Medical Student Research Day
Christian Larsen, MS IV
President, Maryland Beta Chapter
Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
Rachel W. Smith, MS IV
Member, Maryland Beta Chapter
Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
Qi Cao, J.D.
Office of Student Research
The University of Maryland School of Medicine Proudly Presents:
Medical Student Research Day, 2015
The Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Society and the Office of Student Research (OSR) in the Dean's Office have sponsored Medical Student Research Day (MSRD) for nearly 40 years. MSRD is a proud tradition for University of Maryland's medical students to present their research accomplishments to the school and the campus. The presentations are judged, and competitive prizes are awarded in recognition of outstanding research and presentations.
This year, the 38th annual MSRD will be held on Thursday, September 17, 2015 in Bressler Research Building (BRB) and Medical School Teaching Facility (MSTF). The keynote speaker for this year's program is Nevins W. Todd, M.D., Associate Professor of Medicine. Dr. Todd serves as an attending physician in the Medical Intensive Care Unit, on the inpatient and outpatient pulmonary consultative service, and on the pulmonary and critical care services at the Baltimore VA Medical Center. He is the program director for the Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship at the University of Maryland. His research interests include understanding the mechanisms of pulmonary fibrosis and evaluation of genetic and protein abnormalities in lung cancer.
MSRD will begin at noon with the keynote address, and presentation sessions will end near 6:30 pm followed by the awards banquet until 8:00 pm. Please see Preliminary General Schedule below.
Attending the Event
Event attendance is open to the entire UMB campus. UM SOM faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to attend the event.
If you plan to participate in or attend the event, please respond through the online RSVP Form (link below) by Monday, September 14, 2015.
Participation as Presenter
Presentation Registration & Abstract Submission
To present and compete at MSRD, eligible medical students interested in participating must register their presentation and submit the abstract by the deadlines below. Registration and abstracts will be submitted electronically through online forms that will be provided. Detailed instructions will be provided under Guidelines and Procedures sub-section below.
Presentation Registration Deadline Extended: Monday, August 31, 2015, 11:59 pm EST.
Presentations must be registered prior to abstract submission.
Abstract Submission Deadline: Monday, August 31, 2015, 11:59 pm EST.
Late submissions will not be accepted.
Presenter and Research Eligibility
All of the following requirements for eligibility must be met.
- Presenter must be a medical student currently attending the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UM SOM) and who has completed at least one year of medical school.
- Presenter must have conducted the research while matriculated as a UM SOM student and within two years from the date of MSRD, regardless of the location of the research.
- The content of the research must be related to biomedical fields or health topics. Clinical case presentations or vignettes are eligible.
- The research must not have been presented at a previous MSRD.
- The research must not be part of thesis or dissertation research. Dual degree students (MD/PhD and MD/MS) are eligible if the research was conducted prior to PhD or MS training.
Potential participants should also complete the online RSVP Form. See Attending the Event section above.
Guidelines and Procedures
- Invitation to Medical Students
- Guidelines and Procedures. Please read the document carefully and follow the instructions and procedures.
- Presentation Registration Form
- Abstract Submission Form
- Tips for Preparing Presentations
Participation as Judge
We appreciate and extend our thanks to the UM SOM faculty, staff, postdoctoral fellows, residents, and AOA medical student members who have judged this event in the past.
If you are interested in judging the oral or poster sessions, please let us know by completing the Judges Availability Form (see link below) by September 4, 2015. Details regarding the judging process will be provided to MSRD judges prior to the event.
Please also complete the online RSVP Form. See Attending the Event section above.