The Office of Faculty Affairs and Professional Development was created to help faculty find the resources and answers they need to build successful careers at the School of Medicine. We will help campus faculty, community-based faculty and teaching residents develop skills as teachers, evaluators and mentors in our teaching programs.
Our research faculty will find courses and consultation available in grant writing and revision. We'll help faculty develop skills to navigate an academic career successfully, from new faculty orientation through promotion and tenure reviews to retirement. Check back here often for new information!
Graduate Medical Education (GME)
- Serves as a liaison between the School of Medicine faculty and the sponsoring institution for GME programs, the University of Maryland Medical Center in providing oversight for ACGME and other accredited GME programs.
- Develops and implements curricula for faculty in competency-based teaching skills, evaluation, feedback skills and other areas.
- Develops and implements teaching skills programs for residents and fellows.
- Oversees external affiliation agreements for GME training.
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
- The office maintains the School of Medicine's accreditation as an approved provider of CME by the ACCME.
- The office helps School faculty plan and implement courses, from on-site Grand Rounds to live multi-day courses in offsite locations, employing traditional and innovative educational technologies and methods.
- The office provides expertise in the management of commercial support for CME activities, and for managing identified conflicts of interest.
- The office oversees a comprehensive faculty development program.
- The office offers professional development opportunities for physicians planning careers in academic medicine, including programs for Women in Medicine and Minority Faculty in Medicine.