Residencies & Fellowships
The Office of Faculty Affairs and Professional Development assists the University of Maryland Medical System in providing collaborative oversight of postgraduate residency education programs. Activities of the office include, providing professional and staff support for oversight of ACGME-approved programs, providing faculty development for residents who teach medical students, and providing faculty development for faculty engaged in teaching at our affiliate clinical sites.
Graduate medical education training for residents and fellows is offered in a variety of clinical sites. The majority of clinical training occurs at the University of Maryland Medical System, the Baltimore Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Mercy Medical Center. A network of affiliated community hospitals and ambulatory care centers with significant commitment to the importance of a teaching environment provides much of the variety and depth offered to residents and fellows.
GME Programs must seek accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), which is comprised of the following member organizations: American Board of Medical Specialties, American Hospital Association, American Medical Association, Association of American Medical Colleges and the Council of Medical Specialty Societies. GME programs which are new or not yet overseen by the ACGME must be overseen by an equivalent Board or by the UMMC and SOM.
Eligible Residency positions are filled through the National Resident Matching Program. Participating in the Match are the following programs: preliminary programs in medicine and surgery; categorical programs in diagnostic radiology, emergency medicine, family practice, general surgery, internal medicine; combined program in internal medicine/pediatrics, neurology, obstetrics and gynecology, orthopaedic surgery, pathology, pediatrics, combined program in pediatrics/emergency medicine and psychiatry; advanced programs in anesthesiology, diagnostic radiology and radiation oncology.
Resident and/or fellowship positions are available in the following ACGME-approved specialty and subspecialty areas and are sponsored by the University of Maryland Medical System. Programs identified with an asterisk (*) are currently approved University of Maryland Fellowship programs and are not currently overseen by the ACGME. For information on new programs or additional postgraduate training opportunities, please contact the individual departments, or visit the UMMC website or the ACGME directly.
Department of Anesthesiology:
- anesthesiology, critical care, pain management, OB anesthesia*, cardiothoracic anesthesia*
Department of Dermatology:
Department of Diagnostic Radiology:
- diagnostic radiology, vascular and interventional radiology, neuroradiology, nuclear radiology and nuclear medicine
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine:
- preventive medicine
Department of Family Medicine:
- family practice, sports medicine
Department of Medicine:
- internal medicine, cardiolovascular disease, interventional cardiology, clinical cardiac electrophysiology, endocrinology diabetes & metabolism, gastroenterology, geriatric medicine, hematology/oncology, infectious diseases, nephrology, nephrology/renal transplant*, pulmonary disease and critical care medicine, rheumatology, combined program in internal medicine/pediatrics, combined program in internal medicine/emergency medicine, combined program in internal medicine/pediatrics
Department of Neurology:
- neurology, clinical neurophysiology, EEG/epilepsy*, movement disorders*
Department of Neurosurgery:
- neurological surgery
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences:
- obstetrics and gynecology, maternal fetal medicine*
Department of Ophthalmology:
- ophthalmology, glaucoma*, retina ophthalmology*
Department of Orthopaedics:
- orthopaedic surgery, trauma orthopaedics
Department of Pathology:
- pathology, anatomic and clinical pathology, cytopathology
Department of Pediatrics:
- pediatrics, behavioral and developmental pediatrics, critical care, endocrinology, infectious diseases, neonatology-perinatology, combined programs in internal medicine/pediatrics and pediatrics/emergency medicine and pediatric medicine
Department of Psychiatry:
- psychiatry, addiction psychiatry, child and adolescent psychiatry, geriatric psychiatry, forensic psychiatry
Department of Radiation Oncology:
- radiation oncology
Department of Surgery:
- general surgery, endoscopy*, otolaryngology, thoracic and cardiovascular surgery, urology, emergency medicine, pediatric surgery, plastic and reconstructive surgery, vascular surgery, surgical critical care and combined program in pediatrics/emergency medicine, critical care/emergency medicine*, transplant*
Correspondence, applications and residency inquiries should be addressed to the chairperson of the respective department or program in care of:
University of Maryland Medical System
22 South Greene Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201