The Department of Anesthesiology is committed to excellence in clinical service, education, research and faculty development.
We have internationally recognized basic and clinical research programs and valuable partnerships with:
- University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC)
- University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS)
- University of Maryland Faculty Physicians, Inc (FPI)
- University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB)
In addition to providing services at the Baltimore VA Medical Center, our department has multiple divisions at the University of Maryland Medical Center:
Two divisions are at associated institutions:
- Anesthesia Services at UM Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute
- Pain Medicine at UM Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute
News & Announcements
Kenichi Tanaka, MD, Professor, Director of Cardiac Anesthesiology, has been invited to join the Editorial Board of the Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia (JCVA).
Wendy K. Bernstein, MD, MBA, Seema P. Deshpande, MBBS , and Patrick N. Odonkor, MB, ChB, have been selected by The American Board of Anesthesiology to serve as examiners for the American Board of Anesthesiology's Part 2 Examination.
Congratulations to Ron E. Samet, MD, Director, Program in Acute Pain and Regional Anesthesia and his team of University of Maryland bioengineering students (Shawn Greenspan and Stefanie Cohen) on winning First Place ($2000) and the Audience Choice Award ($500) in the Pitch Dingman Competition at the Robert H. Smith School of Business Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship on Novermber 20, 2014. Their product, the Sono-assist Monitor, was invented and designed by Dr. Samet and engineered by the students to continuously monitor blood flow in low perfusion and cardiac arrest states.
4 Department of Anesthesiology Physicians Named
2014 Top Docs by Baltimore Magazine:
Anesthesiology: Mark DiMino, MD, Obi Udekwu, MBBS and Edwin Villamater, MD
Intensivists/Critical Care: Peter Rock, MD, MBA, FCCM
- March 11th – Visiting Professor Resident Lecture: Dr. Daniel Berkowitz
- March 12th – Grand Rounds – Visiting Professor: Dr. Daniel Berkowitz
- April 15th – Visiting Professor Research Lecture: Dr. Tomoki Hashimoto
- April 16th – Grand Rounds – Visiting Professor: Dr. Tomoki Hashimoto
- April 23rd – Bring Your Child to Work Day
- August 1st – 2015 Family Picnic and Crab Feast
- October 14th – 2015 Helrich Matjasko Lecture: Dr. Daniel I. Sessler
- June 6th - 2015 Residency and Fellowship Graduation Celebration