The Transgenic/Knockout Core Facility at the University of Maryland School of Medicine exists to provide assistance in all aspects of the generation of genetically engineered mouse models. The facility is located in Bressler, 7th floor, room 010, with animals housed in a separate, dedicated room in the HSF I 6th floor animal facility.
The main objective of the facility is to provide the expertise, equipment, and technology to produce and preserve genetically modified mouse models for researchers. We provide advice and consultation to investigators in the design of transgenic experiments, analysis of transgenic models, and maintaining transgenic colonies. Facility personnel are also constantly examining and testing new techniques in order to expand the range of services available to the UM community.
Injection of plasmid and lentiviral constructs into fertilized eggs, injection of embryonic stem cells into blastocysts, and electroporation of embryonic stem cells are the major services offered. Please check the sidebar or contact the facililty director for details.
Additional services include assisted reproduction, importation, line rescue, cryopreservation, mycoplasma testing of cell lines, and various molecular services related to genotyping and screening. All services are provided on a fee-for-service basis.
Please be aware that outside institutions are assessed a surcharge to our normal prices as follows:
- 25% Academic and Non-Profit Institutions
- 50% Commercial Entities
- We are currently unable to do cryopreservations or breeding projects for outside institutions.
View our archived news on the History page.
- Pronuclear Injection of DNA Constructs
- Injection of Lentiviral Constructs
- Blastocyst Injection of ES Cells
- Electroporation of ES Cells
- Cryopreservation of Embryos & Sperm
- PCR Genotyping
- Tail DNA Extraction and Analysis
- (2) Xenoworks micro-injection systems with Olympus IX-71 inverted microscopes equipped with DIC and phase contrast optics
- (2) Nikon SMZ-1000 dissecting scopes
- Nikon SMZ-645 microscope for animal surgery
- Nuaire 425 biological safety cabinet for animal surgery
- Sutter P-97 pipet puller
- GlassWoRx F-1200 DeFonbrune type microforge
- Bio-Rad Gene Pulser XCell system with Shockpod chamber
- FTS Bio-Cool III controlled rate freezer
- Taylor-Wharton HC34 liquid nitrogen cryogenic refrigerator
- (2) Sanyo incubators
- Nuaire 425 biological safety cabinet
- Olympus CKX41 inverted microscope