MD/MS BioEngineering Program
The objective of this program with the faculty of the A. James Clark School of Engineering at UMCP is to broaden to educational and research scope of medical doctors in significant fields of bioengineering including biomaterials, biomedical imaging, medical device innovation, medical device development, and drug development. Students applying to the MD program, and who have an engineering degree from an accredited college or university, may:
- apply directly to the MD/MS BIOE program;
- current MD students with engineering degrees may apply directly to the Department of Bioengineering for entrance into the MD/MS BIOE program; or
- applicants to the MD program or current students with degrees chemistry, biology, physics, or mathematics can apply, and their application will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
A thesis and non-thesis option are available in one of two tracks:
- Molecular and Cellular Bioengineering (interests in engineering concepts applied to fundamental molecular and cellular processes as well as engineering devices that are based upon cellular mechanism);
- Biomaterials in Bioengineering (interests in biomaterial fabrication, characterization, and applications in biomedical engineering).
Students interested in dual degree programs should contact: StudentResearch@som.umaryland.edu.