Starting & Managing Student Organizations
Student Council Responsibilities
- The Student Council along with the Office of Student Affairs shall have the power to allocate student organization funds. The Student Council shall allocate funds for its own operation, for class governments, for students groups, and for other events and activities it deems appropriate.
- The Student Council Treasurer shall meet with the Student Council and other administrators to determine the allocation of the student organization fund for the semester. The Student Council Treasurer shall submit the complete budget electronically, along with any surplus from the previous academic year, to the Office of Student Affairs.
- The Student Council shall hold a Student Organization Leadership meeting explaining funding, alcohol policy, faculty advisor policy, fundraising advice etc. Faculty Advisor’s should be invited to attend the meeting so they are also aware of our policies.
- Student organizations may contest their budget allocation in writing and present to the student council for decision.
- If requested, the budget may be viewed by any student organization leader.
- Student Group Leaders must complete a request for funding form at the beginning of the semester, which should include invoices for anticipated purchases.
- Student Group Leaders are encouraged to have the Office of Student Affairs (OSA) make purchases for you.
- Student Group Leaders should complete a funding form if out of pocket expenses (up to the group's balance amount) are paid. No payments above the group's balance amount will be reimbursed.
- Student Group Leaders shall detail their activities for the entire year.
- Student Group Leaders are encouraged to fundraise for their funding to avoid out-of-pocket expenses by group members.
- Student organization funds may not be used as donations to other organizations or individuals.
- Student organization funds may not be used for recreational or dangerous activities (skiing, hiking, rock climbing, surfing etc.).
- Student organization funds may not be used to purchase alcoholic beverages. The funding is intended to help defray expenses of the group.
- Strict accounting of any funds received and/or used is required. Student groups may not open their own bank accounts under any circumstances.
- If class council funds are not used by the end of their graduation year the funds will return to the general student council account.
- Defunct student organization's funds will automatically be returned to the general student council account.
Student Group Leader Responsibilities
- Student Group Leaders must add all student officers, active members, and student organization events to MedScope.
- Student Group Leaders must list external affiliations on MedScope.
- Student Group Leaders are responsible for electing new group leaders prior to the end of the year and transitioning information (email lists, PowerPoints, budget information, Calendars etc.).
- First-year students may not serve in a leadership role for any student organization.
- All Student Groups should hold at least two meetings and have at least one fund raising activity per year.
- An annual report (list of events with coinciding budget report and names of new elected officers) must be reviewed, signed by their faculty advisor and turned into the Office of Student Affairs.
- Failure to comply with student organization rules or supply information requested will result in the withholding of future funding for the group and the inability of the officers to be recognized for their work with the group by the school.
New Student Group Formation
- Organizations seeking recognition as a University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM) student group must provide OSA with a description of the mission of the new group, the name of the proposed faculty advisor and a petition signed by 20% of the student body.
- The Student Council Secretary must verify petition signatures.
- The Office of Student Affairs and the Office of Medical Education Deans must give final approval on the new group’s formation.
- New groups must follow all of the student organization procedures.
- New groups will remain on probation for one year. If rules are broken, the group will be disbanded at that time and shall receive no further funding or recognition.
- Only groups that have been approved will be listed on MedScope. Any groups that lose approval will be removed from MedScope.
Health Fairs and Other Patient Interaction Activities
- Student group leaders must contact the Office of Student Affairs and gain approval prior to having their group members participate in any activity where they are: giving out health related information or advice, conducting any type of health related tests (i.e., glaucoma screenings, blood pressure readings, etc.) or conducting any research or study.
- Student group leaders must contact the Office of Student Affairs and gain approval if their group members will be entering patient rooms for any reason.
- Student group leaders must have a faculty member present at the above mentioned activities once approved. Also, the faculty member must be credentialed to perform the activity being supervised.
- Student groups should not promote or advertise any product, company or entity without the OSA/OME Dean's approval.
Student Organization Resources and Additional Policies
- To reserve rooms, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Outdoor areas may be reserved 2 weeks in advance and may require a fee. To reserve outdoor areas contact the Pine Street Police Station (410-706-6882). University police reserve the right to reject any request.
- To request AV service or multimedia equipment, email email@example.com.
- UMSOM follows and obeys the University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) Policy on the Use of Alcoholic Beverages at the University System Institutions and Facilities.
- Tables may be requested from UMB facilities. Once at their website, click on ‘Enter Work Request for Building Maintenance’.
- The University Student Government Association can be reached at 410-706-7177 or 410-706-2504.
- Student group leaders are responsible for editing and maintaining all information on MedScope. MedScope will only provide technical assistance. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
- All student groups and student events should be inclusive of everyone. Discrimination will not be tolerated.
Last Revision: December 19, 2013