Residency Planning FAQs - Neurosurgery
Why do students choose to train in your specialty? What is it they find attractive?
- Interest in Neuroscience
- Enjoy surgery
- Intellectually and technically challenging
- Interest in technology
What are the top 10 training programs nationally in terms of overall reputation?
- Massachusettes General Hospital
- University of Michigan
- University of Washington
- New York University
- University of California, S.F.
- Johns Hopkins
- University of South Carolina
- University of Florida
- Bana Neurological Institute
What are some good regional programs?
- University of Maryland
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Virginia
- Medical College of Virginia
What are the strengths of the program here at the University of Maryland?
- Clinical Experience
- Research opportunities
- Strong faculty
What are the factors you look at when evaluating an applicant from most important to least important?
- Academic qualification
- Dedication and drive
- Research experience
- Athletic or extra curricular experience
What advice do you have for University of Maryland students interested in your specialty?
- Contact a faculty member early on
- Inquire about research opportunities
- Take an elective
If students have more questions, whom in your department should they contact and how can they reach them?
Residency Training Office