Jon M Hirshon
Epidemiology & Public Health
|Administrative Title: Acting Director
Paca-Pratt Building, 110 S. Paca Street,
Jon Mark Hirshon, MD, MPH, PhD FACEP, FAAEM, FACPM is an Associate Professor in the Department of Emergency Medicine and in the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. He is the former director of the Charles McC. Mathias, Jr. National Study Center for Trauma and EMS and is currently the Senior Vice-Chairman of the University of Maryland, Baltimore's Institutional Review Board. Dr. Hirshon is a federally funded researcher and teacher with specific interest in improving access to acute care and in developing emergency departments as sites for surveillance and hypothesis driven research in public health. He has been the principal investigator on over $6 million in federal research and training grants and is co-investigator on numerous other funded projects. As part of his international work through a National Institutes of Health Fogarty International Center grant, he and his teams have trained approximately 900 physicians from Egypt and multiple other countries in the Middle East in emergency care related topics including the clinical care of trauma patients, disaster preparedness and response, and injury research methods.
Dr. Hirshon is Board Certified in both Emergency Medicine and Preventive Medicine and has authored approximately 80 articles and chapters on various topics, including the development of public health surveillance systems in emergency departments and placing emergency care on the global health agenda. He has represented the American College of Emergency Physicians at numerous public health related national meetings. In addition, he has held leadership positions in state and national organizations, including Chairman of the Public Health Committee for the American College of Emergency Physicians, President of the Maryland Chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians and Governing Councilor of both the American College of Emergency Physicians and the American Public Health Association. He has been honored by his peers and the American College of Emergency Physicians as a "Hero of Emergency Medicine".
Improving access to acute care, including emergency medical services (EMS), emergency department operations, and acute care of the elderly
Emergency Medicine and Preventive Medicine
Grants & Contracts:
- "Injury Prevention Training in Egypt and the Middle East", National Institutes of Health, Fogarty International Center Training Grant
- Crownweb Data Reliability and Validity Contract Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, though Healthcare Management Solutions, LLC, WV
- Epidemiological Research and Statistics Maryland Institute of Emergency Medical System Services contract, Baltimore, MD
- Rapid HIV Testing Services in the Emergency Department-Grants I-V Baltimore City Health Departmet, MD
- Evaluating the Rapid Emergence of Geriatric Emergency Departments UMBC-UMB Seed Grant Program, Baltimore, MD
- Hirshon, J.M. (2000). The rationale for developing public health surveillance systems based on emergency department data. Academic Emergency Medicine, 7(12), 1428-1432. PMID: 11099436
- Hirshon, J.M., Krugman, S.D., Witting, M.D., Furuno, J.P., Limcangco, M.R., Perisse, A.R., & Rasch, E.K. (2002). Variability in institutional review board assessment of minimal-risk research. Academic Emergency Medicine, 9(12), 1417-1420. PMID:12460847
- Nataro, J.P., Mai, V., Johnson, J., Blackwelder, W.C., Heimer, R., Tirrell, S., Edberg, S.C., Braden, C.R., Morris, J.G., Jr., & Hirshon, J.M. (2006). Diarrheagenic Escherichia coli in Baltimore, Maryland, and New Haven, Connecticut. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 43(4), 402-407. PMID: 16838226
- Epstein, S.K., Burstein, J.L., Case, R.B., Gardner, A.F., Herman, S.H., Hirshon, J.M., Jermyn, J.W., et al. (2009). The National Report Card on the State of Emergency Medicine: evaluating the emergency care environment state by state, 2009 edition. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 53(1), 4-148. PMID: 19111195
- Hirshon JM, Warner M, Irvin CB, Niska RW, Andersen DA, Smith GS, McCaig LF. Research Using Emergency Department Data Sets: Current Status and Future Directions. Acad. Emerg. Med. 2009 Nov;16(11):1103-9 PMID:20053229
- Woolard R, Degutis LC, Mello M, Rothman R, Cherpitel CJ, Post LA, Hirshon JM, Haukoos JS, Hungerford DW. Public Health in the ED: Surveillance, Screening and Intervention- Funding and Sustainability. Acad. Emerg. Med. 2009 Nov;16(11):1138-42
- Hsia RY, Razzak J, Tsai AC, Hirshon JM. Placing Emergency Care on the Global Agenda Ann Emerg Med 2010 Aug;56(2):142-9. Epub 2010 Feb 6. PMID: 20138398
- Hall K, Schenkel S, Hirshon JM, Xiao Y, Noskin G. Incidence and types of non-ideal care events in an emergency department. Qual Saf Health Care 19:i20-i25, October 2010.
- Glickman SW, Delgado MK, Hirshon JM, Hollander JE, Iwashyna TJ, Jacobs AK, Kilaru AS; Lorch SA, Mutter RL, Myers SR, Owens PL, Phelan MP, Pines JM, Seymour CW, Wang NE, Branas CC. Defining and measuring successful emergency care networks: a research agenda. Acad Emerg Med 17(12):1297-305, December 2010.
- Pimentel L, Hirshon JM, Barrueto F Jr, Browne BJ. Development of a University-based Emergency Department Network: Lessons Learned. J Emerg Med. Aug 2011. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hayes BD, Zaharna L, Winters ME, Feemster AA, Browne BJ, Hirshon JM. To-Go medications for decreasing ED return visits. Am J Emerg Med. 2012 Nov;30(9):2011-4. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2012.01.027. Epub 2012 Mar 16.
- Helicopter emergency medical services for adults with major trauma. Galvagno SM Jr, Thomas S, Stephens C, Haut ER, Hirshon JM, Floccare D, Pronovost P. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Mar 28;3:CD009228.
- Hirshon JM, Risko N, Calvello EJ, Stewart de Ramirez S, Narayan M, Theodosis C, O'Neill J; Acute Care Research Collaborative at the University of Maryland Global Health Initiative. Health systems and services: the role of acute care. Bull World Health Organ. 2013 May 1;91(5):386-8. Epub 2013 Jan 31
- Albrecht JS, Gruber-Baldini AL, Hirshon JM, Brown CH, Goldberg R, Rosenberg JH, Comer AC, Furuno JP. Depressive Symptoms and Hospital Readmission in Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014 Mar;62(3):495-9
- Hirshon JM, Alson RL, Blunk D, Brosnan DP, Epstein SK, Gardner AF, Lum DL, Moskovitz JB, Richardson LD, Stankus JL, Kivela PD, Wilkerson D, Price C, Bromley M, Calaway N, Geist M, Gore L, Singh C, Wheeler G. America's Emergency Care Environment, A State-by-State Report Card: 2014 Edition. Ann Emerg Med. 2014 Feb;63(2):100-243.