Kashif M. Munir
|Administrative Title: Medical Director Of The University Of Maryland Center For Diabetes And Endrocrinology
827 Linden Avenue,
University of Maryland Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology
Kashif Munir, MD, is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, in the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition. He joined the University of Maryland faculty in 2011, and has extensive clinical experience in treating complex diabetes patients, thyroid disorders, and pituitary diseases. He helped establish a multidisciplinary pituitary practice at the Center and currently sees patients for diabetes, thyroid disease, pituitary and adrenal disorders. Dr. Munir also has active research protocols for pituitary and thyroid diseases, and studies the effects of food polyphenols on insulin resistance and endothelial dysfunction.
Dr. Munir currently serves Vice Division Chief of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition and is the Medical Director at the University of Maryland Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology.
- 1994-1998: M.D.; Temple University School of Medicine
- 1998-2001: Residency, Deparment of Internal Medicine; University of Maryland Medical Center
- 2001-2003: Fellowship, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism; University of Maryland Medical Center
- Thyroid disease
- Pituitary disease
- Insulin resistance and endothelial dysfunction
Thyroid disorders - thyroid dysfunction, thyroid cancer, thyroid biopsies Pituitary and Adrenal diseases - Endocrine hypertension, pituitary tumors Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes: insulin pumps, continuous glucose monitoring, diabetes in pregnancy
- Shuldiner AR, Munir KM. Genetics of Obesity: More complicated than initially thought. Lipids 2003; 38:97-101. PMID: 12733739
- Shuldiner AR, Yang R, Munir KM, Horenstein RB, Gong D. New Progress in Adipocytokine Research. Current Opinions in Endocrinology and Diabetes 2003; 10:115-121.
Aslam MA, Aslam J, Mitchell BD, Munir KM. Association Between Smallpox Vaccination and Hepatitis C Antibody Positive Serology in Pakistani Volunteers. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology 2005; 39:243-246. PMID: 15718868
- Hull K, Horenstein R, Naglieri R, Munir K, Ghani M, Celi FS. Two Cases of Thyroid Storm-Associated Cholestatic Jaundice. Endocrine Pract 2007; 13:476-480. PMID: 17872349
Streeten EA, Munir K, Hines S, Mohamed A, Mangano C, Ryan K, PostW. Coronary Artery Calcification is Not Increased in Primary Hyperparathyroidism Compared to Controls from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Endocrine Pract 2008; 14:155-161.
- Munir KM, Quon MJ. Distinct Mechanisms for Globular Adiponectin That Integrate Vascular and Metabolic Actions of Insulin to Help Maintain Coordinated Cardiovascular and Glucose Homeostasis. Circulation Research 2013; 112:1205-7. PMID: 18308652
- Munir KM, Chandrasekaran S, Gao F, Quon MJ. Mechanisms for Food Polyphenols to Ameliorate Insulin Resistance and Endothelial Dysfunction: implications for diabetes and its vascular complications. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2013; 350:E679-686. PMID: 23900418 (**Highlighted as Editor??Ts Pick**)
- Loper HB, Kant R, Olson J, Streeten E, Munir K. Invasive Pheochromocytoma Presenting as a Right Atrial Mass. Lancet Diabetes Endocinol 2013 (accepted for publication)
Diker-Cohen T, Abraham SB, Rauschecker M, Papadakis GZ, Munir KM, Brown E, Lyssakitos C, Belyavskaya E, Merino M, Stratakis CA. Reninoma Presenting in Pregnancy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2014 Aug;99(8):2625-6. PMID: 24848711
- Lamos EM, Munir KM. Cushing??Ts Disease: Highlighting the Importance of Early Diagnosis for Both De Novo and Recurrent Disease in Light of Evolving Treatment Patterns. Endocr Pract. 2014 Sep 1;20(9):945-55. PMID: 25100372
- Keske MA, Ng HL, Premilovac D, Rattigan S, Kim JA, Munir K, Yang P, Quon MJ. Vascular and Metabolic Actions of the Green Tea Polyphenol EGCG. Curr Med Chem. 2014 Oct 12. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 25312214