- 1973: B.A. (Magna Cum Laude), Mathematics, State University of New York at Albany
- 1974: Master of Science in Public Health, Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 1981: Doctor of Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago
Post Graduate Training
- 1994: Principles and Practices of Data Management for Clinical Trials, The Johns Hopkins Center for Clinical Trials, Baltimore, MD
- 1994: Intermediate Biostatistics, The Johns Hopkins University Graduate Summer Program in Epidemiology, Baltimore, MD
- 1995: Analysis of Longitudinal Data, The Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, MD
- 1996: Outcomes and Effectiveness Research, The Johns Hopkins University Graduate Summer Program in Epidemiology, Baltimore, MD
- 1998: Clinical Trials: Design, Analysis, and Dissemination of Results, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions Center for Clinical Trials, Baltimore, MD
- 2000: Clinical Trials in Eye Research, “A Hands-on Workshop with the Experts”, ARVO Saturday Education Courses, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- 2001: Randomized Trials in Ophthalmology: Past, Present, Future, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Office of Continuing Medical Education,Baltimore, MD
Health disparities in ophthalmology
Journal Articles (Peer Reviewed)
Janerich D, Ellish N, Howe H, Greenwald P. Prevention and early detection. Proceedings of the Third National Conference on Cancer Nursing. American Cancer Society, 6-14, 1982.
Ellish N, Janerich D. Cancer Screening - A State Health Department Prospective. In: Issues in Cancer Screening and Communications, Mettlin C, Murphy G, eds., Alan R. Liss, New York, 67-80, 1982.
Polednak A, Ellish N, Nasca P. Descriptive epidemiology of primary bone cancers in Upstate New York. New York State Journal of Medicine, 84:174-177, 1984.
Ellish N, Jason C, Chen H, Janerich D. A pilot study to detect early pregnancy and early fetal loss. Journal of Occupational Medicine, 28:1069-1074, 1986.
Nasca P, Ellish N, Caputo T, Saboda K, Metzger B. An epidemiologic study of Pap screening histories in women with invasive carcinomas of the uterine cervix. New York State Journal of Medicine, 91:152-156, 1991.
Zenilman JM, Weisman CS, Rompalo AM, Ellish N, Upchurch DM, Hook EW, Celentano D. Condom use to prevent incident STDs: the validity of self-reported condom use. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 22: 15-21, 1995.
Ellish NJ, Saboda K, O'Connor J, Nasca PC, Stanek EJ, Boyle C. A prospective study of early pregnancy loss. Human Reproduction, 11: 406-412, 1996.
Ellish NJ, Zenilman JM, Weisman C. Reliability of partner reports of sexual history in a heterosexual population at a sexually transmitted diseases clinic. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 23, 446-452, 1996.
O’Connor JF, Ellish N, Kakuma T, Schlatterer J, Kovalevskaya G. Differential urinary gonadotrophin profiles in early pregnancy and early pregnancy loss. Prenatal Diagnosis, 18: 1232-1240, 1998.
Zenilman JM, Ellish N, Fresia A, Glass G. The geography of sexual partnerships in Baltimore: applications of core theory dynamics using a geographic information system. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 26, 75-81, 1999.
Hutcheson KA, Drack AV, Ellish NJ, Lambert SR. Anterior hyaloid face opacification after pediatric Nd:YAG laser capsulotomy. Journal of AAPOS 3: 303-307, 1999.
Burnstein Y, Ellish NJ, Higginbotham EJ. Comparison of frequency doubling perimetry with Humphrey visual field analysis in a glaucoma practice. American Journal of Ophthalmology, 129: 328-333, 2000.
Jensen AA, Higginbotham EJ, Guzinski GM, Davis IL, Ellish NJ. A survey of ocular complaints in postmenopausal women. Journal of the Association for Academic Minority Physicians, 11:44-49, 2000.
Ellish NJ, Higginbotham EJ. Evaluating a visual field screening test for glaucoma: how the choice of the gold standard affects the validity of the test. Ophthalmic Epidemiology, 8:297-307, 2001.
Ellish NJ, Higginbotham EJ. Differences between screening sites in a glaucoma screening program. Ophthalmic Epidemiology, 9:225-237, 2002.
Hutcheson KA, Ellish NJ, Lambert SR. Weaning children with accommodative esotropia out of spectacle: a pilot study. British Journal of Ophthalmology 87:4-7, 2003.
Hutcheson KA, Nguyen AT, Preslan MW, Ellish NJ, Steidl SM. Vitreous hemorrhage in patients with high-risk retinopathy of prematurity. Archives of Ophthalmology 136:258-263, 2003.
Ellish NJ, Royak-Schaler R, Passmore SR, Higginbotham EJ. Knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs about dilated eye examinations among African-Americans. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 48: 1989-1994, 2007.
Rutzen A, Schwab L, Ellish NJ et al. Blindness and eye disease in Cambodia. Accepted for publication in Ophthalmic Epidemiology, 2007.
Ellish NJ, Scott D, Royak-Schaler R, Higginbotham EJ. Community-based strategies for recruiting older, African Americans into a behavioral intervention study. Journal of the National Medical Association 101:1104-1111, 2009.
Ellish NJ, Royak-Schaler R, Higginbotham EJ. Tailored and targeted interventions to encourage dilated fundus examinations in older African Americans. Archives of Ophthalmology 129:1592-8, 2011.
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.