Dr. Campbell graduated from Georgetown University with a bachelor’s degree in Biology and Theology and then gained his M.D. from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He held a Health Professions Scholarship with the US Navy during medical school, completed his Pediatrics residency training at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD and went on to practice general Pediatrics at the US Naval Hospital Guam and academic Pediatrics at the National Naval Medical Center, Walter Reed Army Hospital, and the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. He was then trained in Pediatric Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology at the Center for Vaccine Development at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. There, he also earned an MS in Biostatistics and Epidemiology.
He has been a faculty member at the University of Maryland School of Medicine since 2001. From 2007 to 2012, he lived and worked in Uganda for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, mainly in the field of HIV prevention and care. Since 2012, he has also been Vice Chair of the Institutional Review Board and Associate Director of the UMB Clinical Research Training and Mentoring Program.
Dr. Campbell’s research interests include the performance of clinical trials of vaccines in all age groups, the investigation of the epidemiology of vaccine-preventable diseases, and HIV prevention. He has performed trials of vaccines directed against many organisms, including Neisseria meningitidis, Bacillus anthracis, seasonal influenza, pandemic influenza, smallpox, and others. He has overseen trials investigating the use of innovative vaccine administration techniques and coordinated vaccine trials of childhood immunizations at three Pediatric clinic vaccine sites in Maryland. He helped to establish and oversee a microbiology laboratory at the Pediatric hospital in Bamako, Mali and there investigated the causes of invasive bacterial infections, particularly Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae type b. From 2007 to 2012, while a medical officer/epidemiologist with CDC’s Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention and the in-country Associate Director for Science, he lived and worked in Kampala, Uganda on HIV prevention trials as well as research on Nodding Syndrome and other outbreaks.
Dr. Campbell sees patients on the Pediatric Infectious Diseases service and the General Pediatrics service.
- Campbell, JD and Nataro, JN. Pleural Empyema. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1999; 18(8): 675-6.
- Campbell, JD and Levine, MM. Vaccines Against Enteric Bacterial Pathogens. Asian Journal of Paediatric Practice 2001; 5(2):19-37.
- Treanor J, Keitel W, Belshe R, Campbell J, Schiff G, Zangwill K, Wolff M, Klimov A, Levandowski R, Lambert L. Evaluation of a single dose of half strength inactivated influenza vaccine in healthy adults. Vaccine 2002 Jan 15;20(7-8):1099-1105.
- Kotloff KL, Taylor DN, Sztein MB, Wasserman SS, Losonsky GA, Nataro JP, Venkatesan M, Hartman A, Picking WD, Katz DE, Campbell JD, Levine MM, Hale TL. Phase I evaluation of delta virG Shigella sonnei live, attenuated, oral vaccine strain WRSS1 in healthy adults. Infection and Immunity 2002 Apr;70(4):2016-21.
- Surinayam K, Campbell JD, Ashkenazi A. Nontuberculous mycobacterial infections in pediatric acute leukemia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2002 Oct;27(7):558-60.
- Lichenstein R, Suggs AH, Campbell JD. Pediatric Pneumonia. Emergency Clinics of North America, May 2003; 21(2):437-52.
- Levine MM, Campbell JD, Kotloff KL. Overview of vaccines and immunisation. British Medical Bulletin 2002;62:1-13.
- Kamal-Bahl S, Doshi J, Campbell JD. Economic analyses of respiratory syncytial virus immunoprophylaxis in high-risk infants: A systematic review. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2002 Oct;156(10):1034-41.
- Campbell JD, Lagos R, Levine MM, Losonsky GL. Standard and alternative regimens of Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine (polyribosylribitol phosphate-tetanus toxoid conjugate vaccine) elicit comparable antibody avidities in infants. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2002. Sep; 21(9): 822-826.
- Campbell JD, Edelman R, King JC, Papa T, Ryall R, Rennels MB. Safety, Reactogenicity, and Immunogenicity of a Tetravalent Meningococcal Polysaccharide-Diphtheria Toxoid Conjugate Vaccine Given to Healthy Adults. J Infect Dis 2002;186:1848-51.
- Shamoo AE, Campbell JD. The use of experimental drugs during national crisis. Accountability in Research 2003;10:69-84.
- Campbell JD, Sow SO, Levine MM, Kotloff KL. The causes of hospital admission and death among children in Bamako, Mali. J Trop Pediatrics 2004; 50 (3): 158-163.
- Campbell JD, Kotloff KL, Sow SO, Tapia M, Keita MM, Keita T, Diallo S, Hormazabal JC, Murray P, Levine MM. Invasive Pneumococcal Infections Among Hospitalized Children in Bamako, Mali. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2004 July; 23 (7): 642-9.
- Kotloff KL, Corretti M, Palmer K, Campbell JD, Reddish MA, Hu MC, Wasserman SS, Dale JB. Safety and immunogenicity of a recombinant multivalent group A streptococcal vaccine in healthy adults. Phase I trial. JAMA 2004; 292:709-15.
- Sow SO, Diallo S, Campbell JD, Tapia M, Keita T, Keita MM, Murray P, Kotloff KL, Levine MM. Burden of invasive disease caused by Haemophilus influenzae type b in Bamako, Mali: Impetus for routine infant immunization with conjugate vaccine. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2005 June; 24 (6):1-5.
- Treanor JJ, Campbell JD, Brady RC, Keitel WA, Drame M, Jain VK, Innis BL. Rapid licensure of a new, inactivated influenza vaccine in the United States. Human Vaccines November/December 2005; 1(6): 239-244.
- Treanor JJ, Campbell JD, Zangwill KM, Rowe T, Wolff M. Evaluation of the safety and immunogenicity of an inactivated subvirion H5N1 influenzavirus vaccine in humans. New England Journal of Medicine March 30, 2006; 345(13): 1343-51.
- Giudice EL and Campbell JD. Needle-free Vaccine Delivery, in Drugs and Macromolecules Delivery in Pediatrics: Challenges and Opportunities. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 58 (2006) 68-89.
- Campbell JD. Vaccines to protect humans from pandemic avian influenza strains. Maryland Medical Journal 2006;7(1):15-18.
- Harrington SM, Stock F, Kominski AL, Campbell JD, Hormazabal JC, Livio S, Rao L, Kotloff KL, Sow SO, and Murray PR. Genotypic Analysis of Invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae from Mali, Africa Using Semi-automated rep-PCR and Pulsed-Field Gel Electrophoresis. J Clin Micr March 2007 45(3):707-14.
- Simon JK, Pasetti MF, Viret J-F, Mischler R, Munoz A, Lagos R, Levine MM, Campbell JD. A Clinical Study to Assess the Safety and Immunogenicity of Attenuated Measles Vaccine Administered Intranasally to Healthy Adults. Human Vaccines March/April 2007 3(2): 54-58.
- Campbell JD, Donegan S, Long (Clement) K, Chrisley L, Wasserman SS, Kotloff KL. Safety, Reactogenicity, and Immunogenicity of a Recombinant Protective Antigen Anthrax Vaccine Given to Healthy Adults. Human Vaccines 2007 3(6).
- Campbell JD. Pandemic flu vaccine: are we doing enough? Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics 2007 Dec; 82(6):633-5.
- Karakousis PC, Sifakis FG, Montes de Oca R, Amorosa VC, Page KR, Manabe YC, Campbell JD. U.S. medical resident familiarity with national tuberculosis guidelines. BMC Infectious Diseases 2007, 7:89.
- Manabe YC, Campbell JD, Sydnor E, Moore RD. Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome: risk factors and treatment implications. JAIDS 1 Dec 2007; 46(4):456-62.
- Zangwill KM, Treanor JJ, Campbell JD, Noah DL, Ryea J. Evaluation of the safety and immunogenicity of a booster (third) dose of inactivated subvirion H5N1 influenza vaccine in humans. J Infect Dis 2008 Feb 15; 197(4):580-3.
- Keitel W, Campbell JD, Treanor JJ, Walter E, Patel S, He F, Noah D, Hill H. Safety and immunogenicity of an inactivated influenza A/H5N1 vaccine given without or with aluminum hydroxide to healthy adults: results of a phase I-II randomized clinical trial. J Infectious Dis 2008 Nov 1; 198(9):1309-16.
- Page KR, Manabe YC, Adelakun A, Federline L, Cronin W, Campbell JD, and Dorman SE. Timing of therapy for latent tuberculosis infection among immigrants presenting to a U.S. public health clinic: a retrospective study. BMC Public Health. 2008 May 12;8:158
- Talbot HK, Keitel W, Cate TR, Treanor J, Campbell J, Brady RC, Graham I, Dekker CL, Ho D, Winokur P, Walter E, Bennet J, Formica N, Hartel G, Skeljo M, Edwards KM. Immunogenicity, safety and consistency of new trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine. Vaccine 2008 Jul 29;26(32):4057-61.
- Forna F, Moore D, Mermin J, Brooks JT, Were W, Buchacz K, Campbell JD, Downing R, Borkowf CB, Weidle PJ. Hematologic changes associated with zidovudine following single-drug substitution from stavudine in a home-based AIDS care program in rural Uganda. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic Ill). 2009 Mar-Apr;8(2):128-38.
- Rosenberg M, Sparks R, McMahon A, Iskander J, Campbell JD, Edwards KM. Serious adverse events rarely reported after trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine (TIV) in children 6-23 months of age. Vaccine 2009 July 9; 27 (32): 4278-83.
- Keitel WA, Dekker CL, Mink C, Campbell JD, Edwards KM, Patel SM, Ho DY, Talbot HK, Guo K, Noah DL, Hill H. Safety and immunogenicity of inactivated, Vero cell culture-derived whole virus influenza A/H5N1 vaccine given alone or with aluminum hydroxide adjuvant in healthy adults. Vaccine 2009 Nov 5;27(47):6642-8. Epub 2009 Mar 25
- Campbell JD, Chambers CV, Brady RC, Caldwell MC, Bennett NL, Fourneau MA, Jain VK, Innis BL. Immunologic non-inferiority of a newly licensed inactivated trivalent influenza vaccine versus an established vaccine: A randomized study in US adults. Human Vaccines January 2011; 7(1): 81-88.
- Simon JK, Ramirez K, Cuberos L, Campbell JD, Viret JF, Munoz A, Lagos R, Levine MM, Pasetti MF. Mucosal IgA responses in healthy adult volunteers following intranasal spray delivery of a live attenuated measles vaccine. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, March 2011; 18 (3): 355-361.
- Apondi R, Bunnell R, Ekwaru JP, Moore D, Bechange S, Khana K, King R, Campbell JD, Tappero J, Mermin J. Sexual behavior and HIV transmission risk of Ugandan adults taking antiretroviral therapy: 3 year follow-up. AIDS June 19, 2011; 25(10):1317-27.
- Frenck R, Belsche R, Brady R , Winokur P, Campbell JD, Treanor J, Hay CM, Walter EB, Dekker C, Cate TR, Edwards K, Hill H; LeDuc T. Comparison of the Immunogenicity and Safety of a Split-virion, Inactivated, Trivalent Influenza Vaccine (Fluzone®) Administered by Intradermal and Intramuscular Routes in Healthy Adults. Vaccine Aug 5, 2011; 29(34): 5666-74.
- Simon JK, Carter M, Pasetti MF, Sztein MB, Kotloff KL, Weniger BG, Campbell JD, Levine MM. Safety, Tolerability, and Immunogenicity of Inactivated Trivalent Seasonal Influenza Vaccine Administered with a Needle-Free Disposable-Syringe Jet-Injector. Vaccine 2011 Nov 28;29(51):9544-50. (Epub 2011 Oct 8).
- Mujugira A, Baeten JM, Donnell D, Ndase P, Mugo NR, Barnes L, Campbell JD, Wangisi J, Tappero JW, Bukusi E, Cohen CR, Katabira E, Ronald A, Tumwesigye E, Were E, Fife KH, Kiarie J, Farquhar C, John-Stewart G, Kidoguchi L, Panteleeff D, Krows M, Shah H, Revall J, Morrison S, Ondrejcek L, Ingram C, Coombs RW, Lingappa JR, Celum C, for the Partners PrEP Study Team. Characteristics of HIV-1 Serodiscordant Couples Enrolled in a Clinical Trial of Antiretroviral Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis for HIV-1 Prevention. PLoS ONE, Oct 2011; 6(10); e25828.
- Mermin J, Ekwaru JP, Were W, Degerman R, Bunnell R, Kaharuza F, Downing R, Coutinho A, Solberg P, Alexander LN, Tappero J, Campbell JD, Moore DM. Utility of routine viral load, CD4 cell count, and clinical monitoring among adults with HIV receiving antiretroviral therapy in Uganda: randomised trial. BMJ 2011;343:d6792 doi: 10.1136/bmj.d6792.
- Asiimwe F, Moore D, Were W, Nakityo R, Campbell JD, Barasa A, Mermin J, Kaharuza F. Clinical Outcomes of HIV-infected patients with Kaposi’s sarcoma receiving nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor-based antiretroviral therapy in Uganda. HIV Med. 2011 Nov 24. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-1293.2011.00955.x
- Moore DM, Yiannoutsos CT, Musick BS, Tappero J, Degerman R, Campbell JD, Were W, Kaharuza F, Alexander LN, Downing R, Mermin J. Determinants of early and late mortality among HIV-infected individuals receiving home-based antiretroviral therapy in rural Uganda. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011 Nov 1;58(3):289-96.
- Campbell JD, Moore D, Degerman R, Kaharuza F, Were W, Muramuzi E, Odongo G, Wetaka M, Mermin J, Tappero JW. HIV-infected Ugandan adults taking antiretroviral therapy with CD4 counts >200 cells/μL who discontinue cotrimoxazole prophylaxis have increased risk of malaria and diarrhea. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54(8):1204–11 (printed first online at doi: 10.1093/cid/cis013 on March 14, 2012).
- Baeten JM, Donnell D, Ndase P, Mugo NR, Campbell JD, Wangisi J, Tappero JW, Bukusi EA, Cohen CR, Katabira E, Ronald A, Tumwesigye E, Were E, Fife KH, Kiarie J, Farquhar C, John-Stewart G, Kakia A, Odoyo J, Mucunguzi A, Nakku-Joloba E, Twesigye R, Ngure K, Apaka C, Tamooh H, Gabona F, Mujugira A, Panteleeff D, Thomas KK, Kidoguchi L, Krows M, Revall J, Morrison S, Haugen H, Emmanuel-Ogier M, Ondrejcek L, Coombs RW, Frenkel L, Hendrix C, Bumpus NN, Bangsberg D, Haberer JE, Stevens WS, Lingappa JR, and Celum C for the Partners PrEP Study Team. Antiretroviral Prophylaxis for HIV Prevention in Heterosexual Men and Women. N Engl J Med 2012; 367:399-410.
- Campbell JD, Herbst JH, Koppenhaver RT, Smith DK. Oral Antiretroviral Prophylaxis for Sexual and Injection Drug Use Acquisition of HIV: Review of Studies to Date. Amer J of Prev Med. Jan 2013; 44 (1), Supplement 2: A1-A4, S59-S172.
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.