- M.Sc. (Nuclear Physics)University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
- Ph.D. (Nuclear Engineering) University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- Post-doc (Human/Mammalian Genome Analysis) University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
- Low-dose radiation hyper-sensitivity: A potential mechanism for enhancing chemoradiation with docetaxel in human tumor cells.
- Pre-clinical evaluation of chemoradiation with tubulin-targeting drugs in cervical, pancreatic, and gastric tumor-derived cell lines.
- Molecular damage following X-rays or fission neutrons.
- Molecular effects of ELF fields with harmonic content.
- Gene expression following 60-Hz EMF exposure ELF carcinogenesis in an in vitro mouse-cell system.
Radiation oncology is a key modality in the treatment and management of cancer. My current interests focus on understanding how tumor cell killing by radiation can be enhanced with pharmacological agents and how the information on molecular profiles of tumor cells (and their environment)can be utilized to develop new radiotherapy approaches.
Lab Techniques and Equipment:
- The long-term (clonogenic) and short-term (apoptosis, H2AX focus formation) cell survival assays
- Cell cycle analysis
- Imaging of molecules and sub-cellular structures by fluorecent microscopy
- Analysis of proteins and nucleic acids
- Cell culture equipment
- Fluorescent microscopy equipment
- Basic molecular biology equipment
- 250-kVp X-ray irradiator(with or without low dose rate adaptor)
E.K. Balcer-Kubiczek, J. Yin, K. Lin, G.H. Harrison, J.M. Abraham, and S.J. Meltzer, p53 mutational status and survival of human breast cancer MCF7 cell variants after exposure to X-rays or fission neutrons. Radiat. Res., 142, 256-262, 1995.
E.K. Balcer-Kubiczek, G.H. Harrison, X-F. Zhang, Z-M. Shi, J.M. Abraham, W.A. McCready, L.L. Ampey III, S.J. Meltzer, M.C. Jacobs, and C.C. Davis, Rodent cell transformation and immediate early gene expression following 60-Hz magnetic field exposure. Envir. Health Perspect., 104, 1188-1198, 1996.
G.H. Harrison, E.K. Balcer-Kubiczek, Z.-M. Shi, and W.A. McCready, Kinetics of gene expression following exposure to 60-Hz 2 mT magnetic fields in three human cell lines. Bioelectrochemistry and Bioenergetics, 43, 1-6, 1997.
E.K. Balcer-Kubiczek, S.J. Meltzer, L.-H. Han, X.-F. Zhang, Z.-M. Shi, G.H. Harrison, J.T. Qin, and J.M. Abraham, Csa-19, a radiation-responsive human gene, identified by an unbiased two-gel cDNA library screening method in human cancer cells. Oncogene 14, 3051-3057, 1997.
E.K. Balcer-Kubiczek, X.-F. Zhang, L.-H. Han, G.H. Harrison, C.C. Davis, X.-J. Zhou, V. Ioffe, W.A. McCready, J.M. Abraham and S.J. Meltzer, BIGEL analysis of gene expression in HL60 cells exposed to X-rays or magnetic fields. Radiat. Res. 150, 663-672, 1998.
E.K. Balcer-Kubiczek, X.-F. Zhang, G.H. Harrison, X.-J. Zhou, R.M. Vigneulle, R. Ove and J.-F. Xu, Delayed expression of hpS2 and prolonged expression of CIP1/WAF1/SDI1 in human tumor cells irradiated with X-rays, fission neutrons or 1 GeV/n Fe-ions. Int. J. Radiat. Biol. 75, 529-541, 1999.
E.K. Balcer-Kubiczek, G.H. Harrison, C.C. Davis, M.L. Hass and B.H. Koffman, Expression analysis of human HL60 cells exposed to 60-Hz square- or sine-wave magnetic fields. Radiat. Res. 153, 670-678, 2000.
A.S. Kennedy, G.H. Harrison, C.M. Mansfield, X.J. Zhou, J.F. Xu and E.K. Balcer-Kubiczek, Survival of colorectal cancer cell lines with Paclitaxel, radiation and 5-FU: Effect of TP53 and hMLH1 deficiency. Int. J. Oncol. (Radiat. Oncol. Invest.) 90, 175-185, 2000.
E.K. Balcer-Kubiczek, G.H. Harrison, J.F. Xu and P.L. Gutierrez, Coordinate late expression of trefoil peptide genes (pS2/TFF1 and ITF/TFF3) in human breast, colon, and gastric tumor cells exposed to X-rays. Mol. Cancer Therapeutics 1, 405-415, 2002.
Elizabeth K. Balcer-Kubiczek, Mona Attapour, Andrew S. Kennedy, and Mohan Suntharalingam, Cytotoxicity of docetaxel (Taxotere®) used as a single agent and in combination with radiation in human gastric, cervical, and pancreatic cancer cells. Chemotherapy 52, 231-240, 2006.
Elizabeth K. Balcer-Kubiczek, Mona Attapour, and Martin J. Edelman, The synergistic effect of dimethylamino benzoylphenylurea (NSC #639829) and X-irradiation on human lung carcinoma cell lines. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 59, 781-787, 2007.
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.