Dr. Nan received her MBBS in 1994 in China and received her PhD in Preventive Medicine from Chungbuk National University, South Korea in 2002. Before coming to the University of Maryland, Dr. Nan worked as an Instructor of Molecular Epidemiology at the Channing laboratory of Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Nan is currently an Assistant Professor at the Division of Cancer Epidemiology, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, and a member of the Greenebaum Cancer Center at the University of Maryland, Baltimore School of Medicine.
Dr. Nan’s major research interest is in the molecular and genetic epidemiology of cancer. Dr. Nan’s studies are focused on investigating the roles of genetic susceptibility; epigenetic factors, such as methylation; biomarkers; and environmental factors, including diet, and their potential interactions in the etiology and prevention of cancer. Dr. Nan evaluates genetic susceptibility using both candidate gene and multi-stage genome-wide association study (GWAS) approaches. Dr. Nan’s research also includes studies in Molecular Pathological Epidemiology (MPE). In a recent study aiming to evaluate gene-environment interactions in association with colorectal cancer risk, she and her colleagues found that the joint protective effects of regular aspirin use and the T allele of the 8q24 cancer susceptibility SNP rs6983267 on risk was limited to colorectal tumors with activated CTNNB1. Dr. Nan has recently broadened her research to include the molecular epidemiology of virally associated cancers, such as HTLV-1-associated adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma and HIV-associated non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- Nan H, Peters U, Chan AT. Genome-wide gene-environment interaction analysis for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs use in colorectal cancer. 2013; in preparation.
- Nan H, Morikawa T, Kuchiba A, Yamauchi M, Kraft P, Giovannucci EL, Fuchs CS, Freedman ML, Ogino S, Chan AT. Aspirin use, the 8q24 cancer susceptibility SNP rs6983267, and risk of colorectal cancer according to CTNNB1 (ß-catenin) alterations. 2013; Provisionally accepted by JNCI.
- Nan H, Lee JE, Rimm EB, Fuchs CS, Giovannucci EL, Cho E. Prospective study of alcohol consumption and the risk of colorectal cancer by folic acid fortification in the United States. Annals of Epidemiology. 2013; May 29.
- Nan H, Giovannucci EL, Wu K, Selhub J, Paul L, Fuchs CS, Cho E. Pre-diagnostic leukocyte genomic DNA methylation and the risk of colorectal cancer in women. PLoS One. 2013;8(4):e59455.
- Li X, Liang L, Zhang M, Song F, Nan H, Wang LE, Wei Q, Lee JE, Amos CI, Qureshi AA, Han J. Obesity-related genetic variants, human pigmentation, and risk of melanoma. Human Genetics. 2013; March 29.
- Zhang M, Song F, Liang L, Nan H, Zhang J, Liu H, Wang LE, Wei Q, Lee JE, Amos CI, Kraft P, Qureshi AA, Han J. Genome-wide association studies identify several new loci associated with pigmentation traits and skin cancer risk in European Americans. Human Molecular Genetics. 2013; April 1.
- Garcia-Albeniz X, Nan H, Valeri L, Morikawa T, Kuchiba A, Phipps AI, Hutter CM, Peters U, Newcomb PA, Fuchs CS, Giovannucci EL, Ogino S, Chan AT. Phenotypic and tumor molecular characterization of colorectal cancer in relation to a susceptibility SMAD7 variant associated with survival. Carcinogenesis. 2012; Oct 26.
- Phipps AI, Newcomb PA, Garcia-Albeniz X, Hutter CM, White E, Fuchs CS, Hazra A, Ogino S, Nan H, Ma J, Campbell PT, Figueiredo JC, Peters U, Chan AT. Association between colorectal cancer susceptibility loci and survival time after diagnosis with colorectal cancer. Gastroenterology. 2012; May 8.
- Liang G, Nan H, Qureshi AA, Han J. Pre-diagnostic plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin d levels and risk of non-melanoma skin cancer in women. PLoS One. 2012; 7(4):e35211.
- Hutter CM, Chang-Claude J, Slattery ML, Pflugeisen BM, Lin Y, Duggan D, Nan H, Lemire M, Rangrej J, Figueiredo JC, Jiao S, Harrison TA, Liu Y, Chen LS, Stelling DL, Warnick GS, Hoffmeister M, Küry S, Fuchs CS, Giovannucci E, Hazra A, Kraft P, Hunter DJ, Gallinger S, Zanke BW, Brenner H, Frank B, Ma J, Ulrich CM, White E, Newcomb PA, Kooperberg C, Lacroix AZ, Prentice RL, Jackson RD, Schoen RE, Chanock SJ, Berndt SI, Hayes RB, Caan BJ, Potter JD, Hsu L, Bézieau S, Chan AT, Hudson TJ, Peters U. Characterization of Gene–Environment Interactions for Colorectal Cancer Susceptibility Loci. Cancer Research. 2012; 72(8):2036-44.
- Nan H, Du MM, De Vivo I, Manson JE, Liu S, McTiernan A, Curb JD, Lessin L, Bonner MR, Guo Q, Qureshi AA, Hunter DJ, Han J. Telomere Length and Risk of Incident Cutaneous Melanoma. Cancer Research. 2011; 71(21):6758-63.
- Nan H, Xu M, Kraft P, Qureshi AA, Chen C, Guo Q, Hu FB, Curhan G, Amos CI, Wang LE, Lee JE, Wei Q, Hunter DJ, Han J. Genome-wide association study identifies novel alleles associated with risk of cutaneous basal cell carcinoma. Human Molecular Genetics. 2011; 20(18):3718-24.
- Nan H, Xu M, Zhang J, Zhang M, Kraft P, Qureshi AA, Chen C, Guo Q, Hu FB, Rimm EB, Curhan G, Song Y, Amos CI, Wang LE, Lee JE, Wei Q, Hunter DJ, Han J. Genome-wide association study identifies nidogen 1 (NID1) as a susceptibility locus to cutaneous nevi and melanoma risk. Human Molecular Genetics. 2011; Apr 27.
- Han J, Qureshi AA, Nan H, Song Y, Guo Q, Hunter DJ. A Germline variant in the interferon regulatory factor 4 gene as a novel skin cancer risk locus. Cancer Research. 2011; 71(5):1533-9.
- Lin W, Qureshi AA, Kraft P, Nan H, Guo Q, Hu FB, Jensen MK, Han J. ASIP genetic variants and the number of non-melanoma skin cancers. Cancer Causes Control. 2011; 22(3):495-501.
- Nan H, Qureshi AA, Prescott J, De Vivo I, Han J. Genetic variants in telomere-maintaining genes and skin cancer risk. Human Genetics. 2011;129(3):247-53.
- He C, Nan H, Qureshi AA, Han J. Genetic Variants in the 53BP1 Gene and Skin Cancer Risk. J Invest Dermatol. 2010;130(12):2850-3.
- Qureshi AA, Nan H, Dyer M, Hunter DJ, Han J. Polymorphisms of FAS and FAS ligand genes and risk of skin cancer. J Dermatol Sci. 2010;58(1):78-80.
- Nan H, Qureshi AA, Han J. Melanoma susceptibility variants on chromosome 20q11.22 are associated with pigmentary traits and the risk of non-melanoma skin cancer. Br J Dermatol. 2010;162(2):461-3.
- Nan H, Qureshi AA, Hunter DJ, Han J. Genetic variants in FGFR2 and FGFR4 genes and skin cancer risk in the Nurses' Health Study. BMC Cancer. 2009;9(1):172.
- Nan H, Kraft P, Qureshi AA, Guo Q, Chen C, Hankinson SE, Hu FB, Thomas G, Hoover RN, Chanock S, Hunter DJ, Han J. Genome-wide association study of tanning phenotype in a population of European ancestry. J Invest Dermatol. 2009;129(9):2250-7.
- Nan H, Kraft P, Hunter DJ, Han J. Genetic variants in pigmentation genes, pigmentary phenotypes, and risk of skin cancer in Caucasians. Int J Cancer. 2009;125(4):909-17.
- Nan H, Qureshi AA, Hunter DJ, Han J. A functional SNP in the MDM2 promoter, pigmentary phenotypes, and risk of skin cancer. Cancer Causes Control. 2009;20(2):171-9.
- Nan H, Niu T, Hunter DJ, Han J. Missense polymorphisms in matrix metalloproteinase genes and skin cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008;17(12):3551-7.
- Nan H, Qureshi AA, Hunter DJ, Han J. Interaction between p53 codon 72 polymorphism and melanocortin 1 receptor variants on suntan response and cutaneous melanoma risk. Br J Dermatol. 2008;159(2):314-21.
- Han J, Kraft P, Nan H, Guo Q, Chen C, Qureshi AA, Hankinson SE, Hu FB, Duffy DL, Zhao ZZ, Martin NG, Montgomery GW, Hayward NK, Thomas G, Hoover RN, Chanock S, Hunter DJ. A genome-wide association study identifies novel alleles associated with hair color and skin pigmentation. PLoS Genet. 2008;4(5):e1000074.
- Nan H, Song YJ, Yun HY, Park JS, Kim H. Effects of dietary intake and genetic factors on hypermethylation of the hMLH1 gene promoter in gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol. 2005;11(25):3834-41.
- Nan H, Park JW, Song YJ, Yun HY, Park JS, Hyun T, Youn SJ, Kim YD, Kang JW, Kim H. Kimchi and soybean pastes are risk factors of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol. 2005;11(21):3175-81.
- Chung IW, Kim H, Sribney W, Hong JB, Lee CH, Lee KY, Nan H, Kim YS, Manowitz P. Tryptophan hydroxylase polymorphism is associated with age of onset of alcoholism related behaviors. Alcohol. 2005;36(1):1-3.
- Kim YD, Lee CH, Nan H, Kang JW. Kim H. Effects of genetic polymorphisms in metabolic enzymes on the relationships between 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine levels in human leukocytes and urinary 1-hydroxypyrene and 2-naphthol concentrations. J Occup Health. 2003;45(3):160-7.
- Chung IW, Kim H, Lee SI, Hong JB, Kim YD, Nan H, Sribney W, Kim YS, Manowitz P. Evidence for an N-glycosylation polymorphism of arylsulfatase A predisposing to alcoholism in Koreans. Am J Med Genet. 2002;114(2):186-9.
- Nan H, Kim H, Lim HS, Choi JK, Kawamoto T, Kang JW, Lee CH, Kim YD, Kwon EH. Effects of occupation, lifestyle and genetic polymorphisms of CYP1A1, CYP2E1, GSTM1 and GSTT1 on urinary 1-hydroxypyrene and 2-naphthol concentrations. Carcinogenesis. 2001;22(5):787-93.
- Kim H, Cho SH, Kang JW, Kim YD, Nan H, Lee CH, Lee H, Kawamoto T. Urinary 1-hydroxypyrene and 2-naphthol concentrations in male Koreans. Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2001;74(1):59-62.
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.