- Harvard College (AB, 1957)
- Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD, 1961)
- Internship at Strong Memorial/Rochester Municipal Hospital (1961-62)
- Residency at the New York State Psychiatric Institute/Presbyterian Hospital 1962-65
- Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1963-1980
- Cornell University Medical School, 1975-1985
- University of Maryland Baltimore School of Medicine, 1985-present
- President American Psychiatry Association, 1984-85
- Director, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, 1980-1987
- Editor, Hospital and Community Psychiatry/Psychiatric Services, 1981-2004
Mental health services, chronic schizophrenia, chronic mental illness, deinstitutionalization
By Dr. Talbott
Talbott JA: The Death of the Asylum: A Critical Study of the State Hospital, Grune & Stratton, NYC, 1978.
Hales RE, Yudofsky SC, Talbott JA (editors): The American Psychiatric Press Textbook of Psychiatry, APPI, Washington 1984 (1st edition).
Talbott JA, Hales RE (editors: Textbook of Administrative Psychiatry: New Concepts for a Changing Behavioral Health System, APPI, Washington, 2001 (2nd edition)
About Dr. Talbott
Lamb HR: The Perspective of John Talbott: New Directions for Mental Health Services #37, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, 1988 (in which key early papers are reprinted).
Goldman HH: Special Issue: Tribute to John A. Talbott, M.D., editor, Hospital and Community Psychiatry and Psychiatric Services 1981-2004, Psychiatric Services 55:1089-1191, 2004, in which key later papers are reprinted, commented on and books are re-reviewed.
Links of Interest:HELPERS-PRO (Professionalism Project)
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.