Admissions - Non-Academic Standards/Essential Functions
These standards reflect the essential non-academic requirements of the program that the student must master in a distraction-filled environment, to be successful in the DMRT program, graduate from UMB, and be employable:
- dentify visually cellular components and microorganisms utilizing a microscope.
- Interpret visually and distinguish biochemical reactions on slides, plates and test tubes.
- Demonstrate sufficient manual dexterity in order to process specimens; operate, maintain, and repair laboratory equipment; carry out all aspects of laboratory testing procedures.
- Ambulate adequately to collect blood specimens from patients and to perform basic laboratory functions in an established time-frame.
- Demonstrate written and oral proficiency in the English language including the ability to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Exhibit effective communication skills when transmitting data and/or information to faculty, classmates, physicians and other health care personnel.