Brain Sectioning - Minimum Protocol
THE MINIMUM PROTOCOL IS DESIGNED FOR THOSE INSTANCES WHERE TIME AND AVAILABILITY OF SERVICES ARE LIMITED.
IMPORTANT! It is essential that enough space be provided in the containers / bags so that the brain can fix and freeze in its natural shape. To distort the brain tissue to fit in the volume of a small container will render the tissue useless.
- STEP 1: Remove entire brain and as much of the brainstem as possible.
- STEP 2: Section the whole brain into its left and right hemispheres (including the brainstem).
- STEP 3: Fix the ENTIRE RIGHT HEMISPHERE in 10% formalin.
- STEP 4: For the left hemisphere, remove the midbrain / brainstem / cerebellum as a unit by cutting just posterior to the cerebral peduncle.
- STEP 5: Remove the cerebellum from the midbrain / brainstem / cerebellum unit.
- STEP 6: Freeze the cerebrum, midbrain/brainstem and cerebellum in three separate plastic bags at -80o C.