The mission of the Division of Trauma Anesthesiology is to provide outstanding anesthetic care to trauma patients originating from the state of Maryland. Care is delivered at the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, the world’s first freestanding trauma facility, which serves as the primary adult trauma referral center for Maryland and features capabilities which exceed a Level 1 trauma center designation.
The Shock Trauma Center is an eight story building with a capacity of up to 141 patient beds. This includes 12 trauma bays (capable of accommodating 24 patients) in the admitting area or “Trauma Resuscitation Unit”, 38 critical care beds, 44 intermediate care beds, and 12 PACU beds. The rest of the building houses a trauma stat laboratory, pharmacy, multi-chamber hyperbaric facility, 2 dedicated CT scanners, angiography suite, and a rooftop heliport capable of receiving multiple aircraft simultaneously. We see approximately 7,000 admissions a year, of which 5,000 are trauma patients admitted directly from the scene of injury. Half of these patients will be seriously injured and will go to the OR within 24 hours. We do approximately 6,000 OR cases per year, of which 45% are scheduled, 45% are unscheduled and urgent, and 10% are emergent.
- Research: The Shock Trauma Center is participating in a large multicenter research project known as the PROPPR study. This study is investigating the best mix of different blood products to control hemorrhage and positively influence long-term outcomes, such as survival and post-operative complications. Faculty are also assessing non-invasive monitors to assist pre-hospital providers with
triage decisions. One example is a sensor to determine the quality of respiration in patients with cervical spine injuries. Such a device could be used to determine if these patients should have a secured airway prior to transport.
- Education: The Division offers the only full-time fellowship in Trauma Anesthesiology in the country. Instruction is also provided by Division staff to paramedics, student nurse anesthetists, medical students, and anesthesiology residents. The Division is awaiting the completion of a new simulation lab which will further enhance faculty competencies as well as the training of residents, fellows and other health care professionals.
- Chief: L. Yvette Fouche-Weber, M.D., Assistant Professor
- Maged Andrews, M.D., Instructor
- John Blenko, M.D., Associate Professor
- Cynthia Bucci, M.D., Assistant Professor
- Bianca Conti, M.D., Assistant Professor
- Stephanie Esposita, M.D., Assistant Professor
- Samuel Galvagno, D.O., Ph.D., Associate Professor
- Karla M Greco M.D., M.H.S., Assistant Professor
- Thomas Grissom, M.D., Associate Professor
- Mary Hyder, M.D., Assistant Professor
- Albert K Koerner M.D., Assistant Professor
- Maureen McCunn M.D., Associate Professor
- Ron Samet, M.D., Assistant Professor
- Sukhwant Sidhu, M.B.B.S., Instructor
- Robert Sikorski, M.D., Assistant Professor
- Maria K Villacin M.D., Instructor
Read about our Trauma Anesthesiology Fellowship