This title will be used for individuals in a very unique category. Persons in this category do not render specific services in consideration for their stipends. They may not be subject to some tax withholding requirements (see the Taxes and Benefits chart attached). They are not considered employee/trainees. Almost no personnel of UMB will be eligible for this category. Appointments to this title require the prior approval of the Associate Dean.
To appoint an Academic Fellow in the School of Medicine please call the Office of Academic Administration at (410) 706-2656 for further information.
Identification of Academic Fellows
Academic Fellows can be identified by answering the following questions, all of which must be answered in the negative for an appointee to be an Academic Fellow:
- Is the appointee expected to do work of benefit to UMB in consideration for compensation paid by UMB?
- Is the appointee’s funding source a grant, contract or budget item requiring a deliverable product?
- Is the appointee given contractual terms stating work expectations, leave allowances, etc.?
- Is the appointee chosen on the basis of experience and ability to contribute to a UMB program?
- Is the appointee's compensation set with reference to compensation paid to UMB employees of comparable experience with comparable responsibilities?
If these questions all are answered in the negative, it may be proposed to the Associate Dean that the individual be appointed as a Fellow. More detailed information may be explored by the Office of the Associate Dean and the appointing department before a final determination is made.