Changes to Student E-mail Service
E-mail service for School of Medicine (SOM) students will change this summer from the myUMBmail system to the SOM Exchange e-mail system. The old e-mail system is being retired and will no longer provide service. This change will affect continuing and entering SOM students in the following programs:
- MD and MD/PhD
- Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science
- Medical and Research Technology
- Pathology Assistant
- Genetic Counseling
Students, faculty and staff in the School of Medicine need to communicate among themselves about patient health information and other sensitive data. Exchanging such information requires use of an e-mail system capable of handling messages in a private and confidential manner. The SOM Exchange e-mail system gives our academic and professional communities the ability to message each other in a manner that complies with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). Using the SOM e-mail system will help the School safeguard the privacy and confidentiality of sensitive communications. Furthermore, as privacy and security requirements continue to evolve, the School can respond to those changes in a timely and appropriate manner to assure continued compliance.
The SOM Exchange e-mail system is a contemporary messaging system that offers calendaring, contact management, remote access via web and smart phone and many more features. The goal is to make migration from myUMBmail to SOM Exchange as smooth and seamless as possible. Beginning in June, the following steps will occur:
- New students and returning students in the identified programs will receive a SOM Exchange e-mail account. The e-mail address will have the format: Firstname.Lastname@som.umaryland.edu
- Academic Calendars in the School vary by program. Each program will choose a time best suited for account creation or migration.
- Current e-mail messages in the Deleted Items folder of your myUMB Mail (@umaryland.edu e-mail account) will NOT be migrated to your SOM E-mail account. If these e-mail messages are needed, please move them to the Inbox of your myUMB Mail account before your migration date.
- Access to your myUMB Mail (@umaryland.edu e-mail account) will NOT be available after your migration date. E-mails sent to your myUMB Mail account will be forwarded to your SOM e-mail account starting on your migration date until October 1, 2011. After October 1, 2011, e-mails sent to your myUMB Mail account will bounce back to the sender as not received. Please notify interested and important parties of your e-mail address change as to not miss an important e-mail.
- E-mail forwarding from your new SOM E-mail account will NOT be permitted for security reasons.
- Current Address Book and Calendar information within your myUMB Mail account will NOT be migrated to your SOM E-mail account. If this information is needed, please logon to your myUMB Mail account and export them from your myUMB Mail account before your migration date. If help is needed to import this information into your SOM E-mail account, please contact the SOM IS Helpdesk (410-706-3998).
- Only e-mail actually on the myUMB Mail account server can be migrated. For example, if you currently forward your e-mail to Gmail, Yahoo, etc., a copy of these e-mails will NOT be on the myUMB Mail server and hence cannot be migrated to your new SOM E-mail account. Moreover, if using a local mail application to retrieve myUMB Mail and download e-mails locally on your computer, such as Mozilla Thunderbird or Outlook, your myUMB Mail is more-than-likely empty (not kept on the myUMB Mail account) and hence e-mail cannot be migrated to your new SOM E-mail account.
Visit this site regularly for more information and updates.