Personal History:Practice experience includes treatment across the lifespan, full-time physical therapy education and clinical research. Paula presents at national meetings, provides national continuing education and publishes clinical practice and research articles. Her undergraduate degree is from The Pennsylvania State University as a science major; physical therapy training was at Hahnemann University; masters degree in biomechanics and doctoral degree in education are both from University of Delaware. She most recently completed a National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Complementary and Alternative Medicine-funded post doctoral experience at the University of Pennsylvania's Medical School, Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics. She is an Aquatic PT Section past president, secretary and bylaws chair and current co-editor of the Journal of Aquatic Physical Therapy.
Research Interests:Paula Geigle, PT, PhD is the first recipient of the Aquatic Physical Therapy Section's $5,000 SwimEx Clinical Research Grant. Her study, entitled "Role of Aquatic Exercise in Breast Cancer Related Lymphedema Management," will use a single-blind pilot study to determine whether the addition of aquatic exercise provides a clinically important benefit to women with symptomatic BCRL who are aquatic exercise näive.
PublicationsPeer Review Journal Articles
- Farrell E, Geigle P. Effects of a Multi-faceted Rehabilitation Program with a Non-ambulatory Child with Cerebral Palsy: A Case Report. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice. Accepted for publication December 2009.
- Geigle PR, Galantino ML. Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Physical Therapist Curricula. Accepted International Physiotherapy Research Journal, December 2008.
- Degano A, Geigle P. Use of Aquatic Physical Therapy in the Treatment of Balance and Gait Impairments Following Traumatic Brain Injury: A Case Report. Journal of Aquatic Physical Therapy. In press. December, 2008.
- Mishra SI, Aziz NM, Scherer R, Geigle P, Baquet CR, Berlanstein D Cochrane Review Proposal: Exercise Intervention on Health Related Quality of Life of Cancer Survivors.
- Parker LN, Geigle PR. Management of a young girl with back pain of unknown origin. Journal of Aquatic Physical Therapy.2007;16(2).
- Geigle PR, Norton C. Optimal Aquatic Practice. Journal of Aquatic Physical Therapy. Winter, 2005.
- Galantino ML, Bzdewka TM, Eissler JL, Holbrook ML, Mogck EP, Geigle PR, Farrar JT. The Impact of Modified Hatha Yoga on Chronic Low Back Pain: A Pilot Study. Alternative Therapies in Medicine, April, 2004.
- Gulick DT, Geigle PR. Validity of Underwater Measurement of Body Fat Composition. Journal of Strength and Conditioning, May 2003.
- Brody LT, Geigle PR. Aquatic Rehabilitation and Training. Human Kinetics. Champaign, IL. available June 2009.
- Geigle PR. Aquatic Therapy Implications in Goodman CC, Fuller K: Pathology: Implications for the Physical Therapist,3/e, Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders, Nov. 2008.
Links of Interest:Textbook: Aquatic Exercise for Rehabilitation Training
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.