My research interests focus on the molecular and cellular biology of the regulation in lipid metabolism. We have identified the protein-protein interactions between major lipases (HSL and ATGL) and lipid droplet-associated proteins and their relevance to the regulation of lipolysis. Also, we found that perilipin 5 has the unique characteristics of being associated with mitochondria among the perilipin family proteins. My current research is to further determine the molecular mechanisms underlying this association between perilipin 5 and mitochondria in terms of fatty acid metabolism in oxidative organs and tissues. A variety of approaches are implied including confocal microscopy, real time PCR, proteomics, transgenic or knockout mouse models.
- Konige M, Wang H, and Sztalryd C. Role of adipose specific lipid droplet proteins in maintaining whole body energy homeostasis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013 May 17. [Epub ahead of print]. Review.
- Wang H, Sreenivasan U, Gong DW, O'Connell KA, Dabkowski ER, Hecker PA, Ionica N, Konig M, Mahurkar A, Sun Y, Stanley WC, and Sztalryd C. Cardiomyocyte-specific perilipin 5 overexpression leads to myocardial steatosis and modest cardiac dysfunction. J Lipid Res. 2013. 54(4):953-65.
- Sun Z, Miller RA, Patel RT, Chen J, Dhir R, Wang H, Zhang D, Graham MJ, Unterman TG, Shulman GI, Sztalryd C, Bennett MJ, Ahima RS, Birnbaum MJ, and Lazar MA. Hepatic Hdac3 promotes gluconeogenesis by repressing lipid synthesis and sequestration. Nat Med. 2012. Nat Med. 2012. 18(6):934-42.
- Liu J, Hoppman N, O'Connell J, Wang H, Streeten E, McLenithan J, Mitchell B, Shuldiner A. A functional haplotype in EIF2AK3, an ER stress sensor, is associated with lower bone mineral density. J Bone Miner Res. 2012. 27(2):331-41.
- Wang H, Sreenivasan U, Hu H, Saladino A, Polster BM, Lund LM, Gong DW, Stanley WC, and Sztalryd C. Perilipin 5, a lipid droplet-associated protein, provides physical and metabolic linkage to mitochondria. J Lipid Res. 2011. 52(12):2159-68.
- Wang H and Sztalryd C. Oxidative tissue: perilipin 5 links storage with the furnace. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2011. 22(6):197-203. Review.
- Wang H, Bell M, Sreenivasan U, Hu H, Liu J, Dalen K, Londos C, Yamaguchi T, Rizzo MA, Coleman R, Gong D, Brasaemle D, and Sztalryd C. Unique Regulation of Adipose Triglyceride Lipase (ATGL) by perilipin 5, a lipid droplet-associated protein. J Biol Chem. 2011. 286(18):15707-15.
- Wang H, Hu L, Dalen K, Dorward H, Marcinkiewicz A, Russell D, Gong D, Londos C, Yamaguchi T, Holm C, Rizzo MA, Brasaemle D, Sztalryd C.Activation of hormone-sensitive lipase requires two steps, protein phosphorylation and binding to the PAT-1 domain of lipid droplet coat proteins. J Biol Chem. 2009. 284(46):32116-25.
- Bell M, Wang H, Chen H, McLenithan JC, Gong DW, Yang RZ, Yu D, Fried SK, Quon MJ, Londos C, Sztalryd C. Consequences of lipid droplet coat proteins down -regulation in liver cells: Abnormal lipid droplet metabolism and induction of insulin resistance. Diabetes. 2008. 57(8):2037-45.
- An Z, Wang H, Song P, Dong Y, Gong X, Zou MH. Nicotine-induced activation of AMP-activated protein kinase inhibits fatty acid synthase in 3T3-L1 adipocytes: a role for oxidant stress. J Biol Chem. 2007. 282(37):26793-801. (Co-first author)
- Wang H, Edens NK. mRNA expression and antilipolytic role of phosphodiesterase 4 in rat adipocytes in vitro. Journal of Lipid Research. 2007. 48(5):1099-1107.
- Wang H, Reaves LA, Edens NK. Ginseng extract inhibits lipolysis in rat adipocytes in vitro by activating phosphodiesterase 4. Journal of Nutrition. 2006. 136(2): 337-342.
- Li J, Wang H, Stoner GD, Bray TM. Dietary supplementation with cysteine prodrugs selectively restores tissue glutathione levels and redox status in protein-malnourished mice. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 2002. 13(10): 625-633.
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.