- Ankara University DTCF, Ankara, Turkey, Lisans, Philosophy, 1972.
- Washington University, St. Louis, MO, M.A., Psychology,1975.
- University of California, Irvine CA, Ph.D., Biological Sciences, 1981.
- Assistant Professor, Dept. Biology, Cumhuriyet University, Sivas, Turkey, 1982-1984.
- Assistant Professor, Dept. Histology and Embryology, Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey, 1984-1985.
- Research Associate, Center for Neural Sciences, Brown University, Providence, RI, 1985-1987.
- Postdoctoral Associate, Dept. Brain and Cognitive Sciences, M.I.T., Cambridge, MA, 1987-1989.
- Research Scientist, Dept. Brain and Cognitive Sciences, M.I.T., Cambridge, MA, 1994-1999.
- Associate Professor, Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy and Neuroscience Center of Excellence, Louisiana State University Medical Center, New Orleans, LA 1994-1999.
- Professor, Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy and Neuroscience Center of Excellence, Louisiana State University Medical Center, New Orleans, LA 1999-2006.
- Visiting Professor, Department of Neurobiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, 2005-2006
- Professor, Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 2006-Present.
- Cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying axon-target interactions in mammalian sensory pathways.
- Neurotrophin-mediated influences on axon growth patterns in developing and regenerating sensory pathways.
- Molecular mechanisms of sensory axon elongation and arborization.
- Activity-dependent refinement of synaptic connections.
- NMDA receptor-mediated development and patterning of subcortical somatosensory and thalamocortical axons and postsynaptic dendrites.
- Alterations in somatosensory development in transgenic and knockout mouse models.
Lab Techniques and Equipment:
Organotypic explant cultures, anatomical tracing and neuronal labeling techniques, in vivo and in vitro brain slice electrophysiology, molecular biology, confocal microscopy, imaging techniques.
Erzurumlu, R.S. (2007). Mechanisms of plasticity in the development of cortical somatosensory maps. In Developmental and Comparative Neuroscience: Epigenetics, Evolution, & Behavior. (M.S. Blumberg, J.H. Freeman, S.R. Robinson, eds.) Oxford University Press (in press).
Erzurumlu, R.S. (2007). Development of the somatosensory cortex and patterning of afferent projections. In The Somatosensation (A. I. Basbaum and J. H. Kaas, eds.) Handbook of the Senses. Elsevier (in press).
Lo, F.-S., and Erzurumlu, R.S. (2007) Conversion of functional synapses into silent synapses in the trigeminal brainstem after neonatal peripheral nerve transection. J Neurosci. 27:4929-4934.
Erzurumlu RS, and Iwasato T (2006) Patterning of the somatosensory maps with NMDA receptors. In Development and Plasticity in Sensory Thalamus and Cortex (Erzurumlu RS, Guido W, and Molnar Z eds.) Springer, pp. 158-182.
Erzurumlu RS, Chen ZF, and Jacquin MF (2006) Molecular determinants of the face map development in the trigeminal brainstem. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol. 288:121-34.
Genc B, Ulupinar E, and Erzurumlu RS (2005) Differential Trk expression in explant and dissociated trigeminal ganglion cell cultures. J. Neurobiol. 64:145-56.
Lee LJ, IwasatoT, Itohara S, and Erzurumlu RS. (2005) Exuberant thalamocortical axon arborization in cortex-specific NMDAR1 knockout mice. J. Comp. Neurol. 485:280-92.
Lee LJ, and Erzurumlu RS. (2005) Altered parcellation of neocortical somatosensory maps in NMDA receptor-deficient mice. J. Comp. Neurol. 485:57-63.
Lee LJ, Lo FS, and Erzurumlu RS (2005) NMDA receptor-dependent regulation of axonal and dendritic branching. J. Neurosci. 25:2304-2311.
Ozdinler, P.H, Ulupinar, E., and Erzurumlu, R.S. (2005) Dose and age-dependent axonal responses of embryonic trigeminal neurons to localized NGF via p75(NTR) receptor. J Neurobiol. 62:189-206.
Genc B, Ozdinler PH, Mendoza AE, Erzurumlu RS. (2004) A chemoattractant role for NT-3 in proprioceptive axon guidance. PLoS Biol. 2:2112-2121.
Ozdinler, P.H, Ulupinar, E., and Erzurumlu, R.S. (2004) Local neurotrophin effects on central trigeminal axon growth patterns. Dev. Brain Res.151:55-66.
Lo, F.-S. and Erzurumlu, R.S. (2002) L-Type calcium channel-mediated plateau potentials in barrelette cells of the principal trigeminal nucleus during structural plasticity. J. Neurophysiol., 88: 794-801.
Ozdinler, P.H., and Erzurumlu, R.S. (2002) Slit2, a branching/arborization factor for sensory axons in the mammalian central nervous system. J. Neurosci., 22:4540-4549.
Datwani. A., Iwasato, T., Itohara, S. and Erzurumlu, R.S. (2002) Lesion-induced thalamocortical axonal plasticity in the S1 cortex is independent of NMDA receptor function in excitatory cortical neurons. J. Neurosci.,. 22: 9171-9175.
Datwani. A., Iwasato, T., Itohara, S. and Erzurumlu, R.S. (2002) NMDA receptor-dependent pattern transfer from afferents to postsynaptic cells and dendritic differentiation in the barrel cortex. Mol. Cell. Neurosci., 21: 477-492.
Guido, W., Lo, F.-S., and Erzurumlu, R.S. (2001) Synaptic plasticity in the trigeminal principal nucleus during the period of barrelette formation and consolidation. Dev Brain Res.,132: 97-102.
Genc, B., Ma, L., and Erzurumlu, R.S. (2001) Whisker-related neural patterns develop normally despite severe whisker defects in Msx2 knockout mice. Dev. Brain Res., 132: 107-111.
Haeberle, A.S. and Erzurumlu, R.S. (2001) Target specific differentiation of peripheral trigeminal axons in rat-chick chimeric explant cocultures. Dev. Brain Res., 131:1-8.
Erzurumlu, R.S. and Kind P. (2001) Neural activity: Sculptor of "barrels" in the neocortex. Trends. Neurosci., 24: 589-595.
Ozdinler, P.H. and Erzurumlu, R.S. (2001) Regulation of neurotrophin-induced axonal responses via Rho GTPases. J. Comp. Neurol.,438: 377-387.
Lo, F.-S. and Erzurumlu, R.S. (2001) Neonatal deafferentation does not alter membrane properties of developing trigeminal principal sensory nucleus neurons. J. Neurophysiol., 85: 1088-1096.
Iwasato, T., Datwani, A., Wolf, A.M., Nishiyama, H., Taguchi, Y., Tonegawa, S., Knapfel,T., Erzurumlu, R.S., and Itohara, S. (2000) Cortex-restricted disruption of NMDAR1 impairs neuronal patterns in the barrel cortex. Nature 406: 726-731.
Ulupinar, E., Jacquin, M.F., and Erzurumlu, R.S. (2000) Differential effects of NGF and NT-3 on embryonic trigeminal axon growth patterns. J. Comp. Neurol., 425: 202-218.
Ganhan-Agar, E., Haeberle, A., and Erzurumlu, R.S. (2000) Directional specificity and patterning of sensory axons in cocultures of trigeminal ganglion and whiskerpad explants. Dev. Brain Res., 119: 277-281.
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.