Education and Training
- 1989-1995: M.D., University of Istanbul, Cerrahpasa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
- 1995-1998: Resident in General Surgery, University of Istanbul, Cerrahpasa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
- 1998-2001: Resident in Internal Medicine, Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center, New York, New York
- 2001-2004: Fellow in Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois
- 2004-2005: Fellow in Advanced Hepatology, Center for Liver Diseases, University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida
- 2005-2007: M.P.H. (Track: Epidemiology and Biostatistics), University of Maryland, Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland
Positions and Employment
- 2005-Present: Assistant Professor of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 2005-Present: Attending Physician, Baltimore VA Medical Center, Baltimore, Maryland
Honors and Awards
- 2002 - Winner of the Biannual Chicago Academic Debate entitled “Liver Disease: Controversies in the New Millennium”
- 2002 - Third Place Abstract Presentation in Annual Research Prize Competition of the Chicago Society for Gastroenterology
- 2004 - Recipient of 2004 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) Advanced Hepatology Fellowship Award
- 2010 - Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award (NIH K23)
- 2011 - Presidential Poster of Distinction at the Liver Meeting 2011 of the American Association of the Study for Liver Diseases (AASLD)
Board Certifications (American Board of Internal Medicine)
- Certified as a Diplomate in Internal Medicine
- Certified as a Diplomate in Gastroenterology
- Certified as a Diplomate in Transplant Hepatology
Dr. Mindikoglu's research is focused on kidney dysfunction in cirrhosis, novel biomarkers of glomerular filtration rate and altered kidney hemodynamics in cirrhosis. Her research also includes analysis of outcomes of patients on the US liver transplant waiting list and after liver transplantation. Her research is funded by The National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK). Dr Mindikoglu is the Principal Investigator in the following grant/research study:
Gender Disparity in Liver Transplantation
NIDDK 5 K23 DK089008-03
- Evaluation and treatment of patients with chronic liver diseases [e.g. acute and chronic viral hepatitis (e.g. hepatitis B, hepatitis C, autoimmune hepatitis, primary biliary cirrhosis, ischemic hepatitis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, alcoholic liver disease, Wilson disease, hereditary hemochromatosis, alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, sickle cell disease/anemia-associated liver disorders, pregnancy-associated liver disorders, liver disorders associated with systemic diseases (e.g. amyloidosis, sarcoidosis), drug-induced liver injury, toxic liver disease, cirrhosis, nodular regenerative hyperplasia, hepatic cysts, hepatic tumors]
- Evaluation and management of complications of cirrhosis (ascites, esophageal/gastric variceal bleeding, bleeding due to gastric antral vascular ectasia, bleeding due to portal hypertensive gastropathy, hepatic encephalopathy, hepatocellular carcinoma, hepatorenal syndrome, spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, porto-pulmonary syndrome, hepato-pulmonary syndrome, acute kidney injury in cirrhosis)
- Evaluation of patients with end-stage liver disease for liver transplantation or simultaneous liver- kidney or liver-heart or liver-lung or liver-multiorgan transplantation
- Evaluation of patients with cirrhosis for transjugular intrahepatic porto-systemic (TIPS) shunt placement
- Evaluation and treatment of patients with acute liver failure
- Long-term management of post-liver transplant patients (e.g. management of acute and chronic graft rejection, immunosuppressive medication management, post-liver transplant recurrent hepatitis B and C treatment, management of post-liver transplant recurrent liver disease)
- Evaluation, management and treatment of General Gastroenterology patients
- Procedures including esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD), EGD with biopsy, EGD with variceal banding, EGD with esophageal dilation, enteroscopy, colonoscopy, colonoscopy with biopsy, colonoscopy with polypectomy, colonoscopy with dilation, flexible sigmoidoscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy with biopsy, flexible sigmoidoscopy with polypectomy, percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) placement, capsule endoscopy, endoscopic control of bleeding, argon plasma coagulation (APC) and liver biopsies
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
1. Mindikoglu AL, Anantharaju A, Villanueva J, Shah N, Van Thiel DH. Pericardiocentesis and pancreatic aspiration needle biopsy in coagulopathic and thrombocytopenic cirrhotic patient. Chest 2003; 123:956-8.
2. Mindikoglu AL, Anantharaju A, George M, Shah N, Villanueva J, Van Thiel DH. Acute intracranial hemorrhage in a cirrhotic controlled with recombinant human factor VIIa. Dig Dis Sci 2003; 48:1130-5.
3. Van Thiel DH, Anantharaju A, Mindikoglu AL, Shah N, Leone N, Bejna J, Tarasuk G, Todo A, Mobarhan S, George M. Modulation of endothelial cell inflammatory integrins and stress markers with rh-Factor VIIa in patients with advanced chronic hepatitis C. J Viral Hepat 2003; 10:310-7.
4. Anantharaju A, Mehta K, Mindikoglu AL, Van Thiel DH. Use of activated recombinant human factor VII (rhFVIIa) for colonic polypectomies in patients with cirrhosis and coagulopathy. Dig Dis Sci 2003; 48:1414-24.
5. Mindikoglu AL, Anantharaju A, Hartman GG, Li SD, Villanueva J, Van Thiel DH. Prochlorperazine-induced cholestasis in a patient with alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. Hepatogastroenterology 2003; 50:1338-40.
6. Mindikoglu AL, Anantharaju A, George M, Leone N, Bejna J, Van Thiel DH. Splenic embolization in a Jehovah’s Witness: role of recombinant human factor VIIa. Hepatogastroenterology 2003; 50: 1697-9.
7. George MM, Li SD, Mindikoglu AL, Baluch MH, Dhillon S, Farr D, Van Thiel DH. Platelet sparing effect of COX II inhibition used with pegylated interferon alfa-2a for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C: short term pilot study. Cytokine 2004; 27:159-65.
8. Van Thiel DH, George M, Mindikoglu AL, Baluch MH, Dhillon S. Coagulation and fibrinolysis in individuals with advanced liver disease. Turk J Gastroenterol 2004; 15:67-72.
9. Karasu Z, Mindikoglu AL, Van Thiel DH. Cardiovascular problems in cirrhotic patients. Turk J Gastroenterol 2004; 15:126-32.
10. Mindikoglu AL, Miller JS, Borge MA, Van Thiel DH. Post-transplant IVC occlusion and thrombosis treated with tPA, heparin and sharp recanalization. J Gastroenterol 2005; 40:302-5.
11. Van Thiel DH, Farr D, Mindikoglu AL, Todo A, George M. Recombinant human factor VIIa induced alterations in tissue factor and thrombomodulin in patients with advanced liver cirrhosis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005; 20:882-9.
12. Mindikoglu AL, Regev A, Levi JL, Casillas J, Schiff ER. Focal nodular hyperplasia in identical twins. Am J Gastroenterol 2005; 100:1616-9.
13. Bayraktar Y, Mindikoglu AL, Van Thiel DH. Postoperative infections in cirrhotic patients. Hepatogastroenterology 2005; 52:1240-3.
14. Mindikoglu AL, Regev A, O’Sullivan MJ, Schiff ER. Multiple normal deliveries in a woman with severe portal hypertension due to congenital hepatic fibrosis: the importance of preserved hepatocellular function. Am J Gastroenterol 2005; 100:2359-61.
15. Mindikoglu AL, Regev A, Schiff ER. Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of the liver. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005; 3:(7).
16. Mindikoglu AL, Regev A, Casanova-Romero PY, Bejarano PA, Martinez EJ, Tzakis AG, Schiff ER. The impact of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and the metabolic syndrome on progression of fibrosis in patients with recurrent HCV after liver transplantation. Transplant Proc 2006; 38: 1440-4.
17. Mindikoglu AL, Regev A, Schiff ER. Hepatitis B reactivation following cytotoxic chemotherapy: the disease and its prevention. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006; 4:1076-81.
18. Mindikoglu AL, Li SD, Yong SL, Borge MA, Brems J, Van Thiel DH. HELLP syndrome complicated bile duct injury and subsequent left lobe atrophy. Dig Dis Sci 2006; 51:1206-12.
19. Mindikoglu AL, Regev A, Bejarano PA, Martinez EJ, Jeffers LJ, Schiff ER. Imatinib mesylate (gleevec) hepatotoxicity. Dig Dis Sci 2007; 52:598-601.
20. Mindikoglu AL, Regev A, Magder LS. Impact of human immunodeficiency virus on survival after liver transplantation. Analysis of United Network for Organ Sharing database. Transplantation 2008; 85:359-68.
21. Mindikoglu AL, Miller RR. Hepatitis C in the Elderly: Epidemiology, natural history and treatment. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009; 7:128-34.
22. Mindikoglu AL, Magder LS, Regev A. Outcome of liver transplantation for drug-induced acute liver failure in the United States. Analysis of the United Network for Organ Sharing Database. Liver Transpl 2009; 15:719-29 (accompanied by an editorial in Liver Transpl 2009; 15:675-6).
23. Bhagat V, Mindikoglu AL, Nudo CG, Schiff ER, Tzakis AG, Regev A. Outcomes of liver transplantation in patients with cirrhosis due to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis versus patients with cirrhosis due to alcoholic liver disease. Liver Transpl 2009; 15:1814-20.
24. Mindikoglu AL, Regev A, Seliger SL, Magder LS. Gender disparity in liver transplant waiting list mortality: The Importance of kidney function. Liver Transpl 2010;16:1147-57. PMCID: PMC3119710.
25. Mindikoglu AL, King D, Magder LS, Ozolek JA, Mazariegos GV, Shneider BL. Valproic acid-associated acute liver failure in children: case report and analysis of liver transplantation outcomes in the United States. J Pediatr 2011;158: 802-7. PMCID: PMC3075355.
26. Mindikoglu AL, Raufman JP, Seliger SL, Howell CD, Magder LS. Simultaneous liver-kidney versus liver transplantation alone in patients with end-stage liver disease and kidney dysfunction not on dialysis. Transplant Proc 2011; 43:2669-77. PMCID: PMC3212397.
27. Magder LS, Regev A, Mindikoglu AL. Comparison of Seven Liver Allocation Models with Respect to Lives Saved Among Patients on the Liver Transplant Waiting List. Transpl Int 2012; 25: 409-15. PMCID: PMC3305837.
28. Aslinia FM, Wasan SK, Mindikoglu AL, Adeyemo OA, Philosophe B, Drachenberg C, Howell CD. End-stage renal disease and African-American race are independent predictors of mild liver fibrosis in patients with chronic hepatitis C infection. J Viral Hepat 2012; 19:371-6. PMCID: PMC3328295.
29. Weinstein DH, Twaddell WS, Philosophe B, Raufman JP, Mindikoglu AL. SlimQuick-associated hepatotoxicity in a woman with alpha-1 antitrypsin heterozygosity. World J Hepatol 2012; 4: 154:7. PMCID: PMC3345540.
30. Mindikoglu AL, Emre SH, Magder LS. Impact of estimated liver volume and liver weight on gender disparity in liver transplantation. Liver Transpl (In Press).
1. Van Thiel DH, Mindikoglu AL, Anantharaju A, Baluch M, Dhillon S, George MM, Brems J, Li SD, Hamdani R. Unusual indications for liver transplantation. In: Busuttil R, Klintmalm G. Transplantation of the Liver, 2nd Edition, W. B. Saunders, 2005: 275-84.
1. Aslinia F, Mindikoglu AL. Radiofrequency ablation in patients with hepatocellular Carcinoma (Letter to the Editor). Hepatology 2009; 50:2053.
1. Mindikoglu AL, George M, Ion-Nedelcu N, Farr D, Van Thiel DH. Hepatic and plasma leptin levels in chronic hepatitis C. In: 12th International Congress of Endocrinology- 12th ICE. Italy: Medimond S.r.l. International Proceedings Division, 2004: Volume ISBN 978-88-7587-071-3, pages 557-69.