Selen M. Catania
UMB BioPark I,
I received my PhD in Molecular and Cellular Biology in from Institute of Biological Sciences, University of Attila Jozsef, in Szeged, Hungary. My thesis invovled characterizing expression and function of several non-collagenous extracellular matrix protein genes during vertebrate development. My post-doctoral training focused on developmental biology, chromatin remodeling in cancer biology, and the design of improved lentiviral vectors for more effective gene transfer to embryonic stem cells. I joined Dr. Dudley Strickland's laboratory as a post-doctoral fellow in 2008 to work on the role of inflammation in vascular disease. In 2011, I was appointed as Research Associate in Department of Physiology.
My recent work has been focused on the role of inflammation and vascular disease. This work has emphasized the contribution of lipoprotein receptors to regulating inflammation and vascular remodeling. We successfully identified in the role of macrophage LDL receptor related protein 1 (LRP1) in modulating the TGF-beta signaling pathway during vascular injury.
Currently, I am focusing on two distinct roles of LRP1: 1. in smooth muscle cell biology and its role in development and protection of vasculature 2. in dyslipidemia and insulin signaling.
- Muratoglu S, Bachrati C, Malpeli M, Szabo P, Neri M, Dozin B, Deak F, Cancedda R, Kiss I. (1995) Expression of the cartilage matrix protein gene at different chondrocyte developmental stages. Eur J Cell Biol. Dec; 68(4):411-8.
- Szuts V, Mollers U, Bittner K, Schurmann G, Muratoglu S, Deak F, Kiss I, Bruckner P. (1998) Terminal differentiation of chondrocytes is arrested at distinct stages identified by their expression repertoire of marker genes. Matrix Biol. Oct; 17(6):435-48.
- Piecha D, Muratoglu S, Morgelin M, Hauser N, Studer D, Kiss I, Paulsson M, Deak F. (1999) Matrilin-2, a large, oligomeric matrix protein, is expressed by a great variety of cells and forms fibrillar networks. J Biol Chem. May 7; 274(19):13353-61.
- Muratoglu S, Krysan K, Balazs M, Sheng H, Zakany R, Modis L, Kiss I, Deak F. (2000) Primary structure of human matrilin-2, chromosome location of the MATN2 gene and conservation of an AT-AC intron in matrilin genes. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 90(3-4):323-327.
- Gangloff YG, Pointud JC, Thuault S, Carre L, Romier C, Muratoglu S, Brand M, Tora L, Couderc JL, Davidson I. (2001) Mammalian TAFII140 and Drosophila BIP2 are novel metazoan TFIID components containing a histone fold and a PHD finger. Mol Cell Biol. (15):5109-21. PMCID: PMC87236
- Muratoglu S, Georgieva S, Papai G, Scheer E, Enunlu I, Komonyi O, Cserpan I, Lebedeva L, Nabirochkina E, Udvardy A, Tora L, Boros I. (2003) Two different Drosophila ADA2 homologues are present in distinct GCN5 Histone Acetyltransferase-containing complexes. Mol Cell Biol. Jan 1;23(1):306-321. PMCID: PMC140672
- Fu M, Rao M, Wang C, Sakamaki T, Wang J, Di Vizio D, Zhang X, Albanese C, Balk S, Chang C, Fan S, Rosen E, Palvimo JJ, Janne OA, Muratoglu S, Avantaggiati ML, Pestell RG. (2003) Acetylation of Androgen Receptor Enhances Coactivator Binding and Promotes Prostate Cancer Cell Growth. Mol Cell Biol. Dec 1;23(23):8563-8575. PMCID: PMC262657
- Komonyi O, Papai G, Enunlu I, Muratoglu S, Pankotai T, Kopitova D, Maroy P, Udvardy A, Boros I. (2005) DTL, the Drosophila homolog of PIMT/Tgs1 nuclear receptor coactivator interacting protein/RNA methyltransferase, has an essential role in development. J Biol Chem. 280: 12397-404.
- Papai G, Komonyi O, Toth Zsolt, Pankotai T, Muratoglu S, Udvardy A, Boros I. (2005) Intimate relationship between the genes of two transcriptional co-activators, ADA2a and PIMT of Drosophila. Gene 348: 13-23
- Pankotai T, Komonyi O, Bodai L, Ujfaludi Z, Muratoglu S, Ciurciu A, Tora L, Szabad J, Boros I. (2005) The homologous Drosophila transcriptional adaptors ADA2a and ADA2b are both requires for normal development but have different functions. Mol Cell Biol. 25:82 15-27. PMCID: PMC1234310
- Knights CD, Catania J, Di Giovanni S, Muratoglu S, Perez R, Swartzbeck A, Quong AA, Zhang X, Beerman T, Pestell RG, Avantaggiati ML. (2006) Distinct p53 acetylation cassettes differentially influence gene-expression patterns and cell fate. J Cell Biol. 173: 533-44. PMCID: PMC2063863
- Muratoglu S, Garratt B, Hyman B, Gajewski K, Schulz RA, Fossett NG. (2006) Regulation of Drosophila friend of GATA gene, u-shaped, during hematopoiesis: a direct role for serpent and lozenge. Dev. Biol. 296:561-79.
- Muratoglu S, Hough B, Mon ST, Fossett N. (2007) The GATA factor Serpent cross-regulates lozenge and u-shaped expression during Drosophila hematopoiesis Dev Biol. 311(2):636-49. PMCID: PMC2132443
- Frandsen JL, Gunn B, Muratoglu S, Fossett N, Newfeld, S. (2008) Salmonella pathogenesis reveals that BMP signaling regulates blood cell homeostasis and immune responses in Drosophila. SJ.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. Sep 30;105(39):14952-7. PMCID: PMC2553038
- Muratoglu, S, Mikhailenko, I, Newton, C, Migliorini, M, and Strickland D. (2010) Low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 1 (LRP1) forms a signaling complex with platelet-derived growth factor receptor-beta in endosomes and regulates activation of the MAPK pathway J. Biol Chem. 285:14308-17 PMCID: PMC2863204
- Strickland D, Muratoglu S, Antalis T. (2011) Serpin-Enzyme Receptors LDL Receptor-Related Protein 1. Methods Enzymol. 499:17-31. PMCID: PMC3189627
- Muratoglu, S, Belrave, S, Lillis, A, Migliorini, M, Robinson, S, Smith, E, Zhang, L, and Strickland, D. (2011). Macrophage LRP1 suppresses neo-intima formation during vascular remodeling by modulating the TGF-beta signaling pathway PLoS. One. 6(12):e28846 PMCID: PMC3235159
- Muratoglu, S, Belgrave, S, Hampton, B, Migliorini, M, Coksaygan, T, Chen, L, Mikhailenko, I, Strickland, D. (2013) LRP1 protects the vasculature by regulating levels of Connective Tissue Growth Factor and HtrA1. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol., 2013;33(9):2137–46. PMCID: PMC3892666
- Strickland D, Au D, Cunfer P, Muratoglu S. (2014) Low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein-1: role in the regulation of vascular integrity. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. Mar;34(3):487-98. PMCID: PMC4304649
- Davis FM, Rateri DL, Balakrishnan A, Howatt DA, Strickland DK, Muratoglu SC, Haggerty CM, Fornwalt BK, Cassis LA, Daugherty A. (2015) Smooth Muscle Cell Deletion of Low-Density Lipoprotein Receptor-Related Protein 1 Augments Angiotensin II-Induced Superior Mesenteric Arterial and Ascending Aortic Aneurysms. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 35(1):155-62. doi: 10.1161/ATVBAHA.114.304683. Epub 2014 Nov 13. PMCID: PMC4332619
- Lillis AP, Muratoglu SC, Au DT, Migliorini M, Lee MJ, Fried SK, Mikhailenko I, Strickland DK. LDL Receptor-Related Protein-1 (LRP1) Regulates Cholesterol Accumulation in Macrophages. PLoS One. 2015 Jun 10;10(6):e0128903. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0128903. eCollection 2015. PMCID: PMC4463855