- 1987 Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery (MBBS)
Dhaka Medical College, Bangladesh
- 1996 Ph.D.
Kagoshima University School of Medicine, Japan
Dr. Wahid studies T and B cell mediated host-immune responses and induction immune memory by immunization with licensed or candidate vaccines in humans. He primarily utilizes the clinical samples obtained from volunteers participating in various vaccine trials. His ultimate goal is to enhance the endeavors of developing efficient vaccines, especially against enteric pathogens by understanding the immune correlate of protection against those diseases in humans.
Selected Publications (2005-2013):
- Wahid R*, Simon JK*, Picking WL, Kotloff KL, Levine MM, Sztein MB (*equal contributing first author). Shigella antigen-specific B memory cells are associated with decreased disease severity in subjects challenged with wild-type Shigella flexneri 2a. Clin Immunol. 2013:148:35-43
- Davis CL, Wahid R, Toapanta FR, Jakub K. Simon JK, Sztein MB and Levy D. Applying Mathematical Tools to Accelerate Vaccine Development: Modeling Shigella Immune Dynamics. PloS One: 2013. 8(4):e59465
- Ramirez K*, Wahid R *, Richardson C, Bargatze RF, El-Kamary SS , Sztein MB and Pasetti MF (*equal contributing first author). Intranasal vaccination with an adjuvanted Norwalk virus-like particle vaccine elicits antigen-specific B memory responses in human adult volunteers: Clin Immunol. 2012:144(2):98
- Wahid R, Simon R, Zafar SJ, Levine MM, Sztein MB Live oral typhoid vaccine Ty21a induces cross reactive humoral immune responses against S. Paratyphi A and S. Paratyphi B in humans. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2012:19(6):825
- Ruiz-Perez F, Wahid R, Faherty CS, Kolappaswamy K, Rodriguez L, Santiago A, Murphy E, Cross A, Sztein MB and Nataro JP. Serine protease autotransporters from Shigella flexneri and pathogenic Escherichia coli target a broad range of leukocyte glycoproteins: PNAS 2011:108(31):12881-6
- Simon JK, Maciel M Jr, Weld ED, Wahid R, Pasetti MF, Picking WL, Kotloff KL, Levine MM, Sztein MB. Antigen-specific IgA B memory cell responses to Shigella antigens elicited in volunteers immunized with live attenuated Shigella flexneri 2a oral vaccine candidates. Clin Immunol. 2011:139(2):185-92
- Wahid R, Pasetti MF, Maciel M Jr., Simon JK, Tacket CO, Levine MM, Sztein MB. Oral priming with Salmonella Typhi vaccine strain CVD 909 followed by parenteral boost with the S. Typhi Vi capsular polysaccharide vaccine induces CD27+ IgD- S. Typhi specific IgA and IgG B memory cells in humans. Clinical Immunology: 2011: 138(2):187-200
- Salerno-Goncalves R, Wahid R, and Sztein MB. Ex vivo Kinetics of Early and Long-Term Multifunctional HLA-E specific CD8+ Cells in Volunteers Immunized with Ty21a Typhoid Vaccine. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology: 2010: 17(9):1305-14
- Simon JK, Wahid R, Maciel M Jr., Kotloff KL, Levine MM, and Sztein MB. Antigen-specific B memory cell responses to lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and invasion plasmid antigen (Ipa) B elicited in volunteers vaccinated with live-attenuated Shigella flexneri 2a vaccine candidates. Vaccine: 2009:27:565–572
- Wahid R, Salerno-Gonçalves R, Tacket CO, Levine MM and Sztein MB. Generation of specific effector and memory T cells with gut and secondary lymphoid tissues homing potential by oral attenuated CVD 909 typhoid vaccine in humans: Mucosal Immunology (Nature publishing group): 2008:5:389-398
- Wahid R, Salerno-Gonalves R, Tacket CO, Levine MM and Sztein MB. Cell-mediated immune responses in humans after primary and booster immunizations with oral live attenuated typhoid vaccine CVD 909. Vaccine: 2007:25: 1416-1425
- Salerno-Goncalves R, Wahid R and Sztein MB.. Immunization of Volunteers with Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhi Strain Ty21a Elicits the Oligoclonal Expansion of CD8 T Cells with Predominant V-beta Repertoires. Infect Immun. 2005:73(6):3521-30
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.