Dr. Chen is an adult infectious disease physician-scientist with a specific interest in clinical vaccinology. He is Chief of the Adult Clinical Studies section within the Center for Vaccine Development and Director of the UMB Travelers’ Health Clinic. His primary research interests are two-fold: developing vaccines for the elderly (a rapidly growing segment of the global population which is susceptible to infection) and developing vaccines for enteric pathogens (diseases chiefly of resource poor and economically disadvantaged countries).
Dr. Chen is active investigator within the NIAID-supported Vaccine and Treatment Evaluation Unit (VTEU), composed of 9 academic centers throughout the U.S., and was the principal investigator of the NIAID-supported Food and Waterborne Diseases Integrated Research Network Clinical Research Unit. He has been a PI on vaccine trials for: influenza (Seasonal, Pandemic 2009 H1N1, and Avian H5N1 influenza), agents of bioterror (Tularemia and Staphylococcal enterotoxin B), and enteric pathogens (typhoid, cholera and enterotoxigenic E. coli)—including human experimental challenge studies with wild-type V. cholerae and enterotoxigenic E. coli.
Dr. Chen has a translational laboratory research program that uses murine models of infection—primarily focused on models of pneumonia which are used to study the innate immune response and candidate therapeutics.
- Cross AS, Chen WH, and Levine MM. A case for immunization against nosocomial infections. J Leuk Biol 2008; 83:483-8.
- Chen WH, Kang TJ, Bhattacharjee AK, and Cross AS. Intranasal administration of a detoxified endotoxin vaccine protects mice against heterologous Gram-negative bacterial pneumonia. Innate Immunity 2008; 14:269-78.
- Chen WH, Kozlovsky BF, Effros RB, Grubeck-Loebenstein B, Edelman R, and Sztein MB.Vaccination in the Elderly: an Immunological Perspective. Trends in Immunology 2009; 30: 351-359.
- Brady RC, Treanor JJ, Atmar RL, Keitel W, Edelman R, Chen WH, Winokur P, Belshe R, Noah DL, He F, and Hill H. Safety and immunogenicity of an inactivated subvirion influenza AH5N1 Vaccine with and without aluminum hydroxide among healthy elderly subjects. Vaccine 2009; 27: 5027-5170.
- Chen WH, Basu S, Bhattacharjee AK, and Cross AS. Enhanced antibody responses to a detoxified lipopolysaccharide-group B meningococcal outer membrane protein vaccine are due to synergistic engagement of TLR. Innate Immunity 2009; 16:322-32.
- Cate TR, Rayford Y, Niño D, Winokur P, Brady R, Belshe R, Chen WH, Atmar RL, Couch RB. A High Dosage Influenza Vaccine Induced Significantly More Neuraminidase Antibody than Standard Vaccine among Elderly Subjects. Vaccine 2010; 28: 2076-2079.
- Chua JV and Chen WH. Herpes Zoster Vaccine for the Elderly: Boosting Immunity. Aging Health 2010; 6: 169-176.
- Gregory SH, Chen WH, Mott S, Palardy JE, Parejo NA, Heninger S, Anderson CA, Artenstein AW, Opal SM, and Cross AS. Detoxified Endotoxin Vaccine (J5dLPS/OMP) Protects Mice Against Lethal Respiratory Challenge with Francisella tularensis SchuS4. Vaccine 2010; 28: 2908-15.
- Chua JV and Chen WH. Vaccine protection strategies during pandemic flu outbreaks. Critical Care 2010; 14:218.
- El-Kamary SS, Pasetti MF, Mendelman PM, Frey SE, Bernstein DI, Treanor JJ, Ferreira JF, Chen WH, Sublett R, Richardson C, Bargatze R, Sztein MB, and Tacket CO. Adjuvanted intranasal Norwalk virus-like particle vaccine elicits antibodies and antibody-secreting cells that express homing receptors for mucosal and peripheral lymphoid tissues. J Inf Dis 2010; 202:1649-58.
- Chen WH, Cross AS, Edelman R, Sztein MB, and Pasetti MF. Antibodies and Th1-type cell-mediated immunity in elderly and young adults immunized with the standard or a high-dose influenza vaccine. Vaccine 2011; 29:2865-73.
- Atmar RL, Bernstein DI, Harro CD, Al-Ibrahim MS, Chen WH, Ferreira J, Estes MK, Graham DY, Opekun AR, Richardson C, and Mendelman PM. Norovirus Vaccine against Experimental Human Norwalk Virus Illness. N Eng J Med 2011; 365:2178-87.
- Chen WH and El-Kamary SS. Vaccines for Enteric Infections. Curr Op Gastro 2012; 28:18-23.
- Chen WH, Toapanta F, Shirey KA, Zhang L, Giannelou A, Page C, Frieman M, Vogel S, and Cross AS. Potential Role for Alternatively Activated Macrophages in the Secondary Bacterial infection During Recovery from Influenza. Immunology Letters 2012; 141:227-34.
- Jackson LA, Chen WH, Stapleton JT, Dekker CL, Wald A, Brady RC, Edupuganti S, Winokur P, Mulligan MJ, Keyserling HL, Kotloff K, Rouphael N, Noah DL, Hill H, and Wolff M. Immunogenicity and Safety of Varying Dosages of a Monovalent 2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine Given with and without AS03 Adjuvant in Healthy Adults and Senior. J Inf Dis 2012; 206:811-20.
- Adhikari RP, Ajao AO, Aman MJ, Karauzum H, Sarwar J, Lydecker AD, Johnson JK, Nguyen C, Chen WH, Roghmann M-C. Lower Antibody Levels to Staphylococcus aureus Exotoxins are associated with Sepsis in Hospitalized Adults with Invasive Staphylococcus aureus Infections. J Inf Dis 2012; 206:915-23.
- Chen WH, Winokur P, Edwards KM, Jackson JA, Wald A, Walter EB, Noah DL, Wolff M, and Kotloff KL. Phase 2 Assessment of the Safety and Immunogenicity of Two Inactivated Pandemic Monovalent H1N1 Vaccines in Adults as a Component of the U.S. Pandemic Preparedness Plan in 2009. Vaccine 2012; 30:4240-8.
- Ajao AO, Harris AD, Johnson JK, Roghmann M, Perencevich EN, Schweizer ML, Zhan M, Chen WH, Furuno JP. Association between Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus Colonization and Infection May not Differ by Age Group. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2013; 34:93-5.
- Shirey KA, Lai W, Scott A, Lipsky M, Mistry P, Pletneva LM, Karp CL, McAlees J, Gioannini JL, Weiss J, Chen WH, Ernst R, Rossignol DP, Gusovsky F, Blanco JC, Vogel SN. The TLR4 Antagonist, Eritoran, Protects Mice from Lethal Influenza Infection. Nature 2013; 497:498-502.
- El-Kamary SS, Cohen MB, Bourgeois AL, Van De Verg L, Bauers N, Reymann M, Pasetti MF, and Chen WH. Safety and Immunogenicity of a Single Oral Dose of Recombinant Double-Mutant Heat-Labile Toxin (dmLT) Derived from Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC). Clin Vac Immunol 2013; 20:1764-70.
- Chen WH, Greenberg RN, Pasetti MF, Livio S, Lock M, Gurwith M, and Levine MM. Safety and immunogenicity of single-dose live oral cholera vaccine strain CVD 103-HgR prepared from new master and working cell banks. Clin Vac Immunol 2014; 21:66-73.
- Stamatos NM, Zhang L, Jokilammi A, Finne J, Chen WH, El-Maarouf A, Cross A, and Hankey KG. Changes in Polysialic Acid Expression on Myeloid Cells during Differentiation and Recruitment to Sites of Inflammation: Role in Phagocytosis. Glycobiology 2014 (in press)
- Treanor JJ, Atmar RL, Frey SE, Gormley R, Chen WH, Ferreira J, Goodwin R, Borkowski A, Clemens R, Mendelman PM. A Novel Intramuscular Bivalent Norovirus VLP Vaccine Candidate – Reactogenicity, Safety and Immunogenicity in a phase I trial in healthy adults. J Inf Dis 2014 (in press)
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.