- B.S. (Summa Cum Laude): Xavier University, College of Arts and Sciences, Cincinnati, OH, 1995
- M.S. (Medical Physics): University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, 1998
- Ph.D.: University of Wisconsin, Department of Medical Physics, Madison, WI, 2000
- 06/1995 – 06/2000: Research Assistant, Department of Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- 07/2000 – 02/2002: Instructor, Department of Radiation Physics, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
- 03/2002 – 12/2007: Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- 02/2008 – 05/2008: Associate Professor and Director of Medical Physics, Department of Radiation Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR
- 05/2008 - present: Associate Professor and Chief of Medical Physics, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- Led commissioning and introduction of Pinnacle3 planning system for routine 3D conformal and IMRT radiation treatment planning
- Performed ultrasound-guided I-125 and Cs-131 prostate seed implants, Sir-spheres liver infusion and high dose-rate (HDR) brachytherapy for gynecology and breast cancer
- Performed linear accelerator quality assurance (QA)
- Led technical development of stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) program at
- University of Maryland Medical Center
- Led implementation of 4D CT imaging and tumor motion management using “gated” radiation therapy
- Led implementation of 4D treatment planning in radiation delivery for lung and liver tumors
- Led implementation of breath-hold techniques for breast cancer to improve treatment setup reproducibility and decrease cardiac toxicity
- Developed overall scope of project for new clinical technologies for imaging, planning and delivery of radiation therapy in the Department of Radiation Onco
Current Grant Support:
- 2005 – 2010: Master Research Agreement. Varian Medical Systems, Palo Alto, CA, Role: (Principal Investigator, 3%), Total Costs: $1,250,000
- 2006 - 2008: Feedback Control and Inferential Modeling for a Radiotherapy Treatment Couch. NIH R21 CA122403, Role: (Principal Investigator, 6.5%), Total Costs: $273,194
- 2007 - 2012: Feedback Control of Respiration Induced Tumor Motion with a Treatment Couch. NIH R01 CA124766, Role: (Principal Investigator, 14%), Total Costs: $1,416,175
- 2007-2011: Four-dimensional IMAT planning using graph algorithms. NIH R01 CA 117997, Principal Investigator (Yu), Role: (Co-Investigator, 7.5%), Total Costs: $1,225,931
- 2008 – 2009: Investigation of 4D CT for Lung and Abdominal Imaging, Philips Medical Systems, Cleveland, OH, Role: (Principal Investigator, No salary support), Total Costs: $42,000
- 2009 – 2013: High-Throughput Computing for a Distributed Multi-Plan Radiotherapy Computing Framework. NIH R01 CA130814, Role: (Principal Investigator, 15%), Total Costs: $1,237,367
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
W. D. D’Souza, R. R. Meyer, B. R. Thomadsen, M. C. Ferris, “An iterative sequential mixed-integer approach to automated prostate brachytherapy treatment plan optimization,” Phys. Med. Biol. 46, 297-322, 2001.
W. D. D’Souza, E. L. Madsen, O. Unal, K. K. Vigen, G. R. Frank, and B. R. Thomadsen, “Tissue mimicking materials for a multi-imaging modality prostate phantom,” Med. Phys. 28, 688-700, 2001.
W. D. D’Souza and R. R. Meyer, “Dose homogeneity as a function of source activity in optimized I-125 prostate implant treatment plans,” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 51, 1120-1130, 2001.
R. R. Meyer, W. D. D’Souza, M. C. Ferris, B. R. Thomadsen, “MIP models and BB strategies in brachytherapy treatment optimization,” J. Global Optimization. 25, 23-42, 2003.
W. D. D’Souza, H. K. Lee, M. B. Palmer, L. G. Smith and A Pollack, “Is intraoperative nomogram-based overplanning for prostate implants necessary?,” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 56, 462-467, 2003.
H. D. Thames, W. D. D’Souza and D. A. Kuban, “Dual radiobiological interpretations of retrospective clinical data: the time factor,” Int J Radiat Biol 79, 503-509, 2003.
W. D. D’Souza and I. I Rosen, “Non-tumor integral dose variation in conventional radiotherapy treatment planning,” Med. Phys. 30, 2065-2071, 2003.
H. K. Lee, W. D. D’Souza, J. J. Yamal, A. Pollack and D. A. Kuban, “Dosimetric consequences of using a surrogate urethra to estimate urethral dose after brachytherapy for prostate cancer,” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 57, 355-361, 2003.
J. Z. Wang, X. A. Li, W. D. D’Souza and R. D. Stewart, “Impact of prolonged fraction delivery times on tumor control: A note of caution for IMRT,” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 57, 543-552, 2003.
N. Phaisangittisakul, L. Ma and W. D. D’Souza, “Magnetic collimation and metal foil filtering for electron range and fluence modulation,” Med Phys 31, 17-23, 2004.
W. D. D’Souza, H. D. Thames and D. A. Kuban “The dose-volume conundrum for response of prostate cancer to brachytherapy: summary dosimetric measures and their relationship to tumor-control probability,” Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 58, 1540-1548, 2004.
W. D. D’Souza, R. R. Meyer and L. Shi “Selection of beam orientations in intensity-modulated radiation therapy using single-beam indices and integer programming,” Phys Med Biol 49, 3465-3481, 2004.
W. D. D’Souza, A. A. Ahamad, R. B. Iyer, M. R. Salehpour, A. Jhingran and P. J. Eifel “Feasibility of dose escalation using intensity-modulated radiation therapy in post-hyterectomy cervical carcinomas,” Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 61, 1062-1070, 2005.
A. A. Ahamad, W. D. D’Souza, M. R. Salehpour, R. B. Iyer, H. D. Thames, S. L. Tucker, A. Jhingran, and P. J. Eifel, “Intensity-modulated radiation therapy after hysterectomy: comparison with conventional treatment and sensitivity of the normal-tissue-sparing effect to margin size,” Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 62 1117-1124 2005.
S. A. Naqvi and W. D. D’Souza, “A stochastic method for calculating dose distributions from respiration-induced intra-fraction motion during IMRT,” Med Phys 32, 1156-1163 2005.
W. D. D’Souza, S. A. Naqvi, and C. X. Yu, “Real-time intra-fraction motion tracking using the treatment couch: a feasibility study,” Phys Med Biol 50, 4021-4033, 2005.
S. A. Naqvi, W. D. D’Souza, M. A. Earl, S. J. Ye, R. Shih and X. A. Li, “Using a photon phase-space source for convolution/superposition dose calculations in radiation therapy,” Phys Med Biol, 50, 4111-4124 (2005).
W. D. D’Souza, N. Zacharapoulos, M. Pepelea, P. Klahr and C. X. Yu. Gated CT imaging using a free-breathing signal from flow-volume spirometry,” Med Phys 2005 32, 3641-3649 (2005).
A. Gunawardena, W. D. D’Souza, L. Goadrich, R. R. Meyer, K. Sorensen, S. A. Naqvi, L. Shi, “A difference matrix metaheuristic for intensity-map segmentation in step-and-shoot IMRT delivery,” Phys Med Biol 51, 2517-2536 (2006).
W. D. D’Souza and T. J. McAvoy, “An analysis of the dynamics and control system for an intra-fraction motion synchronized treatment couch,” Med Phys 33, 4701-4709 (2006).
J. Wu, O Dandekar, D. Nazareth, P Lei, W. D’Souza and R. Shekhar. “Effect of ultrasound probe on dose delivery during real-time ultrasound-guided tumor tracking,” Proc. IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:3799-3802 (2006).
W. D. D’Souza, D. P. Nazareth, C. Deyoung, Y. Kwok, M. Suntharalingam, W. F. Regine and C. X. Yu, “The use of gated and 4D CT imaging in treatment planning for stereotactic body radiotherapy,” Med Dosimetry 32, 92-101 (2007).
R. R. Meyer, H. H. Zhang, L. Goadrich, D. P. Nazareth, L. Shi and W. D. D’Souza, “A multi-plan treatment planning framework: A paradigm shift for IMRT,” Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 68, 1178-1189 (2007).
R. Shekhar, P. Lei, C. Castro-Pareja and W. D. D’Souza, “Automatic segmentation of phase-correlated lung CT scans through nonrigid image registration using geometrically regularized free-form deformation.” Med Phys 34, 3054-3066 (2007).
P. Qiu, W. D. D’Souza, T. J. Mc Avoy, and K. J. R. Liu, “Inferential modeling and predictive feedback control in real-time motion compensation using the treatment couch during radiotherapy,” Phys Med Biol, 52, 5831-5854 (2007).
J. Wu, H. Li, R. Shekhar, M. Suntharalingam and W. D. D’Souza, “An evaluation of planning techniques for stereotactic body radiation therapy in lung tumors”, Radiother Oncol 87, 35-43 (2008).
W. D. D’Souza, H. H. Zhang, D. P. Nazareth, L. Shi and R. R. Meyer, “A nested partitions framework for beam angle selection in intensity-modulated radiation therapy,” Phys Med Biol 53, 3293-3307 (2008).
H. H. Zhang, L. Shi, R. R. Meyer, D. P. Nazareth and W. D. D'Souza, “Solving beam-angle selection and dose optimization simultaneously via high-throughput
computing,” INFORMS: J Comput (in press) 2009.
H. H. Zhang, W. D. D’Souza, R. R. Meyer, and L. Shi, “Modeling plan-related clinical complications using machine learning tools in a multi-plan IMRT framework,” Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 74, 1617-1626 (2009).
J. Wu, P. Lei, R. Shekhar, H. Li, M. Suntharalingam and W. D. D’Souza, “Do tumors in the lung deform during normal respiration? – an image registration investigation,” Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys (in press) 2009.
W. D. D’Souza, K. Malinowski, S. Van Liew, G. D’Souza, K. Markham, T. J. McAvoy, M. Suntharalingam and W. F. Regine, “Investigation of motion sickness and inertial stability on a moving couch for intra-fraction motion compensation,” Acta Oncologica (in press) 2009.
D. H. Lim, B. Yi, A. Mirmiran, A. Dhople, M. Suntharalingam and W. D. D’Souza, “Optimal beam arrangement for stereotactic body radiation therapy delivery in lung tumors,” Acta Oncologica (accepted) 2009.
R. George, K. Malinowski, S. Dieterich and W. D. D’Souza, “On the need for multiple external markers to predict tumor displacement due to respiration,” Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys (under review) 2009.
K. Malinowski, J. Pantorotto, S. Senan, T. J. McAvoy and W. D. D’Souza, “Inferring nodal volume and primary tumor positions from multiple anatomical surrogates using 4D CT in stage III lung cancer,” Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys (under review) 2009.
H. H. Zhang, J. Wu, S. A. Naqvi, R. R. Meyer, L. Shi and W. D. D’Souza, “A two-stage sequential linear programming approach to IMRT optimization,” Phys Med Biol (under review) 2009.
G. D’Souza, H. H. Zhang, M. L. Gillison, R. R. Meyer and W. D. D’Souza, “Poor predictive value of demographic and behavioral characteristics for diagnosis of HPV status in head and neck cancer,” J Clin Oncol (under review) 2009.
H. H. Zhang, R. R. Meyer, L. Shi and W. D. D’Souza, “Minimum knowledge base for predicting organ-at-risk dose-volume levels and plan-related complications in IMRT planning,” Phys Med Biol (under review) 2009.
M. C. Ferris, R. R. Meyer and W. D. D’Souza, “Radiation treatment planning: mixed integer formulations and approaches,” in Handbook of Mathematical Modeling ed. G. Appa, L. Pitsoulis and H. P. Williams (Springer, NY) pp 308-314, 2006.
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.