Dr. Haririan is an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Nephrology. He received his medical degree from the Tehran University of Medical Sciences in Tehran, Iran and his master of public health degree from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. He completed his internship and residency programs in medicine at Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University, and completed his Nephrology training at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, in Baltimore, Maryland. He then completed his Transplant Nephrology fellowship at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore. He then moved to the Harper University Hospital in Detroit as the medical director of the kidney and pancreas transplant program. He returned to the University of Maryland Medical Center in 2005.
He is currently the Director of Nephrology Fellowship Program and the Director of Clinical Research in Transplantation in the Division of Nephrology. He is serving on the editorial board of Clinical Nephrology and Transplantation journals and reviews manuscripts for close to 20 major journals, including the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, the American Journal of Kidney Disease, the American Journal of Transplantation, and Transplantation. He is a member of numerous professional associations, including the American Society of Nephrology, the International Society of Nephrology, the American transplant Society and the Transplantation Society. His clinical interests include kidney and pancreas transplantation.
Dr. Haririan’s clinical research interest is focused on antibody-mediated graft injury in kidney transplantation, non-traditional risk factors for poor transplant outcomes and optimization of immunosuppression to improve long-term outcomes. He has been the principal investigator for several investigator-initiated funded cohort studies and clinical trials. He has mentored a large number of residents, fellows, and junior faculty with interest in renal and transplant medicine. Currently, Dr. Haririan is conducting a single-center clinical trial studying the impact of conversion from Tacrolimus to Sirolimus in kidney transplant recipients with delayed graft function. He has multiple ongoing studies examining the histological, serological, and clinical markers of antibody-mediated rejection and clinical management of patients with this complication.
Kidney and pancreas transplantation, General nephrology
- Papadimitriou JC, Drachenberg CB, Ramos E, Kukuruga D, Klassen DK, Ugarte R, Nogueira J, Cangro C, Weir MR, Haririan A. Antibody-mediated allograft rejection: morphologic spectrum and serologic correlations in surveillance and for cause biopsies. Transplantation. 2013 Jan 15;95(1):128-36.
- Mohanlal V, Haririan A, Weinman EJ. Bradycardia without "classical" EKG changes in hyperkalemic hemodialysis patients. Clin Nephrol. 2012 Jul 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jones H, Talwar M, Nogueira JM, Ugarte R, Cangro C, Rasheed H, Klassen DK, Weir MR, Haririan A. Anemia after kidney transplantation; its prevalence, risk factors, and independent association with graft and patient survival: a time-varying analysis. Transplantation. 2012 May 15;93(9):923-8.
- Fayek SA, Keenan J, Haririan A, Cooper M, Barth RN, Schweitzer E, Bromberg JS, Bartlett ST, Philosophe B. Ureteral stents are associated with reduced risk of ureteral complications after kidney transplantation: a large single center experience. Transplantation. 2012 Feb 15;93(3):304-8.
- Drachenberg CB, Torrealba JR, Nankivell BJ, Rangel EB, Bajema IM, Kim DU, Arend L, Bracamonte ER, Bromberg JS, Bruijn JA, Cantarovich D, Chapman JR, Farris AB, Gaber L, Goldberg JC, Haririan A, Honsová E, Iskandar SS, Klassen DK, Kraus E, Lower F, Odorico J, Olson JL, Mittalhenkle A, Munivenkatappa R, Paraskevas S, Papadimitriou JC, Randhawa P, Reinholt FP, Renaudin K, Revelo P, Ruiz P, Samaniego MD, Shapiro R, Stratta RJ, Sutherland DE, Troxell ML, Voska L, Seshan SV, Racusen LC, Bartlett ST. Guidelines for the diagnosis of antibody-mediated rejection in pancreas allografts-updated Banff grading schema. Am J Transplant. 2011 Sep;11(9):1792-802
- Haririan A, Metireddy M, Cangro C, Nogueira JM, Rasetto F, Cooper M, Klassen DK, Weir MR. Association of serum uric acid with graft survival after kidney transplantation: a time-varying analysis. Am J Transplant. 2011 Sep;11(9):1943-50.
- Haririan A, Papadimitriou JC. The need for better understanding of transplant glomerulitis. Am J Transplant. 2011 Apr;11(4):866.
- Papadimitriou JC, Drachenberg CB, Munivenkatappa R, Ramos E, Nogueira J, Sailey C, Klassen DK,Haririan A. Glomerular inflammation in renal allografts biopsies after the first year: cell types and relationship with antibody-mediated rejection and graft outcome. Transplantation. 2010 Dec 27;90(12):1478-85.
- Kiangkitiwan B, Haririan A. Invited commentary on low high-density lipoprotein is a risk for vascular disease. Transpl Int. 2010 Jun;23(6):571-3.
- Manitpisitkul W, Wilson NS, Haririan A. Immunosuppressive agents as risk factors for BK virus nephropathy: an overview and update. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2010 Nov;9(6):959-69.
- Nogueira JM, Haririan A, Jacobs SC, Cooper M, Weir MR. Cigarette smoking, kidney function, and mortality after live donor kidney transplant. Am J Kidney Dis. 2010 May;55(5):907-15.
- Manitpisitkul W, Wilson NS, Philosophe B, Cooper M, Drachenberg C, Kukuruga D, Nogueira J,Haririan A. Rescue therapy for acute antibody mediated rejection with a proteosome inhibitor after kidney transplantation. Clin Transpl. 2010:421-8.
- Nogueira JM, Weir MR, Jacobs S, Haririan A, Breault D, Klassen D, Evans D, Bartlett ST, Cooper M. A study of renal outcomes in African American living kidney donors. Transplantation. 2009 Dec 27;88(12):1371-6.
- Munivenkatappa R, Haririan A, Papadimitriou JC, Drachenberg CB, Dinits-Pensy M, Klassen DK. Tubular epithelial cell and podocyte apoptosis with de novo sirolimus based immunosuppression in renal allograft recipients with DGF. Histol Histopathol. 2010 Feb;25(2):189-96.
- Haririan A, Nogueira JM, Zandi-Nejad K, Aiyer R, Hurley H, Cooper M, Klassen DK, Weir MR. The independent association between serum uric acid and graft outcomes after kidney transplantation. Transplantation. 2010 Mar 15;89(5):573-9.
- Haririan A, Kiangkitiwan B, Kukuruga D, Cooper M, Hurley H, Drachenberg C, Klassen D. The impact of c4d pattern and donor-specific antibody on graft survival in recipients requiring indication renal allograft biopsy. Am J Transplant. 2009 Dec;9(12):2758-67.
- Badowski M, Gurk-Turner C, Cangro C, Weir M, Philosophe B, Klassen D, Haririan A. The impact of reduced immunosuppression on graft outcomes in elderly renal transplant recipients. Clin Transplant. 2009 Nov-Dec;23(6):930-7.
- Manitpisitkul W, Drachenberg C, Ramos E, Munivenkatappa R, Philosophe B, Klassen D, Haririan A. Maintenance immunosuppressive agents as risk factors for BK virus nephropathy: a case-control study. Transplantation. 2009 Jul 15;88(1):83-8.
- Haririan A, Nogueira J, Kukuruga D, Schweitzer E, Hess J, Gurk-Turner C, Jacobs S, Drachenberg C, Bartlett S, Cooper M. Positive cross-match living donor kidney transplantation: longer-term outcomes. Am J Transplant. 2009 Mar;9(3):536-42.
- Scalea JR, Butler CC, Munivenkatappa RB, Nogueira JM, Campos L, Haririan A, Barth RN, Philosophe B, Bartlett ST, Cooper M. Pancreas transplant alone as an independent risk factor for the development of renal failure: a retrospective study. Transplantation. 2008 Dec 27;86(12):1789-94.