Dr. Jeffrey C. Fink MD MS is a Professor of Medicine and Chief of the Division of General Internal Medicine, with a secondary appointment in the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health. He went to medical school at Case Western Reserve University and obtained his internal medicine training at University of Washington, Seattle. He began his career as an academic general interest. After 3 years he pursued fellowship training in Nephrology and as a clinical investigator. Over 17 years he built his clinical and academic career in the Division of Nephrology at the University of Maryland. In 2014 he took on the role of Division Chief in General Internal Medicine with the intention of leading the division in the era of population health and improved patient safety. Dr. Fink's research background is as both a clinical investigator and a clinical epidemiologist with interest in all aspects of chronic kidney disease. As a faculty member at University of Maryland School of Medicine, Dr. Fink has grown a substantial program to support his research, clinical, and mentoring efforts. He has mentored several students, fellows and junior faculty with interests in different aspects of chronic kidney disease. He has served on the editorial board of the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, and the American Journal of Kidney Disease, and currently serves as Associate Editor of the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. He is active on the American Society of Nephrology Chronic Kidney Disease advisory board and has completed a term as Chairman of the Maryland Kidney Commission. He has previously sat on the Medical Review Board of the ESRD Network 5. He has also served on several ad hoc NIH study sections and is an active member of the University of Maryland IRB and GCRC Advisory Board.
Dr. Fink founded and coordinates the Early Renal Insufficiency (ERI) program which consists of 2 clinics (one each at the Baltimore VA and University of Maryland Medical System) that are staffed by himself, 3 additional doctors and a nurse practitioner. The ERI program is an enriched disease management program which has offered patients several opportunities for participation in clinical research. The primary ongoing clinical studies of Dr Fink are the NIDDK-funded Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) study (U01 DK61022) and the Safe Kidney Care study (R01 DK084017). Dr. Fink is a CRIC site investigator, an active participant on the CRIC Steering committee, and is involved in all study-wide proceedings. He currently serves as the co-chair of the Publications Executive and Primary and Ancillary Measures committees. Dr. Fink is the principal investigator of Safe Kidney Care program which began enrollment in Spring 2011 and will examine the extent to which under-recognition of chronic kidney disease leads to adverse safety events.
Dr. Fink also has a strong interest and a substantial track record in the clinical epidemiology and study of health services utilization in kidney disease. He has conducted several epidemiological analyses of existing databases including the USRDS and national VA data. He recently completed analyses of the national VA data set examining trends in chronic kidney disease practice patterns and determining the link between chronic kidney disease and patient safety indicators (R21 DK075675). He is currently principal investigator on the CRIC-Safety ancillary study (R01 DK090008), which retrospectively examines the frequency of safety events in the CRIC cohort.
- Seliger SL, Katzel LI, Fink JC, Weir MR, Waldstein SR. Renal function and cardiovascular response to mental stress. Am J Nephrol. 2008; 28:304-10.
- Seliger SL, Zhan M, Hsu VD, Walker L, Fink JC. Chronic Kidney Disease Adversely Influences Patient Safety. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008 Dec;19(12):2414-9.
- Xie D, Joffe MM, Brunelli SM, Beck G, Chertow GM, Fink JC, Greene T, Hsu CY, Kusek JW, Landis R, Lash J, Levey AS, O'Conner A, Ojo A, Rahman M, Townsend RR, Wang H, Feldman HI. A Comparison of Change in Measured and Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate in Patients with Nondiabetic Kidney Disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol; 2008 Sep; 3(5):1332-8.
- Einhorn LM, Zhan M, Hsu VD, Walker L, Moen MF, Seliger SL, Weir MR, Fink JC. The frequency of hyperkalemia and its significance in chronic kidney disease. Arch Intern Med 2009; 169(12):1156-1162.
- Fink JC, Brown J, Hsu VD, Seliger SL, Walker L, Zhan M. CKD as an under-recognized threat to patient safety. Am J Kidney Disease; 2009 53(4): 681-8.
- Lash JP, Go AS, Appel LJ, He J, Ojo A, Rahman M, Townsend RR, Xie D, Cifelli D, Cohan J, Fink JC, Fischer MJ, Gadegbeku C, Hamm LL, Kusek JW, Landis JR, Narva A, Robinson N, Teal V, and Feldman HI on behalf of the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort Study Group. The Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) Study: Baseline characteristics and associations with kidney function. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2009; 4: 1302-11
- Moen MF, Zhan M, Hsu VD, Walker L, Einhorn LM, Seliger SL, Fink JC. The frequency and significance of hypoglycemia in chronic kidney disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4: 1121-1127, 2009.
- Semba RD, Ferrucci L, Fink JC, Sun K, Beck J, Dalal M, Guralnik JM, Fried LP. Advanced Glycation End Products and Their Circulating Receptors and Level of Kidney Function in Older Community-Dwelling Women. Am J Kidney Dis 2009 53: 51-8.
- Semba RD, Fink JC, Sun K, Bandinelli S, Guralnik JM, Ferrucci L. Carboxymethyl-lysine, an advanced glycation end product, and decline of renal function in older community-dwelling adults. Eur J Nutr; 2009 Feb;48(1):38-44.
- Chapin E, Zhan M, Hsu VD, Seliger SL, Walker LD, Fink JC. Adverse safety events in chronic kidney disease: the frequency of “multiple hits”. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol; 2010 5: 87-94.
- Fink JC, Lodge MA, Smith MF, Hinduja A, Brown J, Dinits-Pensy MY, Dilsizian V. Pre-Clinical Myocardial Metabolic Alterations in Chronic Kidney Disease. Cardiology; 2010 116: 160-167.
- Grunwald, JE, Alexander J, Maguire M, Whittock R, Parker C, McWilliams K, Lo JC, Townsend R, Gadegbeku CA., Lash JP, Fink JC, Rahman M., Feldman H, Kusek J, Ojo,A,. The CRIC Study Group. Prevalence of Ocular Fundus Pathology in Subjects with Chronic Kidney Disease: The Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) Study. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol; 2010 5: 867-73.
- Lawler EV, Gagnon DR, Fink J, Seliger S, Fonda J, Do TP, Gaziano JM, Bradbury BD. Initiation of anaemia management in patients with chronic kidney disease not on dialysis in the Veterans Health Administration. Nephrol Dial Transplant; 2010 25: 2237-2244.
- Seliger SL, Fox KM, Gandra SR, Bradbury B, Hsu VD, Walker LM, Chiou CF, Fink JC. Timing of Erythropoiesis-stimulating agent (ESA) initiation and adverse outcomes in non-dialysis CKD: a propensity-matched observational study Clin J Am Soc Nephrol; 2010 5: 882-8.
- Semba RD, Fink JC, Sun K, Windham BG, Ferrucci L. Serum Carboxymethyl-Lysine, a Dominant Advanced Glycation End Product, Is Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease: The Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. J Ren Nutr; 2010 20: 74-81.
- Seliger SL, Zhang A, Weir MR, Walker L, Hsu VD, Parsa A, Diamantidis C, Fink JC. Erythropoiesis-stimulating agents and stroke in chronic kidney disease: a national case-control study. Kidney Int 2011 80(3):288-94.
- Dalal M, Semba RD, Sun K, Crasto C, Varadhan R, Bandinelli S, Fink JC, Guralnik JM, Ferrucci L. Endogenous Secretory Receptor for Advanced Glycation End Products and Chronic Kidney Disease in the Elderly Population. Am J Nephrol 2011 33:313-318.
- Kop WJ, Seliger SL, Fink JC, Katz R, Odden MC, Fried LF, Rifkin DE, Sarnak MJ, Gottdiener JS. Longitudinal Association of Depressive Symptoms with Rapid Kidney Function Decline and Adverse Clinical Renal Disease Outcomes. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2011; 6:834-44.
- Townsend RR, Anderson AH, Chen J, Gadebegku CA, Feldman HI, Fink JC, et al. for the CRIC Study Investigators Metabolic Syndrome, Components, and Cardiovascular Disease Prevalence in Chronic Kidney Disease: Findings from the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) Study. Am J Nephrol 2011;33:477-48
- Weir MR, Townsend RR, Fink JC, Teal V, Anderson C, Appel L, Chen J, He J, Litbarg N, Ojo A, Rahman M, Rosen L, Sozio SM, Steigerwalt S, Strauss L, Joffe MM. Hemodynamic Correlates of Proteinuria in Chronic Kidney Disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol, 2011; 2403-10
- Semba RD, Fink JC, Sun K, Cappola AR, Dalal M, Crasto C, Ferrucci L, Fried LP. Serum fibroblast growth factor-23 and risk of incident chronic kidney disease in older community-dwelling women. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012;7:85-91
- Parsa A, Brown E, Weir MR, Fink JC, Shuldiner AR, Mitchell BD, McArdle PF. Genotype-based changes in uric acid affect blood pressure. Kidney Int. 2012 81:502-7
- Fink JC, Joy MS, St Peter WL, Wahba IM, Finding a common language for patient safety in chronic kidney disease Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2012, 7:689-695.
- Diamantidis CJ, Seliger SL, Zhan M, Walker LD, Rattinger GB, Hsu VD, Fink JC. A varying patient safety profile between blacks and non-blacks with decreased estimated GFR. Am J Kidney Dis, 2012 60:47-53, PMID: 22483674
- Ellingson KD, Palekar RS, Lucero CA, Kurkjian KM, Chai SJ, Schlossberg DS, Vincenti DM, Fink JC, Davies-Cole JO, Magri JM, Arduino MJ, Patel PR. Vascular access hemorrhages contribute to deaths among hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int, 2012, ePub.
- Patel K, Diamantidis C, Zhan M, Hsu VD, Walker LD, Gardner J, Weir MR, Fink JC. Influence of Creatinine versus Glomerular Filtration Rate on Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug Prescriptions in Chronic Kidney Disease. Am J Nephrol, 2012, 36(1):19-26
- Diamantidis CJ, Zuckerman M, Fink W, Hu P, Yang S, Fink JC. Usability of a chronic kidney disease educational Web site targeted to patients and their family members. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol, 2012, 7(10):1553-60
- Grunwald JE, Alexander J, Ying GS, Maguire M, Daniel E, Whittock-Martin R, Parker C, McWilliams K, Lo JC, Go A, Townsend R, Gadegbeku CA, Lash JP, Fink JC, Rahman M, Feldman H, Kusek JW, Xie D, Jaar BG; for the CRIC Study Group. Retinopathy and Chronic Kidney Disease in the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) Study. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012 Sep 1;130(9):1136-1144
- Williams AW, Dwyer A, Eddy AA, Fink JC, Jaber BL, Linas S et al, Critical and Honest Conversations: The Evidence Behind the "Choosing Wisely" Campaign Recommendations by the American Society of Nephrology. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol, 2012, 82(6):686-92
- Weir MR, Townsend RR, Fink JC, Teal V, Sozio SM, Anderson CA, Appel LJ, Turban S, Chen J, He J, Litbarg N, Ojo A, Rahman M, Rosen L, Steigerwalt S, Strauss L, Joffe MM. Urinary Sodium Is a Potent Correlate of Proteinuria: Lessons from the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort Study. Am J Nephrol 36: 397-404, 2012
- Diamantidis CJ, Zuckerman M, Fink W, Aggarwal S, Prakash D, Fink JC. Usability testing and acceptance of a multi-platform IT Medication Inquiry System (MIS) in chronic kidney disease (CKD). Am J Kidney Dis (ePub), 2012
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.