Mary Elizabeth Bollinger, D.O, FAAAI is an Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Dr. Bollinger is a board certified Allergist/Immunologist and is the Medical Director for the University of Maryland Children's Hospital Breathmobile. She joined the faculty in the Department of Pediatrics in 1996.
Dr. Bollinger earned her undergraduate degree in Biology from Notre Dame University of Maryland and received her medical degree from Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Dr. Bollinger completed her pediatric residency at the University of Maryland Children’s Hospital and her Allergy/Immunology fellowship training at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institution. She is currently certified by the American Board of Allergy and Immunology and is a Fellow of the American Academy of Asthma Allergy and Immunology (AAAAI).
Dr. Bollinger serves on the executive committee of the Maryland Asthma Control Program and serves as a committee member for the AAAAI Practice Management Committee and Academic Sustainability Sub-Committee as well as the AAAAI Adverse Reactions to Drugs, Biologicals and Latex Committee.
Dr. Bollinger's research interests include inner city asthma, and impact of food allergy on children and families.
Dr. Bollinger's clinical specialties include asthma, food allergy, primary immunodeficiency, latex allergy, atopic dermatitis, and allergic rhinitis
- Schleimer RP, Undem BJ, Meeker S, Bollinger ME, et al. Dexamethasone inhibits the antigen-induced contractile activity and release of inflammatory mediators in isolated guinea pig lung tissue. Am Rev Respir Dis 1987;135(3):562-6.
- Bollinger ME, Eggleston PA, Flanagan E and Wood RA. Cat antigen in homes with and without cats can cause allergic symptoms. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1996;100:907-914.
- Bollinger ME, Arredondo-Vega FX, Santisteban I, et al. Hepatic dysfunction as a complication of adenosine deaminase deficiency. N Eng J Med 1996;334(21):1367-1371.
- Bollinger ME, Wood RA, Chen P and Eggleston PA.Measurement of cat allergen levels in the home by use of an amplified ELISA. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1998;101(1):124-125.
- Bollinger ME, Hamilton RG, Wood RA. Protamine allergy as a complication of insulin hypersensitivity J Allergy Clin Immunol 1999;104(2 pt1):462-5.
- Zuckerman IH, Stuart B, Magder L, Bollinger ME, Weiss S. Adherence to asthma treatment guidelines among children in the Maryland Medicaid program. Current Therapeutic Research 2000;61(12):912-924.
- Bollinger ME, Mudd K, Keible LA, Hess BL, Bascom R, Hamilton RG. A hospital-based screening program for natural rubber latex allergy. Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Clin Immunol 2002;88:560-567.
- Amr S, Bollinger ME, Myers M, Hamilton R, et al. Environmental allergens and asthma in urban elementary schools. Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Clin Immunol. 2003:90:34-40. PMID: 12546335.
- Pradel FG, Weiss SR, Magder LS, Tsoukleris M, Fahlman C, Bollinger ME. Preliminary validation of the "Inhalation Device Skill Assessment Tool". J of Social and Administrative Pharmacy 2003; Vol 20(1):18-25
- Kimes D, Nelson R, Levine E, Timmins S, Weiss SR, Bollinger ME, Blaisdell CJ. Predicting hospital admissions and ED visits. Neural Comput & Applic 2003;12:10-17.
- Bollinger ME, Wolf B, Schwindt C, Hamilton RG. Contamination of nebulizer equipment with cockroach allergen: There's a bug in the system! Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Clin Immunol 2004;92:475-477. PMID: 15104202
- Butz AM, Syron L, Johnson B, Spaulding J, Walker M, Bollinger ME. Home-based asthma self-management education for inner city children. Public Health Nursing 2005;22(3):189-199. PMID: 15982192
- Bollinger ME, Butz A, Mudd K, Hamilton RG. Contamination of nebulizers with environmental allergens. Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Clin Immunol 2005;95(5):429-32.
- Bollinger ME, Dahlquist LM, Mudd K, Sonntag C, Dillinger L, McKenna K. The impact of food allergy on the daily activities of children and their families. Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Clin Immunol 2006;96:415-421. PMID: 16597075
- Mudd K, Bollinger ME, Hsu VD, Donithan M, Butz A. Pharmacy Fill Patterns in Young, Urban Children with Persistent Asthma. J Asthma 2006;43(8):597-600. PMID: 17050224.
- Butz A, Tsoukleris M, Donithan M, Hsu VD, Mudd K, Zuckerman I, Bollinger ME. Patterns of inhaled anti-inflammatory medication use in young underserved children with asthma. Pediatrics 2006;118:2504-2513. PMID: 17142537
- Bollinger ME, Weiss Smith S, LoCasale R, Blaisdell CJ. Transition to Managed Care Impacts Asthma Health Care Utilization by Children Insured by Medicaid. Journal of Asthma 2007;44:717-722. PMID: 17994400
- Mudd K, Bollinger ME, Hsu VD, Manning A, Tsoukleris MG, Butz AM. Concordance of Medicaid and Pharmacy Record Data in Inner-City Children with Asthma. Contemporary Clin Trials 2008;29(1):13-20. PMID: 17574930
- Butz AM, Sellers MD, Vibbert C, Land C, Walker J, Tsoukleris M, Bollinger ME. Factors affecting primary care provider and caregiver concordance for pediatric asthma medications. J Asthma 2009;46:308-13. PMID: 19373641
- Bollinger ME, Diette GB, Chang CL, Stephenson JJ, Sajjan S, Fan T, Allen-Ramey FC.Prescription Fills for Allergic Rhinitis Medications in a Commercially-Insured Population. Clinical Therapeutics 2010;32(6):1093-1102. PMID: 20637964
- Bollinger ME, Morphew T, Mullins CD. The Breathmobile program: A good investment for underserved children with asthma. Annals Allergy Asthma and Clin Immunol 2010;105:274 –281. PMID: 20934626
- Butz A, Halterman JS, Bellin M, Tsoukleris M, Donithan M, Kub J, Thompson RE, Walker J, Bollinger ME. Factors associated with second hand smoke exposure in young inner city children with asthma. J Asthma 2011;48:449-457.
- Scott L, Morphew T, Bollinger ME, Samuelson S, Galant S, Clement L, O’Cull K, Jones F, Jones CA. Achieving and maintaining asthma control in inner-city children. J Allergy Clin Immunol Jul;128(1):56-63. Epub 2011 Apr 30.2011.
- Butz A, Walker J, Bollinger ME. Home Environmental Controls for Children with Asthma. Current Pediatric Reviews 2012 Feb;8(1):37-44.
- Eakin MN, Rand CS, Bilderback A, Bollinger ME, Butz A, Kandasamy V, Riekert KA. Asthma in Head Start children: Effects of the Breathmobile program and family communication on asthma outcomes. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012 Mar;129(3):664-670.
- Bellin M, Kub J, Frick K, Bollinger ME, Tsoukleris M, Walker J, Land C, Butz AM. Stress and Quality of Life in Caregivers of Inner-city Minority Children with Poorly Controlled Asthma. Journal of Pediatric Healthcare 2013 June;27(2):127-134. (PMID:23414978)
- Morphew T, Scott L, Li M, Galant SP, Wong W, Garcia-Lloret M, Jones F, Bollinger ME, Jones CA. Mobile health care operations and return on investment in predominately underserved children with asthma: The Breathmobile program. Population Health Management 2013 Aug;16(4):261-269. (PMID:23941048)
- Herbert L, Dahlquist L, Bollinger ME. Maternal intolerance of uncertainty, anxiety and adherence with food challenge referrals J Health Psych 2013 Sept;18(9)1209-1219. (PMID:23129828)
- Bollinger ME, Mudd K, Boldt A, Hsu V, Tsoukleris M, Butz A. Prescription fill patterns in underserved children with asthma receiving subspecialty care. Ann of Allergy Asthma Immunol 2013 Sept;111:185-189. (PMID:23987193)
- Butz AM, Halterman J, Bellin M, Kub J, Tsoukleris M, Frick KD, Thompson RE, Land C, Bollinger ME. Improving preventive care in high risk children with asthma: Lessons learned. J Asthma 2014 June;51(5):498-507. (PMID:24517110)
- Dahlquist LM, Power TG, Hahn A, Hoehn J, Thompson CE, Herbert LJ, Law EF, Bollinger ME. Parenting and Independent Problem-Solving in Preschool Children with Food Allergy. J Pediatric Psychology 2014 October, pp 1-13. (PMID:25326001)
- Butz AM, Ogborn J, Mudd S, Ballreich J, Tsoukleris M, Kub J, Bollinger ME. Factors Associated with High Short Acting Beta2 Agonist (SABA) Use in Urban Children with Asthma. Ann of Allergy Asthma Immunol 2015 May; 385-92. (PMID:25840499)
- Sedaghat AR, Matsui EC, Baxi SN, Bollinger ME, Miller R, Perzanowski M, Phipatanakul W. Mouse sensitivity is an independent risk factor for rhinitis in children with asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2016 Jan-Feb;4(1):82-88. (PMID:26441149)
- Belin MH, Bollinger ME, Butz A. et al. Salivary cotinine measurement for all children with persistent asthma: spit matters. Ann of Allergy Asthma Immunol 2016, March (epub ahead of print)
Angioedema, M Reid, B Euerle, M Bollinger. Emedicine 2001 (updated 2005, 2008)
ME Bollinger and J Lee, Allergic and Immunologic Disorders, In: S Wolfsthal (Editor) National Medical Series -Medicine 6th Edition, Lipincott Williams & Wilkins 2008.
Alden, J., Habicht R, Bollinger ME. Allergic and Immunologic Disorders, In: Wolfsthal SD, editor. National Medical Series -Medicine. 7th Edition. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkens, Baltimore, MD 2011.