Xiaofeng Jia, B.M., M.S., PhD is a faculty member of the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. He was the Associate Research Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Anesthesiology & Critical Care Medicine at Johns Hopkins University. He has been a Faculty at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD since 2007, after spending three years as a post-doctoral fellow at the Biomedical Engineering department. He received the B.M. degree in Clinical Medicine from Zhejiang Medical University in 1994, the M.S. degree in Surgery from Shanghai Medical University in 1997 and the Ph.D. degree in Surgery (Orthopedics) from Fudan University in 2003. He completed his surgery residency in the Huashan Hospital and Orthopedic Surgery fellowship in the Shanghai 6th People's Hospital. He had been an Attending Surgeon in the Department of Orthopedics at the Shanghai 6th People's Hospital and later the Zhongshan Hospital.
Dr. Jia has been serving as a member of NIH study sections for Clinical Neuroplasticity and Neurotransmitters [CNNT], Biomaterials & Biointerfaces [BMBI], Acute Neural Injury and Epilepsy [ANIE], and Brain Injury and Neurovascular Pathologies [BINP]. He is a member of eight editorial boards and the leading guest editor for the Special issue for the International Journal of Molecular Sciences and BioMed Research International. He is Adhoc Peer Reviewer of multiple journals including Circulation and Critical Care Medicine. Dr. JIA is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), American Association for Hand Surgery (AAHS), American Heart Association (AHA) and Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM). He is a recipient of the Annual Research Awards from AAHS in 2008 (among one of total 3 awarded nationally), the 2009 Top 20 Scientific Exhibits and the 2008 Finalist of Best Overall Poster Award of AAOS, the CPCC Junior Investigator Travel Award from AHA, the Finalist of Research Citation Award from SCCM. His research work was highlighted as a significant advance based on animal research at the 65th American Academy of Neurology (AAN) Annual Meeting, 2013.
Dr. Jia's research interests include brain monitoring and therapeutic hypothermia, peripheral nerve injury and regeneration, translational therapeutic model for neurological injuries, development and characterization of biomaterials for bone and peripheral nerve regeneration.
Brain Monitoring and Therapeutic Hypothermia
The current research focuses on the development of novel translational tools for uncovering mechanisms of brain injury after cardiac arrest, monitoring and tracking the neurological injuries, and guiding treatments like therapeutic hypothermia.
The goal is to develop quantitative EEG based neuro-electrical markers of coma and arousal after cardiac arrest, and modulate therapeutic hypothermia by quantitative electrophysiological markers toward improved functional outcome. This project seeks to explore the impact of therapeutic hypothermia on spatio-temporal pattern of glucose utilization measured by small animal positron emission tomography (PET) imaging, and electrophysiological recovery after cardiac arrest.
Peripheral Nerve Injury
The current research focuses on developing novel methodology to promote nerve regeneration after peripheral nerve injury and developing novel nerve scaffold for the next generation of nerve signal controlled prosthetic limbs.
This grant from supports Maryland Stem Cell Research Fund new and/or innovative hypotheses, approaches, mechanisms or models that will advance the field of regenerative medicine and generate human stem cell therapies to repair or replace missing, damaged, or diseased cells, tissues and organs. This project aims to develop potential cell based therapies for peripheral nerve injury to enhance peripheral nerve regeneration and functional recovery in a translational model.
Grants & Contracts:
NIH/NHLBI 5 RO1
X Jia (PI)
7/1/13 - 3/30/18
Brain Monitoring and Therapeutic Hypothermia after Cardiac Arrest
TEDCO, State of Maryland
X Jia (PI)
7/01/13 - 6/30/15
Electrical Stimulation on Neural Crest Stem Cell Transplantation in Nerve Regeneration
American Heart Association
X Jia (PI)
7/1/2009-6/30/2013 NCE 6/30/2014
Quantitative Somatosensory Evoked Potential: Novel approach to Monitoring Neurologic Recovery Post Cardiac Arrest
- Temple JP, Hutton DL, Hung BP, Huri PY, Cook CA, R Kondragunta, Jia X, Grayson WL. Engineering Anatomically Shaped Vascularized Bone Grafts with hASCs and 3D-Printed PCL Scaffolds. The Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part A. 2014 In Press
- Chen C, Maybhate A, Israel D, Thakor NV, Jia X*. Analysis of Granger Causality for Assessment of Thalamocortical Functional Connectivity. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2013 Sep;21(5):725-33. doi: 10.1109/TNSRE.2013.2271246. Epub 2013 Jul 10 PMID: 23864221
- Li J, Zhen G, Tsai SY, Jia X*. Epidermal Stem Cells in Orthopaedic Regenerative Medicine. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2013 May 31;14(6):11626-42. doi: 10.3390/ijms140611626 PMID: 23727934
- Zhen G, Wen C, Jia X, Li Y, Crane JL, Mears SC, Askin FB, Frassica FJ, Chang W, Yao J, Carrino JA, Cosgarea A, Artemov D, Chen Q, Zhao Z, Zhou X, Riley L, Sponseller P, Wan M, Lu WW, Cao X. Inhibition of TGF-Î² signaling in mesenchymal stem cells of subchondral bone attenuates osteoarthritis. Nature Medicine 2013 Jun;19(6):704-12. doi: 10.1038/nm.3143. Epub 2013 May 19. PMID: 23685840 Highlighted in [Editorials] by Bush JR, Beier F. TGF-Î² and osteoarthritis--the good and the bad. Nat Med. 2013 Jun;19(6):667-9. doi: 10.1038/nm.3228, and in Nat Rev Rheumatol by Leah E. Osteoarthritis: TGF-Î² overload at bones of cartilage degeneration. 2013 Jul;9(7):382. doi: 10.1038/nrrheum.2013.81. Epub 2013 May 28.
- Nag S, Jia X, Thakor NV, Sharma D. Flexible Charge Balanced Stimulator with 5.6 fC Accuracy for 140 nC Injections. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems 2013; 7(3): 266-275 DOI:10.1109/TBCAS.2012.2205574 PMID: 23853326 IEEE Xplore
- Liu S, Jia X, Li C, Han X, Yan W, Xing Y. CXCR7 silencing attenuates cell adaptive response to stromal cell derived factor 1Î± after hypoxia. PLOS ONE 2013;8(1):e55290. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0055290. Epub 2013 Jan 31. PMID: 23383139
- Jia X*, Kowalski RG, Sciubba DM, Geocadin RG. Critical Care of Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury. J Intensive Care Med. 2013 Jan-Feb;28(1):12-23. doi: 10.1177/0885066611403270. Epub 2011 Apr 11. PMID: 21482574
- Wan M, Li C, Zhen G, Jiao K, He W, Jia X, Wang W, Shi C, Xing Q, Chen YF, Jan De Beur S, Yu B, Cao X. Injury-Activated TGFÎ² Controls Mobilization of Mscs for Tissue Remodeling. Stem Cells 2012 Nov;30(11):2498-511. doi: 10.1002/stem.1208. Epub 2012 Aug 21 PMID: 22911900
- Kortelainen J, Jia X, SeppÃ¤nen T, Thakor NV. Increased electroencephalographic gamma activity reveals awakening from isoflurane anaesthesia in rats. British Journal of Anaesthesia. 2012 Nov;109(5):782-9 doi: 10.1093/bja/aes265. Epub 2012 Aug 19 PMID: 22907339
- Tan EW, Ting BL, Jia X, Skolasky RL, McFarland EG. Diagnostic errors in orthopaedic surgery: evaluation of resident documentation of neurovascular examinations for orthopaedic trauma patients. Am J Med Qual 2013 Jan;28(1):60-8. doi: 10.1177/1062860612447856. Epub 2012 Jul 13. PMID: 22798636
- Xian L, Wu X, Pang L, Lou M, Rosen C, Qiu T, Crane J, Frassica F, Zhang L, Rodriguez JP, Jia X, Yakar S, Xuan S, Efstratiadis A, Wan M, Cao X. Matrix IGF-1 maintains bone mass by activation of mTOR in mesenchymal stem cells. Nature Medicine 2012 18 (7), 1095-1101 Epub 2012 Jun 24. doi: 10.1038/nm.2793. PMID: 22729283 Highlighted in Nat Rev Rheumatol by Carney EF.Bone: modulation of IGF-1 might prevent osteoporosis. 2012 Aug;8(8):440. doi: 10.1038/nrrheum.2012.112. Epub 2012 Jul 10
- Zhang D, Jia X, Ding H. The effect of anesthetic concentration on burst-suppression of the EEG in rats. Journal of Biomedical Engineering (Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi). 2012 Apr;29(2):223-8, 232. PMID: 22616162
- Madhok J, Wu D, Xiong W, Geocadin RG, Jia X*. Hypothermia amplifies somatosensory evoked potentials in uninjured rats. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2012 Jul;24(3):197-202 Equb 2012 Mar 20 PMID: 22441433
- Wu D, Xiong W, Jia X, Geocadin RG, Thakor NV. Short- and Long-latency Somatosensory Neuronal Responses Reveal Selective Brain Injury and Effect of Hypothermia in Global Hypoxic-Ischemia. Journal of Neurophysiology 2012 Feb;107(4):1164-71. Epub 2011 Dec 7 PMID: 22157111
- Dewan AK, Garzon-Muvdi J, Petersen SA, Jia X, McFarland EG. Intraarticular Abnormalities in Overhead Athletes Are Variable. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2012 Jun;470(6):1552-7 Epub 2011 Nov 18 PMID: 22095131
- Ma Y, Hu Y, Valentin N, Geocadin R, Thakor NV, Jia X*. Time Jitter of Somatosensory Evoked Potentials in Recovery from Hypoxic-ischemic Brain Injury. Journal of Neuroscience Methods 2011 Oct 15;201(2):355-360. Epub 2011 Aug 22. PMID: 21878352
- Jia X*, Peters PG, Schon L. The Use of Platelet-Rich Plasma in the Management of Foot and Ankle Conditions. Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine 2011 Sept 19(3) 177-184 DOI
- Jia X, Yokota A, McCarty EC, Nicholson GP, Weber SC, McMahon PJ, Dunn WR, McFarland EG. Reproducibility and Reliability of the Snyder Classification of Superior Labral Anterior Posterior Lesions Among Shoulder Surgeons. Am J Sports Med 2011 May;39(5):986-91. Epub 2011 Feb 1 PMID: 21285446
- Lewitus D, Vogelstein J, Zhen G, Choi YS, Kohn J, Harshbarger S, Jia X*. Designing Tyrosine-derived Polycarbonate Polymers for Biodegradable Regenerative Type Neural Interface Capable of Neural Recording. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2011 Apr;19(2):204-12. Epub 2010 Dec 10. PMID: 21147598
- Wu D, Anastassios B, Xiong W, Madhok J, Jia X, Thakor NV. Study of the origins of short- and long-latency SSEP during recovery from brain ischemia in a rat model. Neuroscience Letters 2010 Nov 26;485(3):157-61. Epub 2010 Sep 21 PMID: 20816917
- Jia X, Ji JH, Pannirselyam VK, Petersen S, McFarland EG. Does a Positive Neer Impingement Sign Reflect Rotator Cuff Contact with the Acromion? Clin Orthop Relat Res, 2011 Mar;469(3):813-8. Epub 2010 Sep 28 PMID: 20878281
- Madhok J, Maybhate A, Xiong W, Geocadin RG, Jia X*, Thakor NV*. Quantitative Assessment of Somatosensory Evoked Potentials after Cardiac Arrest in Rats: Prognostication of Functional Outcomes. Critical Care Medicine 2010 Aug;38(8):1709-17. Epub 2010 Jun 3 PMID: 20526197 Highlighted in [Editorials] by Young GB. Promising prognostic potentials: perhaps. Crit Care Med. 2010 Aug;38(8):1753. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0b013e3181e8788c.
- Choi Y, Koenig MA, Jia X, Thakor NV. Quantifying Time-varying Multiunit Neural Activity using Entropy based Measures. IEEE Tran. Biomedical Eng 2010 Nov 57(11):2771-7. May 10. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 20460201
- Xiong W, Koenig M, Madhok J, Jia X, Puttgen HA, Thakor NV, Geocadin RG. Evolution of Somatosensory Evoked Potentials after Cardiac Arrest Induced Hypoxic-Ischemic Injury. Resuscitation 2010 Jul;81(7):893-7. Epub 2010 AprPMID: 20418008 Highlighted in [Editorials] by Young GB. Somatosensory evoked potentials after cardiac arrest: a stimulus for investigation. Resuscitation. 2010 Jul;81(7):784-5. doi: 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2010.03.032. Epub 2010 Apr 24.
- McFarland EG, Garzon-Muvdi J, Jia X, Desai P, Petersen SA. Clinical and Diagnostic Tests for Shoulder Disorders: A Critical Review. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2010;44(5):328-3320 Epub 2009 Dec 2. PMID: 19955165
- Jia X, Petersen S, Khosravi AH, Almareddi V, Pannirselvam V, McFarland EG. Examination of the Shoulder: the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (AM) 2009 91(Suppl 6):10-18 PMID: 19884407
- McFarland EG, Tanaka MJ, Garzon-Muvdi J, Jia X, Petersen S. Clinical and imaging assessment for superior labrum anterior and posterior lesions. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2009 Sep-Oct;8(5):234-9 PMID: 19741350
- Jia X, Ji JH, Petersen S, Freehill MT, McFarland EG. An Analysis of Shoulder Laxity in Patients Undergoing Shoulder Surgery. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (AM) 2009 Sep;91(9):2144-50 PMID: 19723991
- Zhang D, Jia X, Ding H, Ye D, and Thakor NV. Application of Tsallis Entropy to EEG: Quantifying the Presence of Burst Suppression after Asphyxial Cardiac Arrest in Rats. IEEE Tran. Biomedical Eng 2010 57 (4): 867 â?" 874 Epub 2009 Aug 18. PMID: 19695982
- Kang X, Jia X, Geocadin RG, Thakor NV, Maybhate A. Multi-scale entropy analysis for assessment of post-cardiac arrest recovery under hypothermia. IEEE Tran. Biomedical Eng 2009 April 50 (4):1023-31 PMID: 19174339
- Koenig MA, Jia X, Kang X, Velasquez A, Thakor NV, Geocadin RG. Intraventrcular Orexin-A Improves Arousal and EEG Entropy in Rats after Cardiac Arrest. Brain Res. 2009 Feb 19;1255:153-61. Epub 2008 Dec 16. PMID: 19111527
- Li N, Jia X, Murari K, Parlapalli R, Rege A, Thakor NV. High Spatiotemporal Resolution Imaging of the Neurovascular Response to Electrical Peripheral Trigeminal Nerve Stimulation as Revealed by in vivo Laser Speckle Contrast. Journal of Neuroscience Methods 2009 Jan;176(2):230-6. Epub 2008 Jul 25. PMID: 18706442
- Jia X, Ji JH, Petersen S, Keefer J, McFarland EG. Clinical Evaluation of the Shoulder Shrug Sign. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 2008 Nov;466(11):2813-9 PMID: 18543050
- Jia X*, Koenig MA, Venkatraman A, Thakor NV, Geocadin RG. Post-cardiac arrest temperature manipulation alters early EEG bursting in rats. Resuscitation 2008 Sep; 78, (3):367-373 PMID: 18597914
- Shin HC, Jia X, Nickl R, Geocadin RG and Thakor NV. A Subband-based Information Measure of EEG During Brain Injury and Recovery After Cardiac Arrest, IEEE Tran. Biomedical Eng 2008 Aug;55(8):1985-90 PMID: 18632361 Highlighted in Journal Cover Illustration
- Geocadin RG, Koenig MA, Jia X, Stevens RD, Peberdy MA. Management of brain injury after resuscitation from cardiac arrest. Neurol Clin 2008 May 26 (2) 487-506 PMID: 18514823
- Jia X*, Koenig MA, Nickl R, Zhen G, Thakor NV, Geocadin RG. Early Electrophysiologic Markers Predict Functional Outcome Associated with Temperature Manipulation after Cardiac Arrest in Rats. Critical Care Medicine 2008; 36 (6):1909-16 PMID: 18496359 Highlighted in [Editorials] by Tempelhoff, RenÃ© MD; Yoder, Jeffrey MD. Monitoring the brain: Lack of tools or lack of will? Critical Care Medicine 2008; 36 (6):1983-1984
- Jia X*, Zhen G, Puttgen A, Zhang J, Chen T. Improved long-term recording of nerve signal by modified intrafascicular electrodes in rabbits. Microsurgery 2008 28(3): 173-178 PMID: 18286654
- McFarland EG, Srikumaran U, Petersen SA, Jia X and Fayad LM. How to make sense of shoulder MRI: determining when to treat and when to refer. J Musculoskelet Med 2007 24(12):500-506
- Jia X*, Koenig MA, Shin HC, Zhen G, Pardo CA, Hanley DF, Thakor NV, Geocadin RG. Improving neurological outcomes post-cardiac arrest in a rat model: Immediate hypothermia and quantitative EEG monitoring. Resuscitation, 2008 March 76(3), 431-442 PMID: 17936492
- Murari K, Li N, Rege A, Jia X, All A, Thakor NV. Contrast Enhanced Imaging of Cerebral Vasculature with Laser Speckle. Applied Optics. 2007 Aug 1, 46(22), 5340-5346 PMID: 17676149
- Jia X*, Koenig MA, Zhang X, Zhang J, Chen T, Chen Z. Residual Motor Signal In Long-Term Human Severed Peripheral Nerves And Feasibility Of Neural Signal-Controlled Artificial Limb. The Journal of Hand Surgery (AM). 2007 May-June, 32(5), 657-666 PMID: 17482005
- Jia X*, Koenig MA, Shin HC, Zhen G, Yamashita S, Thakor NV, Geocadin RG. Quantitative EEG and Neurological Recovery after therapeutic Hypothermia of Asphyxial Cardiac Arrest in Rats. Brain Research, 2006 September 21, 1111(1) 166-175 PMID: 16919609
- Shin HC, Tong S, Yamashita S, Jia X, Geocadin RG, Thakor NV, Quantitative EEG and Effect of Hypothermia on Brain Recovery After Cardiac Arrest. IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Eng, 2006 Jun, 53 (6): 1016-1023 PMID: 16761828
- Hu T, Zhang X, Zhang Z, Zhang J, Jia X, Zheng X, Yang Y, Chen Z, Xu X, Chen T. Initial detection and analysis of neuro-information from amputee. Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi, 2006 Feb; 23(1):1-5 PMID: 16532797
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.