Diagnostic Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
Assistant Professor and attending physcian, Diagnostic Radiology and Nuclear Medicine.
I am a physcian scientist at the UMB after I complished my residency in 2013. Before this appointment, I have studied molecular biology in alcoholic liver disease and non-alcoholic liver disease in the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York. I have published more than 30 articles in peer review journals.
My goal is:
- to study the molecular imaging PET/CT and MR in the diagnosis and monitoring treatment response of liver disease and liver cancers.
- to collaborate with other investigators in various projects by using molecular imaging techniques including PET/CT and MR.
My clinical specialty is nulcear medicine including PET/CT imaging, myocardial imaging, bone scan, thyroid and parathyroid scan, and more.
Lab Techniques and Equipment:
My lab includes:
- a lab for molecular biology with cell isolation and culture from animal tissues in rats and mice with alcoholic fatty liver, alcoholic hepatitis and alcoholic fibrosis. ELISA, Western blotting, PCR, etc.
- full access to small animal imaging PET/CT and MR
- Cao Q, Mak KM, Lieber CS. Dilinoleoylphosphatidylcholine decreases TGF-beta1-induced collagen mRNA by inhibiting p38 MAPK in hepatic stellate cells. Am J Physiol Gastrointestinal & Liver Physiol2002; 283(5):G1051-G1061.
- Lieber CS, Leo MA, Mak KM, Xu YQ, Cao Q, Ren CL, Ponomarenko A, DeCarli LM. Model of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, including steatohepatitis. Am. J. ClinNutr.2004; 79(3):502-9.
- Cao Q, Mak KM, Ren CL, and Lieber CS. Leptinstimulates tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 in human hepatic stellate cells: respective roles of the JAK-STAT and JAK-mediated H2O2-depedent MAPK pathways. J. Biol. Chem. 2004; 279(6):4292-4304.
- Cao Q, Mak KM, and Lieber CS. Cytochrome P4502E1 primes macrophages to increase TNF-alpha production in response to lipopolysaccharide. Am J. PhysiolGastrointest Liver PhysiolJuly 2005; 289(1):G95-G107.
- Liu H, Zheng F, Cao Q, Ren B, Zhu L, Striker G, Vlassara H. Amelioration of oxidant stress by the defensin lysozyme. Am. J. Physiol. EndocrinolMetab. May 2006; 290(5):E824-E832.
- Cao Q, K Mak, Lieber CS. Leptin represses matrix metalloproteinase-1 gene expression in LX-2 human hepatic stellate cells. Journal of Hepatology 2007; 46(1):124-33.
- You M, Cao Q, Liang X, Ajmo JM, Ness GC. Mammalian sirtuin 1 is involved in the protective action of dietary saturated fat against alcoholic fatty liver in mice. J Nutr. 2008; 138(3):497-501.
- Chen W, Cao Q, Dilsizian V. Variation of heart-to-mediastinal ratio in (123) I-mIBG cardiac sympathetic imaging: it's affecting factors and potential corrections. CurrCardiol Rep. 2011; 13(2):132-7.
- Cao Q, and Chen W. FDG PET imaging of large-vessel vasculitis. PET Clinic. 2012; 7:227-232.
- Chen W, Cao Q and Dilsizian V. Reply to the letter by Ben F. Bulten et al. regarding "Interobserver Variability of Heart-to-Mediastinum Ratio in I-123 MIBG Sympathetic Imaging"Current Cardiology Reports. 2012;14(4):391.
- Klein T, Dilsizian V, Cao Q, Chen W, Dickfeld T. The potential role of iodine-123 metaiodobeuanidine imaging for identifying sustained ventricular tachycardia in patients with cardiomyopathy. 2013;15:359.
- Cao Q, Lu M, Heath J, Hausner PF, Alexander, RH, Dilsizian V, and Chen W. F-18 FDG PET/CT in a recurrent diffuse malignant peritoneal mesothelioma. Clinical Nuclear Medicine 2012; 37:492-494.
- Singh SN, Cao Q, Gojo I, Rapoport AP, Akpek G. Durable complete remission after single agent decitabine in AML relapsing in extramedullary sites after allo-SCT.Bone Marrow Transplant.2012;47(7):1008-1009.
- Cao Q, Lu M,Huebner T,Dilsizian V, and Chen W. F-18 FDG PET/CT in a Rare Malignant Extra-skeletal Osteosarcoma. Radiology. Clin. Nuc. Med. 2013;38(9):e367-369.
- Cao Q, Jones L,Tkaczuk K,Smith M, Jenkins J, Dilsizian V, and Chen W. A Pilot Study of FDG PET/CT Detects a Link Between Brown Adipose Tissue and Breast Cancer. BMC Cancer. 2014;14:126.