Casey L. Overby
Adjunct Investigator I, Geisinger Health System
Casey Lynnette Overby is a faculty member in the Program for Personalized and Genomic Medicine (PPGM), the Center for Health-related Informatics and Bio-imaging (CHIB), and is an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. She is also affiliated with the University of Maryland Institute for Advanced Computing Studies. Dr. Overby received a Bachelor of Science degree in Bioinformatics from the University of Michigan in 2004, her Masters of Biotechnology from the University of Pennsylvania in 2006, and her PhD in Biomedical and Health Informatics from the University of Washington School of Medicine in 2011. She also received a Graduate Certificate in Public Health Genetics from the University of Washington School of Public Health in 2011. In 2013, Dr. Overby completed her post-doctoral training in the Department of Biomedical informatics at Columbia University and started her position at the University of Maryland.
My research interests span a number of areas at the intersection of public health genetics and biomedical informatics, including applications that support translation of biological knowledge to clinical care and population healthcare, delivering health information and knowledge to the public, and developing knowledge-based approaches to use big data for population health.
Publications on PubMed
- Overby CL, Hripcsak G, Shen Y. Estimating heritability of drug-induced liver injury from common variants and implications for future study designs. Scientific Reports. 2014 Jul 21;4:5762
- Overby CL, Rasmussen LV, Hartzler A, Connolly JJ, Peterson JF, Hedberg RE, Freimuth RR, Shirts BH, Denny JC, Larson EB, Chute CG, Jarvik GP, Ralston JD, Shuldiner AR, Starren J, Kullo IJ, Tarczy-Hornoch P, Williams MS. A Template for Authoring and Adapting Genomic Medicine Content in the eMERGE Infobutton Project. AMIA 2014 Annual Symposium. Washington, DC. (Paper presentation).
- Devine EB, Lee CJ, Overby CL, Abernethy N, McCune J, Smith JW, Tarczy-Hornoch P. Usability Evaluation of Pharmacogenomics Clinical Decision Support Aids and Clinical Knowledge Resources in a Computerized Provider Order Entry System: A Mixed Methods Approach. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2014; 83(7):473-83.
- Overby CL, Erwin AL, Abul-Husn NS, Ellis SB, Scott SA, Obeng AO, Kannry JL, Hripcsak G, Bottinger EP, Gottesman O. Physician Attitudes Toward Adopting Genome-guided Prescribing Through Clinical Decision Support. Journal of Personalized Medicine. 2014, 4, 35-49.
- Shuldiner AR, Palmer K, Pakyz RE, Alestock TD, Malony KA, O'Neil C, Bhatty S, Schub J, Overby CL Horenstein R, Pollin TI, Kelemen MD, Beitelshees AL, Robinson SW, Blitzer M, McArde PF, Brown L, Zhao R, Ambulos N, Vesely M. Implementation of Pharmacogenomics: The University of Maryland Program for Personalized and Genomic Medicine. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics. 2014.
- Overby CL, Pathak J, Gottesman O, Haerian K, Perotte A, Murphy S, Bruce K, Johnson S, Talwalker J, Shen Y, Ellis S, Kullo I, Chute C, Friedman C, Bottinger E, Hripcsak G, Weng C. A Collaborative Approach to Develop an Electronic Health Record Phenotyping Algorithm for Drug-Induced Liver Injury. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. 2013 Dec; 20(e2):e243-52. doi:10.1136/amiajnl-2013-001930. Epub 2013 July 9.
- Cimino JJ, Overby CL, Devine EB, Hulse NC, Jing X, Maviglia SM, Del Fiol G. Practical Choices for Infobutton Customization: Experience from Four Sites. AMIA 2013 Fall Symposium. (Paper presentation)
- Overby CL*, Kohane I*, Williams MS, Kannry J, Starren JB, Bottinger E, Gottesman O, Denny JC, Weng C, Tarczy-Hornoch P, Hripcsak G. Opportunities for Genomic Clinical Decision Support Interventions. Genetics in Medicine. 2013; 15, 817-823. (*indicates co-first author)
- Lau B, Overby CL, Wirtz HS, Devine EB. The Association between Use of a Clinical Decision Support Tool and Adherence to Monitoring for Medication-Laboratory Guidelines in the Ambulatory Setting. Applied Clinical Informatics. 2013; 4:476-491.
- Gottesman O, Scott SA, Ellis SB, Overby CL, Ludtke A, Hulot J, Hall J, Chatani K, Myers K, Kannry JL, Bottinger EP, The CLIPMERGE PGx Program: Clinical Implementation of Personalized Medicine through Electronic Health Records and Genomics â?" Pharmacogenomics, Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2013 Aug;94(2):214-7. doi:10.1038/clpt.2013.72. Epub 2013 Apr 3.
- Del Fiol G, Curtis C, Cimino JJ, Iskander A, Kalluri ASD, Jing X, Hulse NC, Long J, Overby CL, Schardt C, Douglas DM. Disseminating Context-Specific Access to Online Knowledge Resources within Electronic Health Record Systems. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. 2013; 192:672-6.
- Overby CL, Weng C, Harian K, Perotte A, Friedman C, Hripcsak G. Evaluation considerations for EHR-based phenotyping algorithms: A case study for drug-induced liver injury. AMIA Summit on Translational Bioinformatics, Mar 18-20th, 2013. San Francisco, CA. (Paper presentation).
- Overby CL, Chung WK, Hripcsak G, Kukafka R. Cancer Genetic Counselor Information Needs for Risk Communication: A Qualitative Evaluation Interview Transcripts. Journal of Personalized Medicine. 2013; 3(3):238-250.
- Overby CL, Tarczy-Hornoch P. Personalized Medicine: Challenges and Opportunities for Translational Bioinformatics. Personalized Medicine. 2013; 10(4);453-462.
- Overby CL*, Tarczy-Hornoch P*, Kalet I, Thummel K, Smith J, Del Fiol G, Fenstermacher D, Devine EB. Development of a prototype model for integrating pharmacogenomics findings into clinical practice. Journal of Personalized Medicine. 2012; 2(4):241-256. (*indicates co-first author)
- Overby CL, Devine EB, Tarczy-Hornoch P, Kalet I. Deriving Rules and Assertions From Pharmacogenomic Knowledge Resources In Support of Patient Drug Exposure Predictions. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. 2012; 19(5):840-850.
- Overby CL, Tarczy-Hornoch P, Hoath J, Smith JW, Devine EB, Fenstermacher D. An Evaluation of Functional and User Interface Requirements for Phamracogenomic Clinical Decision Support. IEEE Health Informatics, Imaging, and Systems Biology (HISB) Conference 2011, San Jose, CA (Paper presentation)
- Overby CL, Devine EB, Tarczy-Hornoch P, Kalet I. Deriving Rules and Assertions From Pharmacogenomic Knowledge Resources In Support of Patient Drug Response Predictions. Intelligent Data Analysis in Biomedicine and Pharmacology (IDAMAP) Conference 2010, Washington, DC. (Paper presentation)
- Overby CL, Tarczy-Hornoch P, Hoath J, Kalet I, Veenstra D. Feasibility of Incorporating Genomic Knowledge Into Electronic Medical Records for Pharmacogenomic Clinical Decision Support. BMC Bioinformatics. 2010 Oct 28; 11 Supp 9:S10
- Overby CL, Tarczy-Hornoch P, Demner-Fushman D. The Potential for Automated Question Answering in the Context of Genomic Medicine: An Assessment of Existing Resources and Properties of Answers. BMC Bioinformatics. 2009 Sept 17; 10 Supp 9:S8
- Fenstermacher D, Street C, McSherry T, Nayak V, Overby C, Feldman M. The Cancer Biomedical Informatics Grid (caBIGTM) Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc Proceedings. 2005; 1:743. (Paper presentation)