Andrew N. Pollak
|Administrative Title: Chair, Department Of Orhtopaedics, Division Head
Professor of Orthopaedics; The James Lawrence Kernan Professor and Chair, Department of Orthopaedics; Chief of Orthopaedics; Associate Director, R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma
6th Floor, Suite 300
Dr. Pollak is Professor of Orthopaedics and Head of the Division of Orthopaedic Traumatology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. He is also Chief of Orthopaedics and Associate Director of Trauma at the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, Maryland's officially designated primary adult resource center for trauma care. Dr. Pollak received BS and MD degrees from Northwestern University and completed an orthopaedic surgery residency at the integrated Case Western Reserve University/University Hospitals of Cleveland program. In 1994, he completed a fellowship in orthopaedic trauma at the University of California Davis Medical Center. He has served in the past as Chair of the Board of Specialty Societies for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS). He currently serves as Treasurer of the American AAOS and is Immediate Past President of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association. Dr. Pollak is a former Chair of the Extremity War Injuries Project Team for the AAOS, former Commissioner for the Maryland Health Care Commission, and a Past President of the Maryland Orthopaedic Association. His current responsibilities include Editor of the AAOS Orange Book Series, Medical Director of the Baltimore County Fire Department, and Special Deputy US Marshal.
Dr. Pollak specializes in orthopaedic surgery and orthopaedic traumatology.
- Pollak AN. OTA Presidential Address: Fulfilling our Mission in Research and Education. J Orthop Trauma. 2012 Dec 14.
- Manson TT, Perdue PW, Pollak AN, O'Toole RV. Embolization of Pelvic Arterial Injury Is a Risk Factor for Deep Infection after Acetabular Fracture Surgery. J Orthop Trauma. 2013 Jan; 27(1): 11-5.
- Carlson LC, Hirshon MJ, Calvello EJ, Pollak AP. Operative Care after the Haiti 2010 Earthquake: Implications for Post-Disaster Definitive Care. Am J Emerg Med. 2013 Feb;31(2):429-31.
- Whitney A, O'Toole RV, Hui E, Sciadini MF, Pollak AN, Manson TT, Eglseder WA, Andersen RC, LeBrun C, Doro C, Nascone JW. Do one-time intracompartmental pressure measurements have a high false positive rate in diagnosing compartment syndrome? J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2014;76(2):479-483.
- Jacobs J, King T, Klippel J, Berven S, Burr D, Caskey P, Elderkin A, Esposito P, Gall E, Goldring S, Pollak AN, Sanborg C, Templeton K. Beyond the Decade: Strategic Priorities to Reduce the Burden of Musculoskeletal Disease. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Sep 4;95(17):e1251-6.
- Castillo RC, Wegener ST, Newell MZ, Carlini AR, Bradford AN, Heins SE, Wysocki E, Pollak AN, Teter H, Mackenzie EJ. Improving Outcomes at Level 1 Trauma Centers: An Early Evaluation of the Trauma Survivors Network. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013 Jun;74(6):1534-40.
- Okike K, O'Toole RV, Pollak AN, Bishop JA, McAndrew CM, Mehta S, Cross WW, Garrigues GE, Harris MB, and Lebrun CT. Survey Finds Few Orthopedic Surgeons Know The Costs Of The Devices They Implant. Health Aff (Milwood). 2014 Jan; 33(1):103-9.
- Zhou J, Li Y, Wang Q, Pollak AP and Slobogean GP. Status of Road Safety and Injury Burden: China. J Ortho Trauma 2014; 28:S41-S42.
- Torbert JT, Joshi M, Moraff A, Matuszewski PE, Holmes A, Pollak AN, O'Toole RV. Current bacterial speciation and antibiotic resistance in deep infections after operative fixation of fractures. J Orthop Trauma 2015;29(1):7-17.
- Kleweno C, O'Toole RV, Ballreich J, Pollak AN. Does fracture care make money for the hospital? An analysis of hospital revenue and cost for treatment of common fractures. J Orthop Trauma [Epub ahead of print, December 1, 2014].
- Boulton CL, Pollak AN. Ipsilateral femoral neck and shaft fractures: Does evidence give us the answer? Injury [Epub ahead of print, November 28, 2014].
- Scalea TM, Carco D, Reece M, Fouche YL, Pollak AN, Nagarkatti SS. Effect of a novel financial incentive program on operating room efficiency. JAMA Surg 2014;149(9):920-924.
- Zhou J, Li Y, Wang QK, Pollak AN, Slobogean GP. Status of road safety and injury burden: China. J Orthop Trauma 2014;28[suppl 1]:S41-S42.
- Wegener ST, Castillo RC, Heins SE, Bradford AN, Newell MZ, Pollak AN, MacKenzie EJ. The development and validation of the readiness to engage in self-management after acute traumatic injury questionnaire. 2014;59(2):203-210.
- Whitney A, O'Toole RV, Hui E, Sciadini MF, Pollak AN, Manson TT, Eglseder WA, Andersen RC, LeBrun C, Doro C, Nascone JW. Do one-time intracompartmental pressure measurements have a high false-positive rate in diagnosing compartment syndrome? J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2014;76(2):479-483.
- Okike K, O'Toole RV, Pollak AN, Bishop JA, McAndrew CM, Mehta S, Cross WW III, Garrigues GE, Harris MB, LeBrun CT. Survey finds few orthopedic surgeons know the costs of the devices they implant. Health Aff (Millwood) 2014;33(1):103-109.