- View Curriculum Vitae
Anthony J. Kim
Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy
655 W. Baltimore St.,
- B.S. - Penn State University, 2001
- Ph.D. - University of Pennsylvania, 2006
- University of Pennsylvania, 2007-2009
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2009-2013
Anthony Kim is an assistant professor of Neurosurgery, Pharmacology, and Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Maryland. Dr. Kim received his undergraduate degree in Chemical Engineering at Penn State University and Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. He then completed his postdoctoral training at the University of Pennsylvania and Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine as an individual NIH National Research Service Award (F32) postdoctoral fellow. Dr. Kim joined the faculty of the University of Maryland School of Medicine as a tenure-track Assistant Professor in May 2013.
Dr. Kim has authored 27 peer-reviewed papers, including publications in Science, Nature Materials, Angewandte Chemie, Journal of the American Chemical Society, and Biomaterials. These efforts have led to awards and recognitions from the Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) New Investigator Award, NIH K25 Quantitative Research Career Development Award, AAPS/Genentech Innovation in Biotechnology Award, PhRMA Foundation Research Starter Grant in Pharmaceutics, and Wilmer Research Award. Dr. Kim’s research program is currently supported by the NIH, NSF, and American Cancer Society.
As Co-Director of Translational Therapeutics Research Group (TTRG), my research focuses on developing translational nanomedicine for CNS diseases and other invasive and/or metastatic cancers. This is achieved through a collaborative team of scientists and clinicians to spur innovation at the interface of engineering science and clinical medicine. Towards this goal, I will (1) identify and characterize the rate-limiting extra- and intracellular barriers by applying innovative biophysical tools, and (2) develop advanced therapeutic systems that overcome these barriers to improve the therapeutic outcome.
Honors & Awards (Since 2011):
- AAPS New Investigator Award, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, 2015
- NIH K25 Quantitative Research Career Development Award, 2014-2017
- AAPS Innovation in Biotechnology Award (sponsored by Genentech), American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, 2015
- PhRMA Foundation Research Starter Grant in Pharmaceutics, 2014
- Wilmer Research Award, 2012
- NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (F32) Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2011-2013
- Dancy JG, Wadajkar AS, Schneider CS, Mauban JRH, Goloubeva OG, Woodworth GF, Winkles JA#, Kim AJ#. (2016) Non-specific binding and steric hindrance thresholds for penetration of particulate drug carriers within tumor tissue. Journal of Controlled Release (In Press).
- Hersh DS, Nguyen BA, Dancy JG, Adapa AR, Winkles JA, Woodworth GF, Kim AJ#, Frenkel V#. (2016) Pulsed ultrasound non-destructively expands the extracellular and perivascular spaces of the brain. Brain Research (In Press).
- Roberts NB*, Wadajkar AS*, Winkles JA, Davila E, Kim AJ, Woodworth GF. (2016) Repurposing platinum-based chemotherapies for multi-modal treatment of glioblastoma. OncoImmunology (In Press).¿
- Hersh DS, Kim AJ, Winkles JA, Frenkel V, Eisenberg HE, Woodworth GF. (2016) Emerging applications of therapeutic ultrasound in neuro-oncology: Moving beyond tumor ablation. Neurosurgery (In Press).
- Hersh DS, Wadajkar AS, Roberts NB, Perez JG, Connolly NP, Frenkel V, Winkles JA, Woodworth GF#, Kim AJ#. (2016). Evolving drug delivery strategies to overcome the blood brain barrier. Current Pharmaceutical Design 22, 1177.
- Perez JG, Tran NL, Rosenblum MG, Schneider CS, Connolly NP, Kim AJ, Woodworth GF, Winkles JA (2016). The TWEAK receptor Fn14 is a potential cell surface portal for targeted delivery of glioblastoma therapeutics. Oncogene¿ 35, 2145.
- Schneider CS, Bhargav A, Perez JG, Wadajkar A, Winkles JA, Woodworth GF#, Kim AJ#. (2015) Surface plasmon resonance as a high throughput method to evaluate specific and nonspecific binding of nanotherapeutics. Journal of Controlled Release. 219, 331.
- Schneider CS, Perez JG, Cheng E, Zhang C, Panagiotis M, Hanes J, Winkles JA, Woodworth GF#, Kim AJ#. (2015) Minimizing the Non-specific Binding of Nanoparticles to the Brain Enables Active Targeting of Fn14-positive Glioblastoma Cells. Biomaterials. 42, 42.
- Pan-in P, Wanichwecharungruang S, Hanes J, Kim AJ#. (2014) Cellular trafficking and anticancer activity of Garcinia mangostana extract-encapsulated polymeric nanoparticles. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 9, 3677.
- Schuster BS, Kim AJ, Kays JC, Kanzawa MM, Suk JS, Hanes J. (2014) The cystic fibrosis sputum barrier to adeno-associated virus gene therapy. Molecular Therapy. 22, 1484.
- Kim AJ*, Woodworth GF*, Boylan NJ, Suk JS, Hanes J. (2014) Highly compacted pH-responsive DNA nanoparticles mediate transgene silencing in experimental glioma. Journal of Materials Chemistry B. 2, 8165.
- Pease M, Oglesby EN, Cone-Kimball E, Jefferys JL, Steinhart MR, Kim AJ, Hanes J, Quigley HS. (2014) Scleral Permeability Varies by Mouse Strain and Is Decreased by Chronic Experimental Glaucoma. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 55, 2564.
- Suk JS*, Kim AJ*, Trehan K, Schneider CS, Cebotaru L, Woodward OM, Boylan NJ, Boyle MP, Lai SK, Guggino WB, Hanes J. (2014) Lung Gene Therapy with Highly Compacted DNA Nanoparticles that Overcome the Mucus Barrier. Journal of Controlled Release. 178, 8.
- Kim AJ*, Boylan NJ*, Suk JS, Hwangbo M, Yu T, Shuster BS, Cebotaru L, Lesniak, WG, Oh JS, Adstamongkonkul P, Choi AY, Kannan RM, Hanes J. (2013) Use of Single-Site Functional PEG-Dendrons to Prepare Gene Vectors that Penetrate Human Mucus Barriers. Angewandte Chemie Int Ed. 52, 3985.
- Burke CW, Suk JS, Kim AJ, Hsiang YJ, Klibanov AL, Hanes J, Price RJ. (2012) Markedly Enhanced Skeletal Muscle Transfection Achieved by the Delivery of Non-Viral Gene Nanocarriers with Small Microbubbles and Pulsed 1 MHz Ultrasound. Journal of Controlled Release. 162, 414.
- Kim AJ#, Hanes J#. (2012) The emergence of multiple particle tracking in intracellular trafficking of nanomedicines. Biophysical Reviews. 4, 83.
- Kim AJ*, Boylan NJ*, Suk JS, Lai SK, Hanes J. (2012) Non-degradative Intracellular Trafficking of Highly Compacted Polymeric DNA Nanoparticles. Journal of Controlled Release. 158, 102.
- Boylan NJ*, Kim AJ*, Suk JS, Adstamongkonkul P, Simons BW, Lai SK, Cooper MJ, Hanes J. (2012) Enhancement of airway gene transfer by DNA Nanoparticles using a pH-Responsive block copolymer of polyethylene glycol and poly-l-lysine. Biomaterials. 33, 2361.
- Percec V, Wilson DA, Leowanawat P, Wilson CJ, Hughes AD, Kaucher MS, Hammer DA, Levine DH, Kim AJ, Bates FS, Davis KP, Lodge TP, Klein ML, DeVane RH, Aqad E, Rosen BM, Argintaru AO, Sienkowska MJ, Rissanen K, Nummelin S, Ropponen J. (2010) Self-Assembly of Janus-Dendrimers into Monodisperse Dendrosomes and other Complex Architectures. Science. 328, 1009.
- Kim AJ, Kaucher MS, Davis KP, Peterca M, Iman MR, Christian NA, Levine DH, Bates FS, Percec V, Hammer DA. (2009) Proton Transport through Dendritic Helical Pore incorporated Polymersomes. Advanced Functional Materials. 19, 2930.
- Kim AJ*, Scarlett R*, Biancaniello PL, Sinno TR, Crocker JC. (2009) Probing interfacial equilibration in microsphere crystals formed by DNA-directed assembly. Nature Materials. 8, 52.
- Biancaniello PL, Kim AJ, Crocker JC. (2008) Long-time stretched exponential kinetics in the single DNA duplex dissociation. Biophysical Journal. 94, 891.
- Kaucher MS, Dulcey AE, Peterca M, Kim AJ, Vinogradov SA, Hammer DA, Heiney PA, Percec V. (2007) Selective Transport of Water Mediated by Porous Dendritic Dipeptide. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 129, 11698.
- Moon JH, Kim AJ, Crocker JC, Yang S. (2007) High-throughput synthesis of anisotropic colloids via holographic lithography. Advanced Materials. 19, 2508.
- Kim AJ, Biancaniello PL, Crocker JC. (2006) Engineering DNA-mediated Colloidal Crystallization. Langmuir. 22, 1991.
- Biancaniello PL, Kim AJ, Crocker JC. (2005) Colloidal Interactions and Self-Assembly Using DNA Hybridization. Physical Review Letters. 94, 58302.
- Kim AJ, Manoharan VN, Crocker JC. (2005) Swelling-Based Method for Preparing Stable, Functionalized Polymer Colloids. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 127, 1592.