- B.S. - Pennsylvania State University, 2001
- Ph.D. - University of Pennsylvania, 2006
- University of Pennsylvania, 2007-2009
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2009-2013
Anthony Kim is an assistant professor in the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Dr. Kim received his undergraduate degree in Chemical Engineering at Pennsylvania State University and Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering in 2006. He then completed postdoctoral training at the University of Pennsylvania (2007-2009) and Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine as an individual NIH NRSA postdoctoral fellow (2009-2013). Dr. Kim joined the faculty of the University of Maryland School of Medicine as an assistant professor in May 2013.
My research focuses on developing translational nanomedicine for treatment of CNS diseases, including brain cancer. This is achieved through a collaborative team of scientists and physicians to spur innovation at the interface of clinical medicine and engineering science. Towards this goal, I will (1) identify and characterize the rate-limiting extra- and intracellular barriers by applying innovative biophysical tools, and (2) develop advanced therapeutic systems that overcome these barriers to improve clinical outcome.
- Kim AJ*, Boylan NJ*, Hwangbo M, Suk JS, Yu T, Cebotaru L, Lesniak, WG, Oh JS, Adstamongkonkul P, Choi AY, Kannan RM, Hanes J. (2013) Use of Single-Site Functional PEG-Dendrons to Prepare Gene Vectors that Penetrate Human Mucus Barriers. Angewante Chemie Int Ed. 52, 3985.
- Burke CW, Suk JS, Kim AJ, Hsiang YJ, Klibanov AL, Hanes J, Price RJ. (2012) Markedly Enhanced Skeletal Muscle Transfection Achieved by the Delivery of Non-Viral Gene Nanocarriers with Small Microbubbles and Pulsed 1 MHz Ultrasound. J Control Release. 162, 414.
- Kim AJ#, Hanes J#. (2012) The emergence of multiple particle tracking in intracellular trafficking of nanomedicines. Biophysical Reviews. 4, 83.
- Kim AJ*, Boylan NJ*, Suk JS, Lai SK, Hanes J. (2012) Non-degradative Intracellular Trafficking of Highly Compacted Polymeric DNA Nanoparticles. J Control Release. 158, 102.
- Boylan NJ*, Kim AJ*, Suk JS, Adstamongkonkul P, Simons BW, Lai SK, Cooper MJ, Hanes J. (2012) Enhancement of airway gene transfer by DNA Nanoparticles using a pH-Responsive block copolymer of polyethylene glycol and poly-l-lysine. Biomaterials. 33, 2361.
- Percec V, Wilson DA, Leowanawat P, Wilson CJ, Hughes AD, Kaucher MS, Hammer DA, Levine DH, Kim AJ, Bates FS, Davis KP, Lodge TP, Klein ML, DeVane RH, Aqad E, Rosen BM, Argintaru AO, Sienkowska MJ, Rissanen K, Nummelin S, Ropponen J. (2010) Self-Assembly of Janus-Dendrimers into Monodisperse Dendrosomes and other Complex Architectures. Science. 328, 1009.
- Kim AJ, Kaucher MS, Davis KP, Peterca M, Iman MR, Christian NA, Levine DH, Bates FS, Percec V, Hammer DA. (2009) Proton Transport through Dendritic Helical Pore incorporated Polymersomes. Advanced Functional Materials. 19, 2930.
- Kim AJ*, Scarlett R*, Biancaniello PL, Sinno TR, Crocker JC. (2009) Probing interfacial equilibration in microsphere crystals formed by DNA-directed assembly. Nature Materials. 8, 52.
- Biancaniello PL, Kim AJ, Crocker JC. (2008) Long-time stretched exponential kinetics in the single DNA duplex dissociation. Biophysical Journal. 94, 891.
- Kaucher MS, Dulcey AE, Peterca M, Kim AJ, Vinogradov SA, Hammer DA, Heiney PA, Percec V. (2007) Selective Transport of Water Mediated by Porous Dendritic Dipeptide. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 129, 11698.
- Moon JH, Kim AJ, Crocker JC, Yang S. (2007) High-throughput synthesis of anisotropic colloids via holographic lithography. Advanced Materials. 19, 2508.
- Kim AJ, Biancaniello PL, Crocker JC. (2006) Engineering DNA-mediated Colloidal Crystallization. Langmuir. 22, 1991.
- Biancaniello PL, Kim AJ, Crocker JC. (2005) Colloidal Interactions and Self-Assembly Using DNA Hybridization. Physical Review Letters. 94, 58302.
- Kim AJ, Manoharan VN, Crocker JC. (2005) Swelling-Based Method for Preparing Stable, Functionalized Polymer Colloids. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 127, 1592.
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.