Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery, Anatomy and Neurobiology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, Dr. Woodworth received his B.S. in Chemistry from Tufts University, M.D. from Johns Hopkins University, and completed his residency in neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins. Dr. Woodworth received additional fellowship training in Nanomedicine (Johns Hopkins) and Neuro-endoscopy (Cornell NYPH). Dr. Woodworth is the Director of Neurosurgical Oncology, and an active member of the UM Greenebaum Cancer Center. He specializes in the treatment of patients with benign and malignant tumors of the brain and spine.
As Director of the Department's Translational Research Laboratory, Dr. Woodworth studies and develops advanced drug and gene delivery systems for brain cancer. A long-standing problem in the treatment of glioblastoma, the most common and deadly primary brain cancer, is delivery of therapeutics to invading tumor cells. Systemically administered therapies reach these cells in low concentrations due in part to the intact blood brain barrier (BBB), and in part due to their far distance from the main or resectable tumor mass in functioning brain tissue. Therefore, effective delivery to the invading cancer cells, in particular modulation of genes and cellular pathways responsible for the disease pathogenesis, represents a promising therapeutic approach. To address these challenges, Dr. Woodworth investigates the delivery of therapeutic nanoparticles and drug formulations augmented by MR-guided focused ultrasound (MRgFUS) and convection enhanced delivery (CED). The laboratory also collaborates with leading brain cancer researchers to test these therapies in the most advanced and relevant brain cancer models. These approaches are anticipated to provide safe methods to achieve sustained therapeutic delivery, while achieving targeting efficiency beyond what can be realized with standard, often more complex strategies. In addition, it is envisioned that such delivery systems could be broadly used to treat a variety of brain disorders.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Saracino DA, Steinberg JA, Vergo MT, Woodworth GF, Tetzlaff CN, Richert C. 5'-Peptidyl Substituents Allow a Tuning of the Affinity of Oligodeoxyribonucleotides for RNA. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 1998, 8, 2511-2516.
- Brooks PR, Wirtz MC, Vetelino MG, Woodworth GF, Morgan BP, Coe JW. Boron Trichloride/Tetra-n-Butylammonium Iodide: A Mild, Selective Combination Reagent for the Cleavage of Primary Alkyl Esters and Aryl Ethers. Journal of Organic Chemistry, 1999, 64, 9719-9721.
- Morgan BP, Trilles RV, Woodworth GF. New, Scalable Route for the Synthesis of a Trans-Fused Hexahydo-1H-phenathre-2-one from a Conjugated Tetrahydro-3H- phenathre-2-one. Synthetic Communications, 2003, 33(6), 915-920.
- Morgan, BP, Liu, KK, Dalvie, DK, Swick, AG, Hargrove, DM, Wilson, TC, LaFlamme, JA, Moynihan, MS, Rushing, MA, Woodworth, GF, Li, J. Trilles, RV, Yang, X. Harper, KW, Carroll, RS, Martin, KA, Nardone, NA, O’Donnell, JP, Faletto, MB, Vage, C, Soliman, V. Discovery of Potent, Non-Steroidal, and Highly Selective Glucocorticoid Receptor Antagonists with Anti-Obesity Activity, Letters in Drug Discovery and Design, 2004, 1, 1-5.
- McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Lynch JR, Laskowitz DT. Statins for the treatment of neurological injury: A role beyond cholesterol lowering. Clinical Neurosurgery, 2003, 51, 320-328.
- McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Thomas G, Miller N, Williams M, Rigamonti D. Cerebrospinal fluid shunting for pseudotumor cerebri associated intractable headache: Predictors of treatment response and analysis of long-term outcomes. Journal of Neurosurgery, 2004, 101, 4, 627-632.
- Woodworth GF, McGirt MJ, Rigamonti D. Use of ventriculoperitoneal shunts in patients with uncontrollable intracranial hypertension secondary to HIV-associated cryptococcal meningitis. Surg Neurol. 2005 Jun;63(6):529-31
- McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Pradilla, G, Warner D, Tamargo R, Clatterbuck RC, Lynch DR, Laskowitz DT. Simvastatin attenuates experimental cerebral vasospasm and ameliorates serum markers of neuronal and endothelial injury in patients after subarachnoid hemorrhage: A dose-response effect dependent on endothelial nitric oxide synthase. Clin Neurosurg., 52:371-8, 2005.
- McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Frazier JM, Coon AL, Olivi A, Weingart JD. Independent predictors of morbidity after image-guided stereotactic brain biopsy: A risk assessment of 270 cases. Journal of Neurosurgery, 102: 897-901, 2005
- Woodworth GF, McGirt MJ, Samdani A, Garonzik I, Olivi A, Weingart JD. Accuracy of frameless and frame-based MRI-guided stereotactic brain biopsy in the diagnosis of glioma: Comparison of biopsy and open resection specimen. Neurological Research, 27(4), 358-62, 2005
- Woodworth GF, McGirt MJ, Rigamonti D. Frameless stereotactic ventricular shunt placement for pseudotumor cerebri. Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, 83(1), 12-6, 2005
- Sciubba D, Stuart RM, McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Jallo GI, Carson B. Effect of antibiotic-impregnated shunt catheters in decreasing the incidence of shunt infection in the treatment of hydrocephalus. Journal of Neurosurgery, 103(2), 131-6, 2005
- Woodworth GF, McGirt MJ, Gailloud P, Clatterbuck RC. Evaluation of a distal, non-mycotic pericallosal artery aneurysm visualized with 3-dimensional digital subtraction angiography: case report and treatment implications. Surgical Neurology, 2005 Oct;64(4):321-4.
- Cowan JA, McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Rigamonti DR, Williams MA. The syndrome of hydrocephalus in young and middle-aged adults (SHYMA). Neurological Research,. 2005 Jul;27(5):540-7.
- McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Coon AC, Thomas G, Williams M, Rigamonti D. Diagnosis, treatment, and analysis of long-term outcomes in idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus. Neurosurgery, Oct.57(4), 699-705, 2005
- McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Coon A, Brooke B, Jain S, Buck D, Tamargo R, Perler B. Statins, HMG CoA-reductase inhibitors, reduce the risk of neurological sequelae after carotid endarterectomy: A novel role for a potential neuroprotectant. Journal of Vascular Surgery, Nov.42(5), 829-36, 2005
- Thomas G, McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Williams M, Hillis A, Rigamonti D. Neuropsychological profile can predict cognitive response to CSF shunting for idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord, 20(2-3), 163-8, 2005
- Woodworth GF, McGirt MJ, Samdani A, Garonzik I, Olivi A, Weingart JD. Frameless Image-Guided Stereotactic Brain Biopsy: Diagnostic Yield, Operative Morbidity, and Comparison with the Frame-based Technique. Journal of Neurosurgery, Feb.104(2), 233-7, 2006
- McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF , Coon A, Brooke B, Jain S, Buck D, Tamargo RJ, Perler B. Hyperglycemia independently increases the risk of perioperative stroke, myocardial infarction, and death after carotid endarterectomy. Neurosurgery, Jun.58(6), 1066-73, 2006
- Sciubba DM, Mavinkurve GG, Gailloud P, Garonzik IM, Recinos PF, McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Witham T, Khavkin Y, Gokaslan ZL, Wolinsky JP. Preoperative imaging of cervical spine hemangioblastomas using three-dimensional fusion digital subtraction angiography. Report of two cases. J Neurosurg Spine. 2006 Jul;5(1):96-100.
- McGirt MJ, Blessing R, Alexander MJ, Nimjee SM, Woodworth GF, Friedman AH, Graffagnino C, Laskowitz DT, Lynch JR. Risk of cerebral vasopasm after subarachnoid hemorrhage reduced by statin therapy: A multivariate analysis of an institutional experience. J Neurosurg. Nov;105(5):671-4, 2006
- McGirt MJ, Buck D, Woodworth GF, Sciubba D, Carson B, Jallo GI. Adjustable versus set-pressure valves decrease the risk of shunt failure in the treatment of pediatric hydrocephalus. Childs Nerv Syst. Mar;23(3):289-95, 2007
- Dunn IF, Woodworth GF, Siddiqui A, Smith ER, Vates GE, Day AL, Goumnerova L. Traumatic pericallosal artery aneurysm—a rare complication of the transcallosal surgical approach. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, Feb; 106(2), 2007
- Woodworth GF, McGirt MJ, Thomas G, Williams M, Rigamonti D. Prior CSF Shunting Increases the Risk of Treatment Failure Following Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy for Adults with Obstructive Hydrocephalus. Neurological Research, 2007 Jan;29(1):27-31.
- Brooke BS, McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Chang DC, Roseborough GS, Freischlag JA, Perler BA.Preoperative statin and diuretic use influence the presentation of patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy: Results of a large single-institution case-control study. J Vasc Surg. Feb;45(2):298-303, 2007.
- Sciubba DM, Gallia GL, McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Garonzik IM, Witham T, Gokaslan ZL, Wolinsky JP. Thoracic kyphotic deformity reduction with a distractible titanium cage via an entirely posterior approach. Neurosurgery. 2007 Apr;60(4 Suppl 2):223-30.
- Sciubba DM, McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Carson B, Jallo GI. Prolonged exposure to antibiotic-impregnated shunt catheters does not increase incidence of late shunt infections. Childs Nerv Syst,. 2007 Aug;23(8):867-71
- Sciubba DM, Lin LM, Woodworth GF, McGirt MJ, Carson B, Jallo GI. Factors contributing to medically incurred costs for CSF shunt infection treatment are greater in pediatric patients with standard shunt components versus those with antibiotic-impregnated components. Neurosurg Focus. 2007 Apr 15;22(4):E9
- Woodworth GF, Chaichana K, McGirt MJ, Sciubba D, Gokaslan Z. Predictors of ambulatory status following resection of intramedullary spinal cords tumors. Neurosurgery, 2007 Jul;61(1):99-105
- Woodworth GF, McGirt MJ, Huang J, Perler B, Clatterbuck RC, Tamargo RJ. Selective versus Routine Intraoperative Shunting during Carotid Endarterectomy: A Multivariate Outcome Analysis. Neurosurgery, 2007 Dec; 61(6) 1170-6.
- McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Ali H, Tamargo RJ, Clatterbuck RC. Perioperative hyperglycemia is an independent predictor of poor outcome after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurosurgery, 2007 Dec; 107(6):1080-5.
- McGirt MJ, Chaichana KL, Atiba A, Attenello F, Woodworth GF, Jallo GI. Neurological outcome after resection of intramedullary spinal cord tumors in children. Childs Nerv Syst. 2008 Jan; 24(1) 93-7.
- Chaichana K, Woodworth GF, McGirt MJ, Sciubba D, Gokaslan Z. Predictors of ambulatory status following resection of metastatic spinal cords tumors. Neurosurgery 2008 Mar;62(3):683-92
- Murphy K, Wyse G, Gailloud P, Woodworth GF, Sciubba DM, Oka M, Sasson AD, Long D. Two-needle technique for the treatment of symptomatic tarlov cysts. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2008 May;19(5):771-3.
- Sciubba D, Chaichana K, Woodworth GF, McGirt MJ, Gokaslan Z., Jallo GI. Factors associated with cervical instability requiring fusion after cervical laminectomy for intradural tumor resection. J Neurosurg Spine. 2008 May;8(5):413-9
- Sheth SA, McGirt M, Woodworth GF, Wang P, Rigamonti D., Ultrasound guidance for distal insertion of ventriculo-atrial shunt catheters: technical note. Neurol Res. 2009 Apr;31(3):280-2. Epub 2008 Nov 26.
- Woodworth GF, McGirt MJ, Williams MA, Rigamonti D. Cerebral Spinal Fluid Drainage and Dynamics in the Diagnosis of Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. Neurosurgery 2009 May; 64(5):919-25; discussion 925-6. Editors Choice
- Chaichana KL, McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Datoo G, Tamargo RJ, Weingart J, Olivi A, Brem H, Quinones-Hinojosa A. Persistent outpatient hyperglycemia is independently associated with survival, recurrence and malignant degeneration following surgery for hemispheric low grade gliomas. Neurol Res. Jul 8 2009.
- Woodworth GF, Baird CJ, Garcia-Ambrossi G, Tonascia J, Tamargo RJ. Inaccuracy of the administrative database: comparative analysis of two databases for the diagnosis and treatment of intracranial aneurysms. Neurosurgery2009 Aug;65(2):251-6; discussion 256-7.
- Woodworth GF, See A, Bettegowda C, Jallo G, Rigamonti D. Predictors of surgery-free outcome in adult endoscopic third ventriculostomy. World Neurosurg, 2011 Nov.7
- Link T, Woodworth GF, Chaichana KL, Mayer SA, Grossman RS, Quinones-Hinojosa A. Hyperglycemia is independently associated with post-operative function loss in primary glioblastoma. J Clin Neurosci. 2012 Jul;19(7):996-1000.
- Raithatha R, McCoul ED, Woodworth GF, Schwartz TH, Anand VK. Endoscopic endonasal approaches to the cavernous sinus. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2012 Jan-Feb;2(1):9-15.
- Nance EA*, Woodworth GF*, Sailor K, Tamargo RJ, Eberhart CE, Hanes J. A dense poly(ethylene glycol) coating improves penetration of large polymeric nanoparticles within brain tissue. Sci Transl Med. 2012 Aug 29;4(149):149ra119. [* co-first authors]
- Schuster B, Suk JS, Kim A, Woodworth GF, Hanes J. Nanoparticle diffusion in respiratory mucus from humans without lung disease. Biomaterials 2013 Apr;34(13):3439-46
- Woodworth GF, Garzon-Muvdi T, Blakeley JO, Yu X, Weingart J & Burger PC, Histo-pathological correlates with survival in re-operated glioblastoma. In press J.Neuro-Oncology
- Woodworth GF, Kunal PS, Shin B, Burkhardt JK, Touris AJ, McCoul ED, Anand VK, Schwartz TS. Surgical Outcomes Using a Medial-to-Lateral, Endonasal Endoscopic Approach to Pituitary Adenomas Invading the Cavernous Sinus. Submitted Neurosurgery
- Subtemporal Extradural Approach – Core techniques in Operative Neurosurgery. Edited by: Rahul Jandial, MD, PhD; Paul C. McCormick, MD, MPH, FACS; Peter M. Black, MD, PhD.
- Intracystic Therapies for Craniopharygioma - Controversies in Brain Tumor Surgery. Edited by Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa, M.D.
Invited Reviews and Commentaries
- Woodworth GF, Schwartz TH. Anatomic Lines and Extent of Exposure in Expanded Endoscopic Approaches to the Cranio-Vertebral Junction. World Neurosurgery, 76(1-2):76-8, 2011.
- Woodworth GF, McCoul E, Anand V, Schwartz TH. Endoscopic management of anterior cranial fossa meningiomas. Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, 22(4), 254-262, 2011.
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.