- Research Instructor (Anatomy & Pathology): Jefferson Medical College, 2004-2006
- Resident (Anatomic Pathology): University of California at Los Angeles, 2006-2008
- Fellow (Neuropathology): University of California at Los Angeles, 2008-2010
- Research Scholar: University of California at Los Angeles, 2010-2011
- Visiting Assistant Research Professor: Indiana University, 2011
- Assistant Professor: University of Maryland, 2011-present
- 1997: National Westinghouse Science Research Talent Competition, Semifinalist
- 1997: United States Public Health Service Award for Excellence in Research, First Pl
- 1997: United States Navy/Marine Corp Distinguished Achievement Award in Research
- 1997: American Society for Microbiology Award for Excellence in Research, Second Pl
- 1997: The Patent and Trademark Office Society Research Award
- 1997: Fairfax County Health Dept. Research Award for Health and Hygiene, 3rd Pl
- 2009: American Association of Neuropathologists Matthew T. Moore Research Award
- 2009: Piansky Research Award in Cardiovascular Pathology, UCLA Dept. of Pathology
- 2009: Gustaf Retzius Neuroanatomy Competition, Honorable Mention
- 2010: Oppenheimer CTSG Research Award, UCLA School of Medicine
- 2011: Easton Center Award for Alzheimer Disease Research, UCLA Dept of Neurology
- 2012: American Association of Neuropathologists Hirano Award, Honorable Mention
- 2014: Microcirculatory Society Travel Award, Small Blood Vessel Workshop at NIH
- Anatomic Pathology (2010)
- Neuropathology (2012)
Stroke, Vascular diseases
- American Association of Neuropathologists (AANP)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP)
Mehta RI, Lytle CD, Thomas DP, Myers MR. The cause of cessation of viral passage through holes in latex condoms. J Nat Rubber Research. 1998;1:1-13.
Mehta RI, Cutler AR, Lasky L, Yong WH, Lerner JT, Hirota B, Salamon N, Mathern GW, Vinters HV. “Primary” leptomeningeal medulloblastoma. Hum Pathol. 2009; 40:1661-5.
Mehta RI, Mehta RI, Fishbein MC, Solis OE, Jahan R, Salamon N, Vinters HV, Yong WH. Intravascular polymer material following coil embolization of a giant cerebral aneurysm. Hum Pathol. 2009;40:1803-7.
Solis OE, Mehta RI, Kalanithi S, Bordelon Y, Salamon N, Yong WH, Vinters HV. Primary angiitis of the CNS (PACNS) with predominant cranial neuropathy and spinal cord involvement. Neuropathology. 2010;30:267-272.
Mehta RI, Lai CK, Kee S, Fishbein MC. Intrapulmonary ectopic liver after orthotopic heart transplantation. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010;134:1060-2.
Mehta RI, Mehta RI, Solis OE, Salamon N, Jahan R, Yong WH, Vinters HV, Fishbein MC. Hydrophilic polymer emboli: An under-recognized iatrogenic cause of ischemia and infarct. Mod Pathol. 2010;23:921-30.
Mehta RI, Salamon N, Zipser B, Mehta RI. Best cases from the AFIP: Giant intracerebral aneurysm. Radiographics. 2010;30:1133-8.
Mehta RI, Mukherjee A, Patterson T, Fishbein MC. Calcification in failed polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) vascular grafts. Cardiovasc Pathol. 2011:20;213-21.
Solis OE, Mehta RI, Green RM, Lai A, Vinters HV, Yong WH. Rosette-forming glioneuronal tumor (RGNT) of the pineal region: A case report with IDH1 mutation analysis and review. J Neurooncol. 2011;102:477-84.
Mukherjee A, Solis OE, Salamon N, Mehta RI. 49-year-old transplant recipient with fever and altered mental status. Brain Pathol. 2012;22:729-32.
Simard JM, Tosun C, Ivanova S, Kurland DB, Hong C, Radecki L, Gisriel C, Mehta RI, Schreibman D, Gerzanich V. Heparin Reduces Neuroinflammation and Transsynaptic Neuronal Apoptosis in a Model of Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. Transl Stroke Res 2012;3:155-165.
Kunte H, Busch MA, Trostdorf K, Vollnberg B, Harms L, Mehta RI, Castellani RJ, Mandava P, Kent TA, Simard JM. Hemorrhagic Transformation of Ischemic Stroke in Diabetics on Sulfonylureas. Ann Neurol. 2012;72:799-806.
Yadav N, Bhatia S, Ragheb J, Mehta RI, Jayakar P, Yong W, Lin WC. In vivo detection of epileptic brain tissue using static fluorescence and diffuse reflectance spectroscopy. J Biomed Opt. 2013;18:27006.
Hersh DS, Mehta RI, Woodworth GF, Castellani RJ. The emerging combined molecular and histopathological characterization of primary brain tumors. Pathology Case Reviews 2013;18:210-20.
Mehta RI, Ivanova S, Tosun C, Castellani RJ, Gerzanich V, Simard JM. Sulfonylurea receptor 1 expression in human cerebral infarcts. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2013;72:871-83.
Tosun C, Kurland DB, Mehta RI, Castellani RJ, deJong JL, Kwon MS, Woo SK, Gerzanich V, Simard JM. Inhibition of the Sur1-Trpm4 channel reduces neuroinflammation and cognitive impairment in subarachnoid hemorrhage. Stroke. 2013;44:3522-8.
Harvey R, Mehta RI, Morales R, Eisenman D. An unusual case of chronic otorrhea. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014;140:75-6.
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.