Dr. Yu received his Master degree from Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2002 and PhD from University of Maryland at Baltimore in 2011. He worked here as a post-doctoral fellow for one year before he joined the faculty of school of medicine in 2012.
Dr. Yu's research focuses on lipid storage and utilization processes and the effects to human diseases, such as obesity and diabetes.
Fat tissue is now recognized as the largest endocrine organ rather than the passive fat storage depot, and secretes a lot of adipokines to regulate the adipose tissue and/or whole body functions. Dys-regulation of fat storage in adipocytes or other cells leads to diseases. Dr. Yu's studies show that one of the adipokines, omentin, can activate AMP-activated protein Kinase (AMPK) and increases glucose uptake and fatty acid oxidation. Combining the fact that omentin expression is decreased with obesity, it suggests that omentin can protect human from obesity by enhancing energy expenditure.
Induced Pluripotent Stem cell (iPSC) technology is a powerful tool for basic research and personalized cell therapy. Dr. Yu has applied this technology in his research. He generated iPSCs from patients with diabetes, congenital lipodystrophy, Niemann-Pick disease, type C and breast cancer, and is using these cells for disease modeling and drug screening.
- Celia M. de Souza Batista, Rong-Ze Yang, Mi-Jeong Lee, Nicole M. Glynn, Daozhan Yu, Jessica Pray, Kelechi Ndubuizu, Susheel Patil, Alan Schwartz, Mark Kligman, Susan K. Fried, Da-Wei Gong, Alan R. Shuldiner, Toni I. Pollin, and John C. McLenithan, Omentin Plasma Levels and Gene Expressd Are Decreased in Obesity, Diabetes.H 2007 Jun;56(6):1655-61.
- Ming Bell, Hong Wang, Hui Chen, John C. McLenithan, Da-Wei Gong, Rong-Ze Yang, Daozhan Yu, Susan K. Fried, Michael J. Quon, Constantine Londos, and Carole Sztalryd, Consequences of Lipid Droplet Coat Protein Downregulation in Liver Cells: Abnormal Lipid Droplet Metabolism and Induction of Insulin Resistance, Diabetes, 2008 August, 57(8):2037-2045
- Li Liu, Shao Zhong, Rongze Yang, Hong Hu, Daozhan Yu, Dalong Zhu, Zichun Hua, Alan R. Shuldiner, Richard Goldstein, William J. Reagan, and Da-Wei Gong Expression, purification, and initial characterization of human alanine aminotransferase (ALT) isoenzyme 1 and 2 in High-five insect cells, HProtein Expr Purif. 2008 August; 60(2): 225-231.
- Joel Davis, Daozhan Yu, Wendy Evans, Tufan Gokirmak, Roger T. Chetelat, and Henrik U. Stotz Mapping of loci from Solanum lycopersicoides conferring resistance or susceptibility to Botrytis cinerea in tomato, Theor Appl Genet. 2009 July; 119(2): 305-314.
- Rongze Yang, Xiaochun Wang, Sanjay Jadaho, Daozhan Yu, Hong Hu, Nikki Glynn, Carole Woodle, Kristi Silver, and Da-Wei Gong, TMED6 is selectively expressed in pancreatic islet and implicated in insulin secretion and diabetes, Pancreas, 2012 Jan;41(1):10-4.
- Daozhan Yu, Rongze Yang, Hong Hu, John C. McLenithan, Susan K. Fried, Alan R. Shuldiner, Da-wei Gong, Omentin Activates AMPK regulating Glucose and Fatty Acid Metabolism, in writing.
- Daozhan Yu, Rongze Yang, Mi-Jeong Lee, Celia M. de Souza Batista, John C. McLenithan, Da-wei Gong, Interplay of IL6 and Omentin during Inflammation, in writing.
- Daozhan Yu, Rongze Yang, Ke Liu, Kun Qian, Guoyu Tong, Sheng Bi, Chris Austin, Alan Shuldiner, Wei Zheng and Dawei Gong et al, Bufexamac suppresses body weight gain and protects against diet-induced obesity in mice, in writing.
- Soren Snitker, Keming Xie, Kathleen A. Ryan, Daozhan Yu, Alan R. Shuldiner, Braxton D. Mitchell and Da-Wei Gong, Circulating MMP-9 is Correlated with White Blood Cell Count in Healthy People and Elevated in Cigarette Smokers, PLOS,2013, Submitted.