Post-doctoral Research Associate at the Center for Shock, Trauma, and Anesthesiology Research (STAR-ORC) and Department of Anesthesiology, with experience leading and performing traumatic brain injury (TBI) research using experimental models for investigation of underlying pathophysiological mechanisms and evaluation of therapeutics targeted to improve clinical translation and behavioral outcomes.
Design, structure and perform brain injury research using experimental (in vivo) TBI models, followed by post-injury assessments of behavioral and histological outcomes using innovative behavioral techniques and unbiased stereology, respectively, and drug screening and statistical data analysis.
Lab Techniques and Equipment:
- Neuroscience - Experimental Models of TBI Induction (Mouse Controlled Cortical Impact and Rat Lateral Fluid Percussion)
- Behavioral Pharmacology - Functional tests for assessment of motor, cognition and anxiety and depressive-like behavior.
- Pharmaceutical Sciences - Pharmacology.
- Biostatistics - GraphPad Prism and SigmaPlot.
- Unbiased Stereology - StereoInvestigator, Neurolucida and Stereologer 2000.
- Immunohistochemistry and Immunofluorescence.
- S.V. Kabadi, A.I. Faden. Neuroprotective strategies for traumatic brain injury: improving clinical translation. IJMS (Special Issue: Neuroprotective Strategies 2013). 2014; 15(1):1216-36.
- S.V. Kabadi, B.A. Stoica, D.J. Loane, T. Luo, A.I. Faden. CR8, a novel inhibitor of CDK, limits microglial activation, astrocytosis, neuronal loss and neurological dysfunction after experimental traumatic brain injury. J Cereb Blood Flow & Metab. 2014; 34(3):502-13.
- B.A. Stoica, D.J. Loane, Z. Zhao, S.V. Kabadi, M. Hanscom, K.R. Byrnes, A.I. Faden. PARP-1 Inhibition Attenuates Neuronal Loss, Microglia Activation and Neurological Deficits after Traumatic Brain Injury. J Neurotrauma. 2014 [Epub ahead of print].
- T. Luo, J. Wu, S.V. Kabadi, B. Sabirzhanov, K. Guanciale, M. Hanscom, J. Faden, K. Cardiff, C. Bengson, A.I. Faden. Propofol limit microglial activation after experimental brain trauma through inhibition of NADPH oxidase. Anesthesiol. 2013; 119(6):1370-88.
- S.V. Kabadi, B.A. Stoica, M. Hancscom, D.J. Loane, G. Kharebava, M.G. Murray II, R.M. Cabatbat, A.I. Faden. CR8, a selective and potent CDK inhibitor, provides neuroprotection in experimental traumatic brain injury. Neurotherapeutics 2012; 9(2): 405-21.
- S.V. Kabadi, B.A. Stoica, D.J. Loane, K.R. Byrnes, M. Hanscom, R.M. Cabatbat, M.T. Tan, A.I. Faden. Cyclin D1 gene ablation confers neuroprotection in traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma. 2012; 29(5): 813-27.
- S.V. Kabadi, B.A. Stoica, K.R. Byrnes, M. Hanscom, D.J. Loane, A.I. Faden. Selective CDK inhibitor limits neuroinflammation and progressive neurodegeneration after brain trauma. J Cereb Blood Flow & Metab. 2012; 32(1): 137-49.
- S.V. Kabadi, G.D. Hilton, B.A. Stoica, D.N. Zapple, A.I. Faden. Fluid-percussion-induced traumatic brain injury models in rats. Nat Protocols. 2010; 5(9): 1552-63.
- S.V. Kabadi, T.J. Maher. Post-treatment with uridine and melatonin following traumatic brain injury reduces edema formation in various brain regions in rats. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 2010; 1199: 105-13.
- S.V. Kabadi, A. Ally. New and Views: Negative cardiotropism by catestatin and its variants. Endocrinol. 2008; 149(10): 4778-9.
Links of Interest:Lab for the Study of Central Nervous System Injury
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.