- MD: Medical Center of Fudan University, China
- Ph.D: Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Tokyo, Japan
- PostDoc.: Molecular Medicine, Columbia University, NY
- Residency: Internal Medicine/St. Peter's University Hospital, NJ; Nuclear Medicine/Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, PA
- Fellowship: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, PA
More than a decade of research experiences in molecular and cellular biology of lipid metabolism and atherosclerosis, and 8 years of experience in nuclear medicine, particularly PET/CT imaging both in clinical and research settings. 50 papers and book chapters in the basic science and imaging of atherosclerosis as well as clinical Nuclear Medicine.
Molecular PET/CT imaging of atherosclerosis
Grants & Contracts:
07/2013-06/2017, Co-Investigator, R01CA172638, NIH/NCI
PI: Dr. Wei Lu, Department of Radiation Oncology, UMB Quantitative PET/CT Analysis to Improve Evaluation of Tumor Response
Role: to assist Dr. Lu in project design, provide extensive PET/CT imaging interpretation, review/perform image registration and tumor segmentation, and evaluate the clinical significance of results.
Total Direct Cost of $830,000 for 4 years (my portion of effort: 6.4%)
18F-Proline PET/CT Imaging for the Detection of Early Liver Fibrosis UMB/UMCP seed fund
Total Direct Costs: $75,000
Glucose metabolism in macrophage foam cells: Molecular mechanism for FDG-PET imaging of atherosclerosis Pilot research grant Nuclear Medicine/Molecular Imaging SNMMI
Total Direct Costs: $10,000
- Cao Q, Hersl J, La H, Smith M, Jenkins J, Goloubeva O, Dilsizian V, Tkaczuk K, Chen W (corresponding author), Jones L. A pilot study of FDG PET/CT detects a link between brown adipose tissue and breast cancer. BMC Cancer. 2014, 14(1):126-131.
- Zhang H, Tan S, Chen W, Kligerman S, Kim G, D'Souza W, Suntharalingam M, and Lu W. Modeling pathologic response of esophageal cancer to chemoradiotherapy using spatial temporal FDG PET features, clinical parameters, and demographics. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014, 88(1):195-203.
- Chen W, Codreanu I, Yang J, Li G, Servaes S, and Zhuang H. Tube feeding is increasing the gastric emptying rate determined by gastroesophageal scintigraphy. Clin Nucl Med. 2013, 38(12):962-965.
- Tan S, Zhang H, Zhang Y, Chen W, D'Souza W, and Lu W. Predicting Pathologic Tumor Response to Chemo-Radiotherapy with Histogram Distances Characterizing Longitudinal Changes in 18F-FDG Uptake Patterns. Med. Physics. 2013, 40(10):101707.
- Tan S, Kligerman S, Chen W, Lu M, Kim G, Feigenberg S, D'Souza W, Suntharalingam M, Lu W. Spatial-Temporal FDG-PET Features for Predicting Pathologic Response of Esophageal Cancer to Neoadjuvant Chemoradiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013, 85(5): 1375-1382.
- Chen W, Zhuang H, Cheng G, Torigian DA, Alavi A. Comparison of FDG-PET, MRI and CT for post radiofrequency ablation evaluation of hepatic tumors. Ann Nucl Med 2013, Jan, 27(1):58-64
- Cheng G, Chen W, Chamroonrat W, Torigian DA, Zhuang H, Alavi A. Biopsy versus FDG PET/CT in the initial evaluation of bone marrow involvement in pediatric lymphoma patients. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2011, 38(8):1469-1476.
- Bural GG, Torigian DA, Chen W, Houseni M, Basu S, Alavi A. Increased 18F-FDG uptake within the reticuloendothelial system in patients with active lung cancer on PET imaging may indicate activation of the systemic immune response. Hell J Nucl Med. 2010, 13(1):23-25.
- Chen W, Parson M, Torigian DA, Zhuang H, Alavi A. Evaluation of thyroid FDG uptake incidentally identified on FDG-PET/CT imaging. Nucl Med Commun. 2009, 30(3):240-244.
Faculty members: Update your contact information and create a profile.