1977-1985: Faculty Research Associate/Social Worker
1978-1985: Field Work Instructor, UMB School of Social Work
1987-96, 2000: Adjunct Assistant Clinical Professor
1985-Present: Assistant Clinical/Research Professor (Voluntary) University of Maryland School of Medicine, Dept of Psychiatry, Maryland Psychiatric Research Center (MPRC)
MAJOR ACADEMIC TASKS
1979-1985: Director of Patient Recruitment at the MPRC Outpatient Program and Primary clinician
1985-1996: Founder and Director of Harbor City Unlimited (HCU) Community Rehabilitation, Residential and Vocational Program for Individuals with psychiatric disabilities
1987-Present: CEO, Harbor City Services, Inc. 501(C) 3 – A social enterprise/Employment for Individuals with Psychiatric Disabilities and/or Addictions.
1989: Founder "Mocktails", a Non-Alcoholic Nite Club for Individuals with Mental Illness (US Dept of Education, RSA Grant-Special Recreation Services for the Disabled)
1993-1996: Chair, Task Force on Cognitive Remediation, HCU
1995-1999: Staff, Research Integration Committee, Division of Community Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, UMB
1995-1999: Member, Behavioral Health Managed Care Committee, Department of Psychiatry, UMB
1996-1999: Regional Director of the Division of Community Psychiatry, UMMS
1996-1999: Director, Southwestern CMHC (Behavioral Health and Research System), Baltimore County
• Co-Investigator NIMH Dual Diagnosis (Substance Abuse and Mental Illness) and Rehabilitation of the Chronically Mentally Ill, 1987-1990; $375,000
• Principal Investigator "A Social Club for the Psychiatrically Disabled", 1989-1993, Department of Education Rehabilitation Services Administration, $225,000
• Principal Investigator, Social Security Administration, "Using Presumptive Determination with Homeless Mentally Ill", 01/93-01/94; $193,000.
• Co-Investigator, Social Security Administration, "Outreach for SSI to the Mentally Ill in Baltimore City", 1994-1997. $900,000.
• Co-Investigator Social Security Administration and the Department of Agriculture, Outreach for SSI and Food Stamps, 10/01/94 - 06/30/96, $169,000.
• Co-Investigator, CMHSR Vocational Rehabilitation for Psychiatric Disability, 06/01/95 - 05/31/00, 2.5 million.
• Co-Investigator, NIMH Services Research supplement, "Deficit Symptoms in Schizophrenia and Prediction of Service Use", 09/01/95 - 08/30/97, $191,356; HIV prevalence supplement, $89,000
• Grant manager, NIMH Services Research supplement, Sexually-transmitted diseases among the mentally ill and homeless populations” 1997-99, $275,000
• Author, Dept Health and Mental Hygiene Capital Grant for construction of an OMHC in Catonsville, MD, 1999, $1M.
Lehman, A.; Herron, JD; Schwartz, R.; Meyers, CP., "Rehabilitation for Adults with Severe Mental Illness and Substance Use Disorders: A Clinical Trial", Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 1993, Vol. 181, No.2, pp. 86-90.
Herron, JD, An Integrated Approach to Schizophrenia. In: Janzen, C., Dalen, M., and Rauch, J. (Ed.), Contemporary Issues in Field Instruction: An Education and Practice Dialogue (Proceedings of a Conference). Baltimore: University of Maryland School of Social Work, 1981, pp. 27-36.
Herron, JD "Crisis Intervention in Residential Services", Deckelneck, L., Training Manual in Psychiatric Rehabilitation MAPSS 1990, Baltimore, MD.
Herron, JD, "Alternative Services in Community Mental Health" by Hollister, William; Edgerton, J.W. and Hunter, R. in Contemporary Psychiatry, June 1986, Vol. 5, No. 2.
Herron, JD, "The Chronic Mental Patient/II" - edited by W. Walter Menninger, M.D., and Gerald Hannah, in Hospital and Community Psychiatry, Oct. 1988 Vol. 39, No. 10.
Herron, JD, “Emergency Mental Health Services in the Community”-edited by M. Phalen, G. Strathdee and G. Thornicroft in Journal of Consulting Psychology, Oct. 1997.
Herron, JD, "Disabled Poor Often Denied Benefits”, The Evening Sun, Baltimore, MD, May 24, 1982.
Herron, JD, "New Welfare Rules Harass the Mentally Ill”, The Evening Sun, Baltimore, MD, March 1, 1983.
Herron, JD and Bailey, CZ, “The Line Blurs between Nonprofit and Forprofit Businesses” Columbia Business Monthly August 2000
Herron, JD and Bailey, CZ, “Do Businesses have a Social Responsibility?” Columbia Business Monthly September 2000.
Herron, JD and Bailey, CZ, “Venture Philanthropy: An Oxymoron Whose Time Has Come” Columbia Business Monthly November 2000.