Recruitments: Offer Process
Once a final candidate has been selected...
Do NOT make an ORAL or WRITTEN offer until you have obtained Dean’s approval of offer.
Document detailed job qualifications-related reasons for selection and non-selection on the campus Faculty Appointment Report (FAR) in draft form and submit to Office of Academic Administration with offer packet.
- If candidate is being considered for the ranks of Associate Professor or Professor, on the tenure track or with tenure, arrange for the candidate to meet with the Dean for a personal interview as follows:
- Submit to the Office of Academic Administration, BRB 14-008 the Candidate’s CV and a short memo briefing the Dean regarding the context of the meeting and the most significant points you would like to make about the candidate and the position they will be filling.
- OAA will attach the original approved FRIS and give the packet to the Dean’s Office.
- OAA will then inform you when you can contact Dr. Reece’s office to set-up the interview.
- Complete the Background Investigation Request Form and fax to HRS as indicated on the form. If the background investigation is clear, you will receive an email confirmation that must be submitted with your offer packet. If there is a concern identified, your department chair and the Dean's Office will be notified.
Draft the offer letter according to the Draft Offer Boilerplate Letter. (Start date should allow enough time for credentialing and appointment processes to be completed.)
- To obtain Dean’s approval of an offer letter, submit the following documentation to the Office of Academic Administration, BRB 14-008:
- Draft Offer Letter
- Candidate's CV
- Draft Faculty Appointment Report (FAR). Attach copies of ads as they appeared in publications, preferably showing name and date of publication.
- Salary Sheet for Final Candidate, completed and signed by the Department Administrator (and Program Administrator, if applicable).
- HRS Email Confirmation of Clear Background Investigation
- You will be notified once the Dean has approved the offer letter.
- Regarding the recruitment of senior-level faculty (Associate Professor, Professor, tenure track or tenured) in your department: At such time when the candidate accepts an offer of appointment in your department, the Dean’s Office needs to know as soon as possible if any members of the candidate’s research team (ie; other faculty, post-docs and/or research staff) will be extended the opportunity to join him/her in relocating to UMB. It is very important that you make this determination and then provide a definitive list of names and job descriptions/categories as follows:
- You may than offer the candidate the position and gather all Appointment paperwork.